THE IRON MAIDEN COVERENDUM: Angel Stage (FINAL!)

Very tough choice in the second pair. I really like Ihsahn's Wrathchild, and I prefer Wrathchid to Running Free, but Grave Digger's cover is, dunno, more aggressive? Having more oomph? GD it is.

The Hellsongs track is pleasant enough, but its only relationship to the original song is the lyrics and the chorus melody — everything else is a completely different song. While Anthrax’s cover isn’t thrilling, it’s competent and faithful. Sorry, @Lamia020281, but I’m going with @The_7th_one ’s nominee here. Winner: Anthrax

Not thrilled with either of the tracks in the second match-up, but ballsy English-as-a-second-language “Running Free” beats shitty extreme vocals with horns any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Sorry, Wight Phooler, but @Kalata ’s nominee takes this one. Winner: Grave Digger

Ihsahn's cover is really cool, but Grave Digger's singer sounds like a soda bottle about to fizz up and overflow. I can't decide. Grave Digger sound like they're having more fun, though, so they're getting my vote. I also like the way their singer growls "it's gonna be!" near the end.

Sorry, @Night Prowler!

tenor.gif

Wasn’t there something going on in here at one point...?

Too bad this didn’t come out before we started the game. Might be my champion.

The drummer certainly looks like he can play all this, but it sounds fake. So compressed, computerized sounds. All the life of the cymbals are squeezed out. And the toms... too synthetic. This could be programmed. An artistic choice but that does not mean I have to like it.

The cover is original but I am not that fond of some choices. A bit too radical. Don't like the calm parts, do not like the grunts in the chorus, find fast double bass with slow other instrumentation out of place and what is left of this song without the gallopping groove?

Still kudos for doing this. Something different at least.

Was this actually a socially distanced recording too, or just a socially distanced video?

The drummer certainly looks like he can play all this, but it sounds fake. So compressed, computerized sounds. All the life of the cymbals are squeezed out. And the toms... too synthetic. This could be programmed. An artistic choice but that does not mean I have to like it.

The cover is original but I am not that fond of some choices. A bit too radical. Don't like the calm parts, do not like the grunts in the chorus, find fast double bass with slow other instrumentation out of place and what is left of this song without the gallopping groove?

Still kudos for doing this. Something different at least.
Yeah, I definitely agree about the drum compression. I think it is live, but not sure why they did what they did to it...

Otherwise I like their choices! Something different, that's for sure.
Was this actually a socially distanced recording too, or just a socially distanced video?
No idea. My guess is just a video, although socially distanced recording might explain the subpar drum recording.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few 2020-21 music projects do feature subpar sound for exactly this reason.

Voted for Hellsongs in the first pair - I am a huge Anthrax fan and I would probably vote for it otherwise, but the Hellsongs cover is very endearing (and I'm partial to calmer music lately). A much more interesting way of covering the song in question, IMHO.

In the second pair... it equals out, as I genuinely don't like Running Free and like Grave Digger whereas I kinda like Wrathchild but dislike Ihsahn, but I like GD more than I like Wrathchild and I dislike Ihsahn more than I dislike Running Free and besides - won't get caught voting for the guy who associated himself with church burners and actual murderers without much reservations or remorse, so Grave Digger it is.

9246-96fa075d3f22182543a379c31da99e48.jpg

Eliminated:
Hellsongs - Run to the Hills
Ihsahn - Wrathchild

Promoted:
Anthrax - Remember Tomorrow
Grave Digger - Running Free

Since it's been a while since I last updated, I figured I'd go ahead and just post all four remaining matchups to make up for it. This will spell the end of the Gangland Stage - after this things will really start to get a bit tight!

Metallica - Remember Tomorrow
Nominated by @Kalata and @MrKnickerbocker .

--Vs.--

Eläkeläiset - Katkaistu humppa
Nominated by @Lamia020281 .

-----------------------------------

Iced Earth - The Number Of The Beast
Nominated by @Diesel 11 .

--Vs.--

Eleventh Hour - Alexander The Great
Nominated by Loudwire.

I think Metallica’s straighter cover works better than Eläkeläiset’s more humorous cover here. Sorry, @Lamia020281, but MrKalickertocker’s nominee takes this one. Winner: Metallica

This Iseditionist Earth cover is pretty solid and high quality, while the Eleventh Hour cover is obviously lower fidelity. Going with @Diesel 11 ’s choice here. Winner: Iseditionist Earth

The Ryan Adams cover is a very cool and different interpretation of a great song, while the Iron Savior cover is an uninspiring rendition of an uninspiring song. Easy call for MsLamerbacker010140.5’s nominee. Winner: Ryan Adams

Powerwolf over Fabio Lione, always. Sorry, @Night Prowler, but your test tube baby MrKnightBowler’s choice takes this one easily. Winner: Powerwolf

9265-96fa075d3f22182543a379c31da99e48.jpg

Eliminated:
Eläkeläiset - Katkaistu humppa
Eleventh Hour - Alexander the Great
Iron Savior - Running Free
Rhapsody of Fire - Flash of the Blade

Promoted:
Metallica - Remember Tomorrow
Iced Earth - The Number of the Beast
Ryan Adams - Wasted Years
Powerwolf - The Evil That Men Do

--- Ladies and gentlemen,