The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 46-51

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I like Ayreon very much and I downright love The Source, it's hands down their/his best album. However, the song is put against Breaking All Illusions. The ADTOE album is still a promise of the world that hasn't come, a misleading start of the Mangini era. It is in my top 5 DT albums quite easily, has been since it came out and I only wish they continued in this direction. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Back in the day when everybody seemed to talk about how this is the remake of Images and Words, with the song pitted against each other as the "inspiration - new version" (is this still a thing or have we let it far behind?)... well, even back then I was saying I like this version of the album better. At worst, the songs are either the same, quality-wise, or only slightly below (Metropolis -> Outcry), at best, they're about a million times better (Under a Glass Moon -> Lost Not Forgotten).
And yeah, Breaking All Illusions is much better than Learning to Live. Yeah, I stand behind that. Deal with it.

Dream Theater, easily.

-----

I don't find The Donnas losing this badly quite fair, but then again, in general I'm definitely more interested in the vintage hard rock sound than the pop punk one, so Bad Company it is.

-----

I've already written here relatively recently that Orion is a bit overlong and plodding and that I have a hard time maintaining my concentration in the second half, however against Testament? Hahaha, no.

Orion.

-----

The Body Count song was surprisingly a lot of fun, it had this almost OG thrash vibe. Rage Against the Machine were decidedly not fun, as usual (I just can't seem to vibe with these blokes), so Mr. Ice-T it is.

-----

That Lucifer's Friend song probably had potential (I'm liking both the timbre of the vocalist and the melodies in general), but no way I'm voting against Jimi Hendrix. Man, that vintage sound is really something, isn't it? Also, that groove.

-----

Some more DT on Ayreon violence, huh? Well, let me put it this way. DT's Home has this set of lyrics

Her ecstasy - means so much to me
Even decieving my own blood
Victoria watches and thoughtfully smiles
She's taking me to my home

Help - he's my brother, but I love her

which is so bloody clumsy I can't even. I mean, it's the second ten-minute track on the album and the first had

Headline: "Murder, young girl killed
Desperate shooting at Echo's Hill
Dreadful ending, killer died
Evidently suicide"

I mean, what the fuck, the latter is Trucci, but Home is Portnoy, shouldn't he do better?

And you know what? I don't care. Home is amazing. Was, is, will be. Again, I like Ayreon very much, but I just can't help myself and vote against the first dancing turtle, even if I wanted to.

Home.

The Ayreon song was good, although a little too smashed to fully enjoy the sea of Arjen's Avengers. I'm super impressed by "Breaking All Illusions"; it's good from beginning to end and has easily one of the best LaBrie performances I've heard to date, utilizing his softer register to add color to the canvas. Great song, voting for Dream Theater.

"Bad Company" is a classic. The Donnas are fun and probably gonna lose so what the hey.

Testament have had some decent songs in the game but "Trial by Fire" is not one of them, and against "Orion"? Easiest vote in the world for Metallica.

Ice-T really did not hold back on these lyrics, but I think the track meanders way too much. "Guerilla Radio" is more concise and has a better hook. RATM.

Lucifer's Friend was decent, the "Immigrant Song" similarities are weird, but "Purple Haze" is a goddamn classic. Hendrix.

Ayreon come back with an even better song, one that has a great build before it climaxes. I don't know if it's better than "Home" but I'm sure that DT will win this one regardless. "Home" is a pretty great song even though I'm not sold fully on the chorus. It certainly helps that "Forty Six & 2" is my favorite Tool song and it's really interesting to hear DT approach very nearly the same riff but do it differently AND add sitar to the mix as well. Definitely the two best DT tracks we've had in the game so far and I'm okay with both progressing.

Just a quick one this round
Ayreon
Bad Company (The Donna's nearly won because the chorus is The Final Frontier)
Metallica
Rage Against the Machine
Jimi
DT

Run! Arjen Anthony Lucassen! Run! He didn't run fast enough, and Dream Theater broke his illusion of a GMSC victory. Bad Company wins over The Donnas, I guess whatever "it" is, they took it off. A trial by fire cannot compare to an eternal sky hunter as Metallica has the first clean sheet in the tournament. Rage Against the Machine's guerillas have used their radio in the neighbourhood to rack up a heavy body count. Purple haze rides in the sky as Jimi Hendrix wins. And yeah, more pain for Arjen, unfortunately, as Dream Theater sends him home.

Part I, Round 51, Matches 301-306

Play In Round
Match 301
Piece of Mind Division​
Tool - Schism
vs.
Tool - Stinkfist​
Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Radio EHS 100​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 302
Piece of Mind Division​
Opeth - Bleak
vs.
Symphony X - Smoke and Mirrors​
@The Dissident
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 303
Piece of Mind Division​
Primal Fear - We Walk Without Fear
vs.
Edguy - England​
@Kalata
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 304
Coming Home Division​
Symphony X - Accolade II
vs.
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal​
@Confeos
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 305
Coming Home Division​
AC/DC - Bad Boy Boogie
vs.
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion​
@The Sentient
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 306
Coming Home Division​
Queensrÿche - Spreading the Disease
vs.
Iced Earth - Travel in Stygian​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Links

Ooof, I wish this was Bleak vs Accolade II and Smoke & Mirrors vs Black Rose Immortal, or even both of these bands vs themselves (like Tool is). My two favorite bands in a death match is not something I want to endure.

Nothing against Stinkfist as it’s a decent song on its own, but Schism blows it away in every way imaginable. Lateralus is the album that really sold me on Tool, because while I like the previous albums, nothing stood out to me much other than Forty-Six & 2 and Ænema. The bass line in Schism is iconic, and while I prefer several other songs from Lateralus to it, there’s no denying just how hard it grooves. I know the pieces fit!

Here is where the pain sets in. Symphony X has been the cream of the crop for me for over 20 years, and Opeth is right up there with their pre-Heritage catalog. Bleak is one of those songs that I loved when I first heard it, but over the years I can’t help but feel that it’s a tad overrated. The choruses and interlude are excellent, but the rest of the song just kind of meanders on. If I pit this against the other juggernauts on Blackwater Park (Leper Affinity, Drapery Falls, and the title track), it’s in fourth place easily. Meanwhile we have a Symphony X song that is arguably the third-strongest from Twilight in Olympus (behind the excellent Church of the Machine and the stunning Through the Looking Glass), with its neoclassical tinges and amazing vocals from our lord and savior, the venerable Sir Russell Allen. There’s a Dio-ness to the verses that cannot be ignored, then there’s the catchy-as-balls pre-chorus in 9/8 (because why the hell not?), the soaring chorus, and the classical interlude. The only qualm I have is that the solo section lasts for a full minute and is nothing but the same riff changing keys. This occurs in Through the Looking Glass, too, and I believe it’s because the band had to rush the album. Overall, Bleak is arguably a stronger-written song with many layers to unpeel, but Smoke and Mirrors is simply more fun.

This Primal Fear song is really good. I’m gonna have to give these guys a listen at some point. Edguy is Tobias Sammet, so – wait, I now understand why this is a bonus track. Hahahaha this is amazing. These lyrics are truly funny, and Tobias’s delivery is outstanding. Yet I still must go with Primal Fear here, as it is musically superior to me.

This is such a tragedy. I love both of these songs so much. This is like choosing a favorite child. People always say the original is the best, but I disagree regarding Accolade II. This song has it all: emotion, heavy, chunky, soaring vocals, sad piano, happy piano, sad guitar, blazing guitar… it’s perfect. The part with the original Accolade theme in the interlude is splendid. Black Rose Immortal is a top five Opeth song for me, as it takes me on a journey through a dark forest and over misty mountains and back down through another dark forest where I eventually succumb to injuries given to me by an unknown creature. I love the way the folky Nordic guitars come in after the intro, and there’s the part like halfway through with the Mortal Kombat bass line. Does it reach the highs of Symphony X’s epics? No. Does it have a few issues regarding transitions? Yeah. But I just love it so. I’m sorry to do this to you, my child, but I must pick Accolade II. It’s simply a better written song, and it has me longing for the battlefields of medieval Europe in only the way that Symphony X can.

This relative dud of a match is sandwiched in between some real heavyweights. AC/DC have a fun bluesy song here, and Aerosmith has a tune that’s never been a huge favorite of mine, but is still stronger.

This is honestly a pretty solid Queensryche song, and you know how I feel about Geoff Tate. Cool riff, cool drums, overall just a cool vibe. But up against an Iced Earth classic? No way. I’ll admit that I don’t care for the original version of Travel in Stygian because of the vocals, but Matt Barlow slays the Alive in Athens version. There’s so much chugging here that my wrist hurts just listening to it. Also it just sounds so… evil. Like the soundtrack to someone actually walking though the underworld. Iced Earth.

Ooof, I wish this was Bleak vs Accolade II and Smoke & Mirrors vs Black Rose Immortal, or even both of these bands vs themselves (like Tool is). My two favorite bands in a death match is not something I want to endure.
Or a couple of those songs against tool so we can get the Tool songs out of the way faster.

I am almost certainly going to vote against my nomination and go for Bleak, but will go for Accolade over BRI pretty easily (although I like that it’s here).

"Schism" has some cool rhythmic play, but the verses are pretty monotonous. The heavier pre-chorus(?) is better, though, and I like the gentler bridge. "Stinkfist" has an odd opening, but then it slips into a slithery groove with some nice contrast between the verse, pre-chorus, and chorus vocals. It has this nice cycle of constantly building and releasing tension, and the atmospheric interlude is cool, especially as it busts into that interesting harmonized riff that leads into the bridge. No real contest on which is the better song here. Winner: Tool - "Stinkfist"

"Bleak" has excellent music with horrifically bad extreme vocals, as expected. Surprisingly, most of the vocals through the middle section are clean, so you get a very good idea of what this song could have been without all the nonsense. Oh well. "Smoke And Mirrors" is pure Yngwie worship ("Vengeance", specifically) with both the leads and the rhythm playing in the intro, but it starts to forge more of its own path afterward. The vocal melodies are solid but not great, and I hate to break it to Mr. Allen, but "mirrors" has two syllables, not one. The interlude and solos are good-to-great. A very good song overall. I would have totally voted for Opeth here if it weren't for the Cookie-Monster-On-PCP absurdity, but sorry @The Dissident, the Muppet tax is enough to throw this one to @Mosh's nominee instead. Winner: Symphony X - "Smoke And Mirrors"

"We Walk Without Fear" goes through some clockwork child mobile stuff, then some synth-symphonic stuff before finally getting around to the riffage, which is quite good, as are the melodic leads. The atmospheric verse is nice, and the pre-chorus is pretty good, though I'm not really a fan of Ralf Scheepers' voice. The chorus is OK. The acoustic-into-distorted extended interlude is great, and the solo section is also very good, but I could do without the synth choir. This song could stand to have some fat trimmed, but it's still quite good overall. "England" starts with a pretty harsh focus on Tobias Sammet's frog-in-throat singing, but soon takes a hard left turn into absurdist Iron-Maiden-focused humor. I appreciate the gratuitous pandering to the GMSC audience, but sorry @Poto, I've got to go with @Kalata's actually serious contender here. Winner: Primal Fear - "We Walk Without Fear"

"Accolade II" has a nice clean opener, then some quality rhythmic play with strong melodies. The vocal lines are really good too, which isn't always the case with this band. The reprise of the piano and acoustic guitar intro that develops gradually into the solo section is all excellent, and the outro with the little acoustic guitar peekaboo is also cool. Great stuff. "Black Rose Immortal" has good music with horrifically bad extreme vocals, which frankly falls short of the bar I've come to expect from this band. While the song structure is complex, the music's a lot simpler and a lot more repetitive, though there are some nice melodic leads and occasionally cool riffs to be had. Jesus, this song is 20 minutes long? OK, the clean vocal with the volume swell stuff afterward was pretty cool, but by the 11 minute mark I'm checking the clock again because this is a fundamentally incoherent patchwork of a song. A lot of the passages are nice, but there's no through line here -- it's just a grab bag of spare musical parts with at least two fakeout endings. OK, that's finally over. Sorry, @Night Prowler, but this is a very easy call for @Confeos' nominee, even before considering the Muppet tax. Winner: Symphony X - "Accolade II"

"Bad Boy Boogie" has a very simple but generally appealing riff. The verse vocal melody is OK, but the chorus falls flat, and the repetitive riff starts to grate after a while. The solo's pretty good once it gets going, but I don't know what they were thinking with the endless stream of monotonous eighth notes toward the end. Yeah, that wasn't very good overall. "Sweet Emotion" has a lot more going for it out of the gate, with an iconic bass line and memorable riffs. The verse vocals work well as a rhythmic element, and the chorus is simple but strong. The change-up for the extended outro is also nice. Sorry, @The Sentient, but this is a slam dunk for the list nominee. Winner: Aerosmith - "Sweet Emotion"

"Spreading The Disease" has some cool stuff going on with the drums under the nice descending lead. The verses have punch and the piercing chorus makes a statement. Great solo. The breathy, percussive spoken word interlude is cool, and it builds back nicely into the chorus. Love that outro, too. Great song. "Travel In Stygian" has strong riffs, but terrible vocals and patchwork songwriting, as expected. The clean vocals sound a lot better than whatever the fuck the guy was doing before, but the chorus is still a hot mess. The solo starts off with promise, but then loses its way, and starts to sound video gamey when it gets fast the second time. The spoken word interlude sucks. Still three more minutes left? Fuck. Well, at least the piano outro was pretty good. I still completely fail to see the appeal of Iseditionist Earth -- maybe if I huff a bunch of bear spray it will all start to make sense. But for now, sorry @LooseCannon, but this is the easiest of calls for @KidInTheDark666's nominee. Winner: Queensrÿche - "Spreading The Disease"

Symphony X's Smoke And Mirrors is a good song with disjointed parts (like the pre-chorus), while the chorus is nice - but the instrumental section is classic neoclassical stuff. That wins it.

Edguy's England is a nice and fun tribute-type of song, but my nominee, Primal Fear's We Walk Without Fear is on another level. One of their best songs that sounds classic and has a bit of a Nightwish vibe. The trademark sound of the band with the great melodies and the melodic and memorable chorus. The calm verses work great (the acoustic break in the middle, too). And what to say about the instrumental section - pure joy! First, classic Maiden and Stratovarius melodies/riffs, then a fast heavy riff with a choir. The solos are brutally good. The main melodic riff is just too good. Imo this song can rival many classic songs by other bands. Brilliant song. No contest here.

Symphony X's Accolade II is more interesting for me. Great slow parts.
Aerosmith's song is not bad, but AC/DC riffs are just too good.
Iced Earth's song is interesting, but I prefer (a bit more) the old school sound of the Queensryche song.

Quick one this time, didn't really give a fair crack of the whip to most of it, as my heart sank when I saw the running times. Blame the first Tool borefest as I listened to all of that riff for 7 and a half mins, couldn't face listening to over an hour of stuff I'm mostly not interested in after that.

Not interested in this Tool stuff, but the second one is shorter and has more than one riff. 2nd one
Opeth real good until the vocal, Symphony X no edge, Opeth
Primal Fear -
skimmed a bit of the Edguy track, was already on edge with the title, but the line "England's got Steve Harris" must be the worst lyric on here, unless there's even worse lyrics in the sections I skipped over.
Opeth

Finally some decent stuff, Bad Boy Boogie
Queensryche,
by default, but also because Spreading the Disease is great

Though repetitive, Schism is a far better song than Stinkfist.

Bleak vs Smoke and Mirrors is really tough. Neither are my favorites by either band, but both are undeniable classics. Bleak certainly packs more of a dark, twisting gut punch and Steven Wilson’s vocals add a lot to what is surprisingly one of Opeth’s more accessible death metal tracks. Smoke and Mirrors is just pure fire and spirit all the way through. As I was listening to Bleak, I thought “oh this is definitely a better song”, but literally THE SECOND the track switched I knew in my heart that I must Live In Shadows and Fears.

We Walk Without Fear is phenomenal! Wow! What a surprise here. Melodic, powerful, emotional and epic: it’s a stone cold great slab of bombastic trad/power metal. The second England started I wanted to turn it off. And then…and then…the chorus hook hit. Look, this is funny stuff. But I hate everything else about this song. I will not be voting for it and I hope it wins the whole tournament.

Black Rose Immortal is a song that I have always liked, but always found to be quite overrated. If ever there was a case to be made for long song bias: this is it. The individual parts here are absolutely sublime, with killer riffs, moods, and dynamics throughout, but I don’t feel the song ever comes together as a whole consistent piece. Opeth has far, far greater (and more concise) songs. Compared to Accolade II, it is literal child’s play. Symphony X are showing up here with a masterpiece of progressive power metal that delivers in absolutely every aspect from songwriting to performance to emotion. It is a tour de force - a perfectly composed and executed mini-epic that features everything great about the band without ever venturing into ego-stroking sections or ridiculous transitions. There is a majesty, a grandeur, a sense of wonder that this track captures that I fail to find in most other metal songs (or music in general). I cannot overstate my love of Accolade II. It is easily a top 3 (probably top 2) Symphony X song for me.

Bad Boy Boogie is one of the most annoying AC/DC songs I’ve ever heard. That riff is incessant. Sweet Emotion is a masterclass in song production, anchored by a hypnotic bassline, a beautiful vocal harmony, and a killer chorus riff. Easy vote for Aerosmith.

Spreading the Disease is probably the best Queensryche song I’ve heard and certainly the least annoying Tate performance yet. Travel in Stygian, however, is a top tier Iced Earth classic that relentlessly pummels from start to finish. This is certainly the weakest version (Alive In Athens and Days of Purgatory are far better in the vocal department), but it still hits like a sledgehammer.

Back