The Man Of Sorrows

How good is The Man of Sorrows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I like the detailing in the guitars. It has got this loose groove I rally dig. It is unmistakably H. The solos are great. Not much more to say. My main concern regarding the album in general is whether the sound would be any better on the CD. I mean I can't even tell what the initial mp3s quality was!!

Again, this is a song that wouldn't have been amiss on a Bruce album, which seems to be something of a theme for this album as a whole. The solo's are definitely great and there's some unusual stuff going on with the drum bits especially towards the end, which reminded me a bit of The Man Who Would be King. As with some other tracks on here, it needs more listens to truly sink in. Bruce sounds good too.

This one doesn't sit well with me after 4-5 listens. Sounds like 3-4 ideas crammed into one song, as we often get with Maiden. But so far, for me, this one doesn't work that well. I'll give it more listens, but I feel like skipping it so I can listen to EOTC instead!!

Dave being Dave. Bruce greatest performance on the album.

I was searching for the jazzy part Gers have said on one interview, and it is at the very end of this song. Too lame is too short.

I didn't like this one very much at first, but now that it's really grown on me, I'm loving it. And that melodic intro is just incredible!

Official Lyrics:

Like a man without a home
Watching people come and go
Carry on their daily lives
Without a thought for the ones alone
Cast the dream aside like throwing
A pebble into the ocean tide
And I’m feeling so alone again
Free the angry from their pain
Free the captives from the chains
Cast aside the doubt that
Nothing good can come their way again
Living in a world of lies
No matter how or hard we try
Living life without a dream today

Looking through a mist of truth
That we believe an elusive cloud
The things we find are hard to say now
That we live through day to day
Find it hard to force the reasons
Why we find it hard to die

Now we need to know the truth now
Open our eyes that we can see
So we live and breathe again
Better days for you and me
Can we even hope to deliver this
We are so far away

As one turns against the other
With a brother against brother
Situation like no other it’s a picture of despair

As we look to see the man of sorrows
Passing knowledge to those who don’t know
As we watch all our friends passing over
As they pass through the edges of time
And we see what’s ahead that awaits us
That no longer do we feel afraid
So we look to see the man of sorrows
And the light is the darkness no more

As we look to see the man of sorrows
Passing knowledge to those
Who don’t know
As we watch all our friends passing over
As they pass through the edges of time
And we see what’s ahead that awaits us
That no longer do we feel afraid
So we look to see the man of sorrows
And the light is the darkness no more

Again, my gripe with the song is that there's no real guitar riff to be heard on this song. Also, the abrupt slow down of the tempo near the middle of the song sounds bad. Mediocre. I don't see how this could be on anybody's favorite list.

Last edited:
Well, for me this is worst song on whole album. And personally - I'm start to think that … Dave can't write anymore.

Dave being Dave. Bruce greatest performance on the album.

I was searching for the jazzy part Gers have said on one interview, and it is at the very end of this song. Too lame is too short.

Pretty sure it's Davey playing those jazzy licks during the song's melodic outro. I think Janick's only solo in the song is the one right before the jazzy part starts.

I am glad to see there's some more critical viewpoints of the song now in this thread, although I find I don't fully agree with them, just as I don't fully agree with the those who have no issues with the song at all. The more I listen to it, the more I'm finding the song's flaws annoy me less than they did initially. In saying this though, I do find this one the most frustrating song on the album to listen to, although it isn't what I'd consider to be the worst song on the album. The great parts of the song are truly great, but the unimaginative, plain rhythm guitar in parts of the song (namely the one backing the heavy verse, and the ones backing the H and Janick solos) do detract somewhat from what should really have been one of the best songs in the Maiden canon. I never skip the song when it comes on though, because the bits of the song I do love are just awesome.

Great intro from Davey. Love Bruce's vocals. He gets better and better.
The main verse riff is very basic though and then it sort of picks up in the chorus a bit.
This is one of the lightest songs on the album. The rhythm guitars sound a bit thin and then they almost completely fade out in the solos.
Like the chorus but will reserve judgement until I have listened to it a few more times.

I think this poor song suffers from coming so far into a long album. There are some beautiful atmospheric parts, some quite unMaidenlike.

God damn, I wish them outro licks done by Dave were higher in the mix :(

Certainly a better song than The man who would be king, I don't think anyone would argue with that. Adrians solo is also very interesting. A very unusual track overall

Weakest song on the album.
God damn, I wish them outro licks done by Dave were higher in the mix :(

Certainly a better song than The man who would be king, I don't think anyone would argue with that. Adrians solo is also very interesting. A very unusual track overall
I like The Man Who Would Be King better than this one. It's quite wonderful musically. The Man of Sorrows is probably the weakest song on this album. It's nothing special.

I like this song but it just don't stay in my memory. TMWWBK was generic but it was fun to sing along with Bruce. This is quite weak. Or maybe not weak but there are far better tracks.

This was a surprise for me. There are some very strong melodies and vocal lines here. The solos are wonderful, and the ending section is one of my favorite parts on the whole album.

Yeah I don't understand the flak this seems to get. I thought this was great. Beautiful intro with some great emotional guitar playing. When Bruce comes in and starts singing you think this is going to be a song similar to Wasting Love, Out of The Shadows. Then out of the blue Nicko does an unexpected drum fill and the songs kicks into a fantastic beat with Bruce still driving the song with his vocals. "We are soo far awayyyyy" Then the drop in tone, again totally unexpected - gives the song a fantastic sinister feel. Fantastic use of synths and a menacing vocal line! And then the chorus breaks in "As we look to see the man of sorrowsss! LOVE this chorus, very catchy! And then another incredible section the way they break out of the chorus again. That reminds me of the slow part of Sea of Madness. Great guitar effects, Steve does this finger walking style on the bass, Bruce's "Oooooohhh" fading in and out - and then a great solo section.

I don't know to me right now this is one of the highlights of the album. This, If Eternity, Tears of a Clown and Empire!

Back