The greatest song sung by Ronnie James Dio

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
As the title suggests.

I will make a poll once we discuss it, but all I want here are nominations and seconds. Any song that gets a second will be allowed on the poll. You post lots, but try to only nominate one song per post, and one second. Give others a chance to get in before posting a huge list. Any song that Dio sung on, that was a studio album, is allowed. Rare covers and Sabbath stuff he sang but didn't record are out.

The following songs have been given a spot on the poll:

All The Fools Sailed Away
As Long As It's Not About Love
Catch The Rainbow
Children Of The Sea
Heaven & Hell
Holy Diver
Lord of the Last Day
Rainbow In The Dark
Stargazer
Tarot Woman
The Sign Of The Southern Cross
The Temple Of The King

The following songs have been nominated and not seconded:

Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Lonely Is The Word
Sunset Superman
Too Late

I start with a simple nomination: Heaven and Hell

For me, this is the single best Black Sabbath song of them all. Dio was always my favourite singer for Sabbath. He seemed to rejuvenate the spark that had faded with the end of the Ozzy years. It encompasses everything that makes the first metal band great. The music is incredible, the lyrics mystifying and striking. It could mean anything, but to me...it means so much.

Is this a greatest list (based on influence, popularity, impact and all that mumbo-jumbo) or a best list? I'll assume it's the latter.

Since Stargazer and Catch the Rainbow will undoubtedly earn a spot, I'll nominate As Long As It's Not About Love. That vocal is remarkable. The first two minutes are pure ecstasy. His phrasing is flawless and it makes my heart melt. He sounds like an angel, even despite his age. Bah, Magica is so underrated.

Oh, and I second Heaven & Hell.

Since Moonchild only mentioned Stargazer - and failed to actually nominate it - I nominate Stargazer.

Dio sang many great songs, but none compares to Stargazer. The only contest is for second place.

I won't mention any of the standards 'cos it'd be much obvious, but his interpretation on Wishing Well is something that's more than just an optimistic love song. It's touches the soul. Simple but wonderful lyrics.

The correct answer to the poll is Stargazer.  I will nominate as a possible first runner-up, All the Fools Sailed Away.  If permitted to make a second nomination, I nominate "I".

EDIT:  okay, so I didn't read the rules.  Sorry.  Consider this a second of "Stargazer" and a nom for "Fools".  Someone please nominate "I".  Good poll, by the way.

The poll will come later, and I second All The Fools Sailed Away.

My second nomination: Holy Diver. Yes, it's Dio's most well known song from his solo career, but it is also one of the best. Everyone knows that when you ride the tiger, you can see his stripes, but you know he's clean.

All songs already have their runner-ups, with some exceptions.

Tarot Woman and Catch The Rainbow, both nominations.

Because everything else has 2 votes...

You're welcome to nominate or second a song if you want to contribute to the thread.

Come on, Kiki, what did I just say about live albums!

The following songs have been given a spot on the poll:

All The Fools Sailed Away
Heaven & Hell
Stargazer

The following songs have been nominated and not seconded:

As Long As It's Not About Love
Catch The Rainbow
Holy Diver
Tarot Woman
Too Late

Nominate and second more, people can make 2nd posts if they want :D

I hafta second "Holy Diver" - one of my favorite songs by the master that was.

I'd like to nominate "Rainbow In The Dark".  It may be cliche, but was the very first Dio song I ever heard, and has always stuck with me!

I nominate the Sabbath track Lonely is the Word. Perfect closure for a near perfect album.

Also, could people please put the nominations in bold so folk with a short attention span like me do not have to read every word of every post to check if the track has been nominated or not? ;)

Egypt (The Chains Are On) is still one of my favourites. I know it won't stand a chance vs those other classics but I still like to mention it.

I love his performance on this one. Even if his lyrics don't always make much sense, he sings with great conviction, like he really believes in (t)his reality. Words like "whispers" and "lost horizon" are legendary in his vocal style.

The music: I love the slow driving beat, the small touch of keyboards, and especially the guitar melody at the end is one of my favourites of all heavy metal songs.

Albie said:
Also, could people please put the nominations in bold so folk with a short attention span like me do not have to read every word of every post to check if the track has been nominated or not? ;)

I'm modifying the first post for everyone to keep track of what's been done.
Also, for reference, if we get a huge amount of nods, I might just go the Survivor route.

I second Rainbow In The Dark (awesome catchy tune with lovely and(!) aggressive solo) and Catch The Rainbow (coooome the daaaawn!) and I nominate Sunset Superman (a brilliant epic with an original guitar solo which build-up sends shivers down my spine) and Lord of the Last Day (I find this doomy song the best track from Magica. Dio can deliver well on slow songs, and the track has an interesting midpiece -check that bass!-)

@The Cannon:
Catch the Rainbow was seconded (if that was allowed in my previous post ;) ). If I only could second one song, than it'll solely be Rainbow in the Dark, no prob..

Back