the lyrics

[!--quoteo(post=128982:date=Feb 14 2006, 05:30 PM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 14 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]128982[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
There's someone who gives MoP a 0% rating (even though he claims it's better than St. Anger, which he gives 5%!), for no better reason than it's 'over-rated'.[/quote]

If you actually read that review, you would see that he gave MoP a 62% on a strictly musical level, but he said it influenced a load of bands that he believed turned metal into a joke, so that's why he gave it a 0%. It's a hilarious review though. ::

[!--quoteo(post=129064:date=Feb 16 2006, 12:23 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 16 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]129064[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you actually read that review, you would see that he gave MoP a 62% on a strictly musical level, but he said it influenced a load of bands that he believed turned metal into a joke, so that's why he gave it a 0%. It's a hilarious review though. ::
[/quote]

Woops, didn't read that bit. ::
Well, actually, I didn't read the review past the first two paragraphs. I kind of get turned off a review when the author is being blatantly biased towards or against an album. That's one of the problems with Metal-Archives-you always get the angsty little kids who decide a particular album wasn't good enough for them and mark it down incredibly low (i.e. >20%). And I really don't have time to read all the reviews. Some good writers in there, though.

So you want a complicated metal review eh? How about this review of Blut Aus Nord's The Work That Transforms God. It's a pretty freaky album in its own right and definitely an acquired taste, but see for yourself. ( Hey Mav, I wasn't lying when I said that there was great French black metal [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] )

Abstractions Of A Natural Kind (rewrite) - 91%
Written by Thamuz on August 23rd, 2004

A vast and silent darkness waits as the lone source of somethingness - life has not yet been realised, nor in fact has death. Into the inexplicable void came a faint howling, an unearthly humming, resonating from beyond the veil of darkness. Suddenly lattices upon lattices of ghastly matter encapsulated the emptiness of the void, filling it with a sullen, alienated sense of supreme beauty – an abstract far surpassing human cognition. This spawn of unknowable origin soon sprouted iridescence, giving birth to Life, yet still veiled its inner mysterious with complex irrationality. In such a way God was transformed into Nature and beyond, a part of all of us and none of us.

Whilst previously Blut Aus Nord with such works as “Ultima Thulee” took us through the reflections of the magnificence of an icy wonderland with neo-classical keyboard driven compositions, they try a much different avenue on this offering. “The Work That Transforms God” explores the alienation of Nature as an irrational being with all its feral meaninglessness. This task is undertaken by forging unearthly dissonance with industrial overtones to create a mechanical, inhumane and unforgiving soundscape that contemplates the supreme efficiency of Nature as an entity. The meticulous production invites us into an abstract world via the layers upon layers of otherworldly sounds – the deranged voices of ghouls bearing the messages of Life itself. It is not by accident that this sounds more akin to reality than anything does in modern society.

The instrumentation is largely minimalist and plods along at a pace that doesn’t go beyond a gallop, at oft times visiting droning tempos. This combined with the many layers of ghoulish background voices, and abyssal atmospheric presences that are virtually buried underneath the surface create a vortex of utter dislocation from the world. From this the song structures meander in and out of flowing “unmusical” dissonant passages, at times making use of more conventional melodic techniques to streamline into a different mood. The guitar sequences entwine together in the most subtle of ways - twisted in despondency, they howl like hellish winds. The vocals, low shrieks bathed in sufferance, act as another layer to the sound, blending in with subtle poise with the awkward style of the guitars. The result in a masterful song writing ploy that cannot be broken down into separate pieces, or even separate songs, but can only be viewed as a complete package – a journey of epic proportions.

The presence of a drum machine usually creates the feeling that the music isn’t natural, but it works perfectly here, fitting into the dark industrial laced theme with selective use of blast beats and a lot of slower beats that accentuate the mood. This artificiality is the perfect way of capturing the meticulously efficient alien being that is Nature. This concept is also conveyed with a few short atmospheric interludes that range from eerie wind tunnel effects to strange keyboard pieces. These barren wanderings take the listener to the void, after staring into such an abyss one cannot help but admire the imagination of this recording. We are here reminded that no matter how well we try to hide the darkness in our lives Death is always lurking with his ice cold touch.

The result of this sonic exploration is ambience in abundance. The industrial influences assimilated into the Black Metal palette create an atmosphere that is chilling, evil, yet beautiful at the same time. This is an artwork that is the celebration of esotericism, about self-exploration and transcending the social normality that prevents us from seeing beauty in Life and Nature. It is stunning artistic feats such as this that render claims that Black Metal is dead as outlandish. Blut Aus Nord, replete with imagination and a flowing spirit, are one of the leading members of a group that will see the next evolution of Black Metal as a worthy art form.

What do you make of that review? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

This isn't being very on-topic is it? :: *prepares for the infernal pagan flames of the moderators*

[!--quoteo(post=129182:date=Feb 17 2006, 11:23 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 17 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]129182[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
-The 62 for musical reasons is given in the first or second paragraph ::
-You're correct that a lot of the reviews are overcomplicated and this one in particular is scathing for barely any reason. Although it is well written, the reader gets the impression it is written by a jealous Megadeth fan or such ilk.
-The website is good for metal reviews, fanpower working at it's best [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]
[/quote]

I was saying two paragraphs as a substitute for saying 'a ridiculously small part of it'. In reality I probably read about....ummm....three sentences? :: . It was long ago, anyway, and I was skimming. That'll teach me to read before I type!

[!--quoteo(post=128645:date=Feb 8 2006, 09:03 PM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 8 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]128645[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Nah, I can tell what Mikael Stanne is singing, it's just Alexi Laiho's insane vocals I can't make out. Except for the words 'fuck' and 'death', for some reason [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]

That's most likely beause that are the only english words this little fucked up dwarf knows! I've met the band at the pre-listening party last year... and all I can say is that COB are the biggest bunch of immature retards that you'll find in the Metal scene. (I know it's off-topic, but that whole thread went off-topic ages ago [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /])

[!--quoteo(post=129225:date=Feb 18 2006, 03:01 PM:name=Maidenfreak)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maidenfreak @ Feb 18 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]129225[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
That's most likely beause that are the only english words this little fucked up dwarf knows! I've met the band at the pre-listening party last year... and all I can say is that COB are the biggest bunch of immature retards that you'll find in the Metal scene. (I know it's off-topic, but that whole thread went off-topic ages ago [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /])
[/quote]
An angry Maidenfreak! I bet you looked exactly like your avatar when you wrote this. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129223:date=Feb 18 2006, 01:46 PM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 18 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]129223[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I was saying two paragraphs as a substitute for saying 'a ridiculously small part of it'. In reality I probably read about....ummm....three sentences? :: . It was long ago, anyway, and I was skimming. That'll teach me to read before I type!
[/quote]

You should read some more of UltraBoris' reviews, they're bloody hilarious! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /] Especially his review of Dark Angel's Darkness Descends, which is a brilliant albums by the way. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129231:date=Feb 18 2006, 03:14 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 18 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]129231[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
An angry Maidenfreak! I bet you looked exactly like your avatar when you wrote this. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Yeah he is a bit harsh, but probably true at the same time. :: Most people who have fame forced upon them do turn out to be pricks, just look at the history of the music industry. Even Bruce Dickinson acts like a prick sometimes :: Alexi Laiho and the guys may act like assholes, but it doesn't take away from their musical talent [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

Edit: I like the new edit box [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129235:date=Feb 18 2006, 03:51 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 18 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]129235[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Alexi Laiho and the guys may act like assholes, but it doesn't take away from their musical talent [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]
[/quote]
We always expect crap bands to act like morons don't we? What with Slipknot showing off how "br000000tal" they are by inhlaing the stench of dead bird. But then again, Emperor are one of my favourite bands and their guitarist Samoth burned down a church and their old drummer Faust murdered someone. ::

Oh, and speaking of Ultraboris, check out his band Regurgitated Cow Fetus. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Back