The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 58-63

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Into The Storm gets the nod from me over The Kinslayer, with which I am much more familiar but never liked too well (chanting opera staccato verses + talking sound FX are not for me).

The Year The Sun Died is way more my speed than Morbid Angel.

Destiny Falls To Ruin is nice and doomy, though I'll admit, I almost voted for Venom.

Turns out it's really easy to vote for Death when they're pitted against Drowning Pool.

I don't like Slayer, so I guess Stormbringer.

Und Pan spielt die Flöte (Desîhras Tagebuch - Kapitel II) is a sprawling, moody and aggressive metallic epic full of twists and turns. The other song is KISS.

BG's Into The Storm vs NW's The Kinslayer is a very tough matchup. Both songs are top! Vocals, melodies, riffs.

Purple's Stormbringer is such a gem. Every part is classic.

Kiss' Shout It Out Loud is a 70's hit. The verses with the two vocals are very underrated.

Sorry, not a lot of time for a honest listening... (Couldn't resist No World Order on the train)

Blind Guardian, though Kinslayer is awesome too.

Sanctuary - I don't remember liking the other song very much + Warrel Dane bias.

Solitude Aeturnus - I dug into some of their albums because of this nomination.

Death, I nominated it.

Deep Purple.

Nocte Obducta.

...I mean, here I'm actually kinda enjoying Burzum's Filosofem, but after a while, inexplicably, I find myself singing to myself

AUF DER HEIDE BLÜHT EIN KLEINES BLÜMELEIN [*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ]
UND DAS HEIẞT [*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ] EEEEEEERIKA!!! [*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ]
HEIẞ VON HUNDERTAUSEND KLEINEN BIENELEIN [*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ]
WIRD UMSCHWÄRMT[*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ] EEEEEEEERIKA!!! [*STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* ]
Because of this very innocent post of yours, you bastard, I can't get a certain German march out of my head for several days now.
And nights, unfortunately.
Not Erika, which I foolishly played to see what you meant, the one that YouTube suggested after that.
Not saying which one it is to protect the innocent but one of the worst earworms ever.

Nightwish has really ran into Blind Guardian's storm. Well, Sanctuary has made sure this is the year that Morbid Angel died (metaphorically). Destiny's fallen to ruin, but Venom has held their seven gates of hell. The bodies may have hit the floor, but it was just Death's overactive imagination. Deep Purple has also brought a storm. Lots of storms this time. And finally Nocte Obducta tells KISS to stop yelling out loud. Shush up, old folks. Have a tipple and go to bed.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 58-63

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 58​
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg Division​
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
vs.
Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -21
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 59​
The Clansman Division​
UFO - Prince Kajuku
vs.
Stratovarius - Father Time​
Radio EHS
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -27
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 60​
Different World Division​
Ozzy Osbourne - Secret Loser
vs.
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks​
@MindRuler
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -9
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 61​
En Vivo Division​
Bolt Thrower - Through the Eyes of Terror
vs.
Dan Swano - Add Reality​
@DJ James
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -11
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 62​
Phantom of the Opera Division​
Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane
vs.
Alter Bridge - Fortress​
Youtube 50
Nominators
1-0-0, 2 pts, +4
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 63​
Still Life Division​
Kreator - Endorama
vs.
Death - Scavenger of Human Sorrow​
@Perun
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -22
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Fuck yeah, I don’t have to feel bad about voting STP.

Being nice to Kid and voting Strat.

Ozzy.

Bolt Thrower.

Alter Bridge.

Death.

UFO's Prince Kajuku reminds me of 70's Priest.

Strato's Father Time is classic speed metal. Every part is just great. Golden stuff and years.

Secret Loser is one of the catchiest songs with Ozzy. Sublime 80's guitar work.

Alter Bridge's Fortress is a nice song (solos and riffs!) with its different parts and dynamics. The Diary Of Jane is nice too.

This was quite an easy round.

Even this being one of the two songs by STP that doesn't suck (and the only one that has some actual balls) isn't really enough for me to go against the boomer's choice here, the Perry-Whitford duo would get my support automatically against many better choices. You know I want what's on my mind, right?

Classic Strato, lol.

Sorry, MindRuler, I quite like that Ozzy track (especially for one without either Randy or Zakk), but Bonzo is Bonzo and Zeppelin are Zeppelin, I hope you understand.

I'm long past my pure-death period, which means I wish I could give it to Swanö here - but I still don't vibe with the bloke. I know he's doing what he can, but I just ... dunno, am tuned to an altogether different frequency. Therefore, voting for Bolt Thrower, because the song fucking slaps, in that "rips off your head and impales it on the guitars" or something.

With the next match, it took some time to realise which of the two bands I dislike less, which is still probably Creed 2.0. Less annoying, at the very least.

I'm still not sure what made Per nominate Endorama, of the entire Kreator discography, because I don't think this is the style that suits Petrozza & Co the most, but I'm still enjoying it more than late Schuldiner, both the annoying herky-jerky chaos of the track and his vocals. I know, I know, shitting on a legend, sorry.

I don't know most of these songs, so I don't think I'll get the time to listen to them all before the poll closes (new Unto Others record is eating up all my listening time).

But I'm very surprised to see Secret Loser, which is a fine song, beating When the Levee Breaks

Back