The Man Of Sorrows

How good is The Man of Sorrows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
God damn, I wish them outro licks done by Dave were higher in the mix :(

Certainly a better song than The man who would be king, I don't think anyone would argue with that. Adrians solo is also very interesting. A very unusual track overall

For me The Man Who Would Be King is way better than The Man of Sorrows.

Dave Murray best compositions since 2000 (with Harris only) in my opinion: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate -> The Nomad -> The Man Who Would Be King -> Age Of Innocence -> The Man Of Sorrows -> The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

I'd put this up there with Dave's best easily. That last minute is actually the most surprising thing on the whole album. Iron Floyd.

I want to take all back. This song is great. I don't know what kind of brain-fart I had in the morning but this song is quite nice.

I want to take all back. This song is great. I don't know what kind of brain-fart I had in the morning but this song is quite nice.

It's funny how fast an opinion can go back and forth, isn't it? It's still new enough that everything is fluid, nothing has settled in place.

I just can't focus on this song for a week or something so for me it was like "hell, it's just… dunno-song. It is and that's all" but today my friend has come for coffe and she was like "whoa, this is pucking amazing". And since I respect her opinion we listen to this song one more time together and my mind was blown. It's so quiet song and yet it has so many melodies that I just missed them during first 20 playthroughs. :D

There are some of the tracks, particularly on the first part of the album - Great Unknown, Red & The Black, When The River Runs Deep that sounds like a continuation of the AMOLAD style of songwriting and could easily have been on that album. Well, at least to me. These are the songs that just wash over me really when I listen to them.

Man of Sorrows, Tears of a Clown and the opening track really stands out as not just a continuation but something fresh too. They dare a bit more musically in these tracks. I think that's why I like them so much. They stand out to me from what "post-reunion" Maiden has been.

When Tears of a Clown started it was like being woken up and shaken around. Like "Wow, where did that come from" up until then the album had just been driving a long in more or less familiar territory.

Iron Floyd.

:edmetal:

Tears of a Clown and Man of Sorrows are probably the two songs I'll play for those friends who thinks Maiden are a bit of a joke and too cheesy and whose first reaction to the name Iron Maiden is the song Can I Play With Madness....I'm sure these two songs can help me turn their view around that Maiden have more to offer :p

Well, my two friends bought BoS deluxe beacuse of ToaC and EotC. They love techno and consider Iron Maiden joke but after one spin of the disk they made preorder of deluxe. :facepalm:

Another surprisingly heavy track. Me like. It sound a bit like the AMOLAD and TFF songs. If would belong as one of the better songs on either of those albums.

Anyone else think the guitar melodies after the chorus is the most 'maiden' sounding thing on the album ?

After the first two listens I wasn't that impressed by this song, but having the lyrics in front of me - which, by the way, are really good and do touch me in a personal way as I've recently had a person close to me die, who was really suffering for a long time - I've changed my opinion, just like @Meliegree. I like it. I like the melodies, the solos are great (it's Dave then Adrian, right?), the outro atmospheric bit, as @SinisterMinisterX said, is Iron Floyd and it's fantastic, and I wish they had expanded on that part a little bit more.

The only thing that sticks out of this song like a sore thumb is the "Now we need to know the truth now" section (also, what's with the double "now"?) where there's only the simplistic riff and Bruce singing an unrelated melody. And it goes on and on forever. They put in some synths in order to add variety, but it doesn't help much. That should have been revised, because it sounds awkward and simply put - bad. It reminds me of TROBB, which in my opinion sucks hard.

And then comes the chorus and relieves the pain of that section. Maybe that was the idea, who knows.

Everything else - stellar.

This is my number2. Good ol'Davey comes up trumps with some good sounds, but he's done better. 7/10.

Last edited:
So getting my first good luck at the lyrics: fatal disease/euthanasia?
We know Steve lost a two people during the writing/recording process.

So getting my first good luck at the lyrics: fatal disease/euthanasia?
We know Steve lost a two people during the writing/recording process.
I don't know (can you give some source?)
But yeah, that song has this kind of vibe.

I don't know (can you give some source?)
But yeah, that song has this kind of vibe.

No source. It's my interpretation after reading the lyrics and remembering Steve's quote about the recording process.
These lines in particular:

FREE THE ANGRY FROM THEIR PAIN
FREE THE CAPTIVES FROM THE CHAINS
CAST ASIDE THE DOUBT THAT NOTHING GOOD
CAN COME THEIR WAY AGAIN

They come in a context where he seems to be be writing about dying slowly and saying there is a lesson to be learned

AS WE LOOK TO SEE THE MAN OF SORROWS
PASSING KNOWLEDGE TO THOSE WHO DON’T KNOW
AS WE WATCH ALL OUR FRIENDS PASSING OVER
AS THEY PASS THROUGH THE EDGES OF TIME

Back