The Man Who Would Be King

How good is The Man Who Would Be King on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Stan said:
I don't know about this one, the 30 second clip just sounded bizarre... it didn't sound like Maiden at all. Hope the song is good.
wait till you hear the section from 3:57 to 5:00.  It's unlike anything you have ever heard from Maiden instrumentally. I would describe it but then it would be a spoiler for you.  And yes, there are MANY MANY parts of this release that do not sound like Maiden at all.  That is the beauty of this album for those of us who like that Maiden have gone proggy.  It's awesome 
GuineaPig said:
I don't like the middle section.  Very jarring and out of place.
if you are talking about 3:57 to 5:00  then I agree that it is jarring and out of place, but to me that is in a good way.  I like it because it sounds like another band that I love that I will not name as not to spoil

He's taken someone’s life away
There’s not a day that goes by he regrets what he’s done
He should have found another way
BUT the good book says an eye for an eye

---

that is my edit

I love this song. The "heavy" intro (after the slow one) with the guitar melodies sounds straight out of POM, the main riff sounds like a more melancholic and much better version of the main tiff from "a thin line...", the bridge reminds me ,somewhat of the melodies from SIT(the album , not the song) and the chorus reminds me of melodic swedish death metal  (in flames e.t.c). I also enjoy the crazy part in the middle.

I think this song kicks the ass of most everything from BNW, DOD and AMOLAD. Its problem (if you can call it that) is that there are significantly better songs on this album. That's saying a lot.

Very well done! Corrections in RED below...

Black_Thunder said:
As he travels on the beast of Burden
Moving up along the mountain side
As he gazes looking down the valley
No regrets but his pride

As he journeys across mountain passes
Insignificance sweeps over him
His reflection of the beauty around him
Feeling empty inside

He is running from his wildest thoughts
He is running from his everything
He is looking now to find something
Hoping he could be saved

He’s searching for the answer now
It's something that he's managed to avoid up until now
Real conviction that he craves
He needs to find the answer sooner than later

Pushed himself to the limits
He had to strive for all the harder things in life
But what the cost to giving now
His life and time are the only things that he has

Life is is not a rehearsal, all he has is the one chance to get it right
Leaving really is only way to know
Maybe one day they’ll forgive him what he’s done
with all the pain of lying too early in the grave

Destiny, no good to hide away
Penance now, will be his only way
Understand, no good to run away
Penance now, will be his saving grace

(solo)

He tries to make his peace with God
All is forgivable but it's left a little late
Trying something that he’s not
Is it possible to change such a lot

He's taken someone’s life away
There’s not a day that goes by he regrets what he’s done
He should have found another way
But the good book says an eye for an eye

In reflecting on decisions that were made
On the judgements that will haunt him ’till his grave
No-one has the right to take another life
But in his mind he had no choice so be it

Penance, we’ll be his only way
understand , no good to run away
Penance now, we’ll be his saving grace
Penance now, we’ll be his only way
understand, no place to run away
Penance now, we’ll be his saving grace

Far, far away
The man who would be king
Far, far away
So far away
So far away
Far, far away

ToAshesHisGrave said:
Thanks so much, Khan! Could you do The Talisman too?

I'll try as I have time. I've not been feeling well the past couple days, and work seems to think that I should feel obliged to show up every day....those bastards! ;)

Khan said:
I'll try as I have time. I've not been feeling well the past couple days, and work seems to think that I should feel obliged to show up every day....those bastards! ;)

Oh, I wasn't trying to push you or anything! I hope it didn't come across that way. But thanks for being so cool. :)

ToAshesHisGrave said:
Oh, I wasn't trying to push you or anything! I hope it didn't come across that way. But thanks for being so cool. :)

No, it didn't come across that way. I just wish I could do more.

Khan said:
What's weird is that this, so far, is maybe one of my least favorites on the album. But that's sort of like having all 50 Miss America contestants in front of you, and picking your least favorite among them. It's a great story, and I love the lack of a chorus. The music really DOEs take your mind into the story and you can picture the character's journey being taken. More great twin guitar leads. I think I just need to soak this song in more....cause definitely is a journey of a song...not one of the immediate catchy ones...and those usually end up being among my favorites. So I have high hopes for this song. God bless Dave Murray...I do love the little guitar accents and such he puts into songs, especially like in the bridge to this...and he solos all over the damn thing...in one really long solo. Love that!
Hey Khan. Listen with a keen ear to the solo from 3:57 to 5:00.......who does that remind you of?  I about flipped out when I first heard that.  And is that Dave or Adrian?  Hard to tell, and I'm usually reaally good at telling the difference.

The middle section sounds a bit like The Garden by GnR. I think it's more the rhythm section that's doing slides than the solo that give it that feel. Slash is good, but Adrian is god!

brother2 said:
This my friends, is  a grower. I love it!

It is.  I loved the verse and the middle section immediately and now the rest (end) is warming up too.

I'll be the blasphemous one here and trumpet that I'm pretty certain I prefer it to Wild Wind, although that's a fine song.

adrian fn rules said:
Hey Khan. Listen with a keen ear to the solo from 3:57 to 5:00.......who does that remind you of?   I about flipped out when I first heard that.   And is that Dave or Adrian?  Hard to tell, and I'm usually reaally good at telling the difference.

That's an excellent question. I am usually very good at picking out the different solos from the guys....however this brilliant little understated piece (too low in the mix, IMO, btw) has the fluidity of Dave, and the technicality of Adrian. however...the tone sounds more like Dave to me...and it's Dave's song....so I'm going to lean towards it being Dave...without being 100% sure.

Suicidehummer said:
I'm gonna say Adrian, but wouldn't it be crazy if it turned out to be Janick? :lol:

What would be crazy is if it was, and that he could play the damn thing note for note live.

I love Janick, but, y'know. :p

It's crazy, my history with this song.  The first couple days, it was a head shaker for me..  It seemed to have too many 'parts' and not enough fluidity.  Last night I'm outside  checking out the southern Nevada sunset. Suddenly the song begins to flow like wine in fine crystal!!  The eerie center parts are so new sounding to Maiden.  The song has finally sunk in and I am loving it.  Soooooooooo far awayyyy...the Man who would be king...awesome!!

This is my least favourite so far, but I've realized it's mainly the chorus I find lacking, the rest of the song have many wonderfull parts. And seriously, if this is the "least" good on an album it's extremely good ;)

You know...this song has taken me the longest time of all the songs, to realllllly get used to...but just right now...as it's playing while I'm typing...its just somehow clicked. Isn't it odd how that happens sometimes? I mean...BAM....it's all good in my head. I still wasn't 100% sure about it until just a few seconds ago....but now, it all sounds beautiful in my head.

Back