The Man Who Would Be King

How good is The Man Who Would Be King on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I'm not getting this thread - at no point does he say he has regrets.  The line reads:  There’s not a day that goes by he regrets what he’s done
Not:  There’s not a day that goes by he doesn't regret what he’s done
And therefore not:  Every day he regrets what he's done
He says not a day goes by when he regrets it.  Am I being pedantic or missing the point  :huh:

far far away the man who would be king....far far away the man who would be king....soooo far away the man who would be king

some great lines in this album and who is the mystery man who would be king??

FriendlyFire said:
I'm not getting this thread - at no point does he say he has regrets.  The line reads:  There’s not a day that goes by he regrets what he’s done
He says not a day goes by when he regrets it.  Am I being pedantic or missing the point  :huh:

That's actually a valid point there. I never get these grammer issues, but I thought it meant that he did regret it everyday.
If you're correct, this line has no meaning at all.

I seem to have cought everybody of guard with that butt joke huh?

Mega said:
I seem to have cought everybody of guard with that butt joke huh?

Not me, although you had me sitting there for half a minute thinking: "Wow. Just... wow."

FriendlyFire said:
Oh, thanks, that makes sense.  :ok:

Am I the only one who gets a really Asian vibe from the intro lead? In fact, the whole song kind of has this vibe... the lyrics, too. I have no idea what the lyrics are actually about, but I get this picture of a monk traveling through the snowy mountains of Nepal on his way to a temple, and during his journey he reflects on his past.

The sliding lead part during Dave's solo (not sure if this is Adrian or Janick) sounds so much like Rush. Also, the drums are really catchy here - the whole section is very atypical of Maiden. It's cool to see them branch out to some different styles.

The slide part I think it sounds like native Indian music. I can see people dancing (and prancing :p) around a bonfire as night takes the light of the sun, in the middle of a desert.

Jeffmetal said:
The slide part I think it sounds like native Indian music. I can see people dancing (and prancing :p) around a bonfire as night takes the light of the sun, in the middle of a desert.

Love the drums during that bit  :edmetal:

Yeah, man. Nicko's drumming in this part is really inspired, very instinctive. Nicko's amazing! I'd love to listen to an album in which he's the mastermind behind it all, like on the incredible Rhythms Of The Beast with Dave and those brass players. His drumming there is amazing.

Invader said:
Sorry if my post came off smartarse, by the way.  It was a good question, I had to actively look for songs in third person.

You also have From Here To Eternity as an example. And don't forget The Clairvoyant ...

I love that part, sound modal and interesting. Can't believe it's Dave!

Anyway, something's been bothering me, other than that regreting part:
Can you even say "change such a lot"? Sounds like it's there for the rhyme but not grammatically correct.

Brucie said:
Am I the only one who thinks melodies beginning 3:58 and 7:25 are wonderful in this song?

The instrumental part from 3:58 until 5:00 is dreadful and really spoils the rest of the song.

Back