The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 46-51

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I think of all the proto-glam bands, W.A.S.P. is probably the best. Used to be a user around here who was big into W.A.S.P. and I listened to them pretty deeply at the time. I wouldn't call them a favourite band, but I think there's more there to enjoy than in a band like Def Leppard and GNR, both of whom just don't do it for me.
Before the GMSC I couldn´t stand W.A.S.P. I guess I listened to the wrong albums. So it’s quite a surprise I voted for them a few times.

Same here, I'm still mostly negative about them but there are some gems here. The Great Misconceptions of Me is mindblowing!

If you like that check out the whole album as it's a "rock opera"/concept album, and there's a lot of recurring musical motifs from the rest of the album that reappear in The Great Misconceptions of Me (it's the climax of the album)

Manowar's journey of self-immolation continues, shedding off a metal daze by shedding the Blood of My Enemies. The night goat claims a victim as Melvins wins. You might be arriving in hell, but even the devil needs a doctor. Doctor Lemmy, apparently. Motörhead. The animal got sucked into a hole in the sky with a Black Sabbath win. That mean streak really rocked the nation as Y&T wins handily. And finally, it's Jimi Hendrix and his Experience of being all along the watchtower.

Part I, Round 48, Matches 283-288

Play In Round
Match 283
Rainmaker Division​
Alice in Chains - Rain When I Die
vs.
Uriah Heep - Gypsy​
@Diesel 11
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 284
Rainmaker Division​
Control Denied - Consumed
vs.
Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 285
Rainmaker Division​
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
vs.
Judas Priest - Between the Hammer and the Anvil​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 286
Bruce Dickinson Division​
Accept - Breaker
vs.
Judas Priest - Grinder​
@Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 287
Insomnium - Heart Like a Grave
vs.
In Flames - Pinball Map​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 288
Vanden Plas - Rainmaker
vs.
Dream Theater - The Test That Stumped Them All​
@MindRuler
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
Links

“Gypsy” is a great song but it’s not Heep’s best, whereas “Rain When I Die” is the best AIC song, a perfect blend of their Sabbath-influenced bluesy doom grunge with an infectious groove and a phenomenal chorus where Layne fully ascends. Listen to Jerry’s guitarwork during the chorus too, it’s such a perfect layer moving underneath Layne’s incredible vocals.

Now this is definitely better. I'll be shorter again (probably will be til I get completely better) but here goes:

Gypsy is a really cool track from an underrated album that actually made me interested in Uriah Heep in the first place. The riff is simplistic, but some of the best ones are. But yeah, pretty much any pick off Dirt would annihilate even better songs. Rain When I Die was my first favourite off the record, I admit that I've moved to other songs in the meantime, but still, the crushing riff and atmosphere, the desperation, the inherent catchiness underneath it all. Fucking sweet.

Alice in Chains.

-----

I've already said I liked Schuldiner most cca about Symbolic and that he kinda went downhill from then on - not being bad in any way, definitely not, but it just became... kinda soulless, too technical in a way. I don't know, it just doesn't sit well with me. Control Denied is probably more consistent overall than Perseverance, but please, leave the soulless, too technical things to Liquid Tension Experiment. You know, they're ridiculous, overcomplicated - I can actually see where many people wouldn't be able to stand them... but they're also fun. With Chuck, on Perseverance and Control, it feels like he's labouring and torturing himself and screwing together all these jagged behemoths, but with LTE, like them or not, it feels like they're enjoying themselves. Sometimes it's not such a bad idea to take it easy.

-----

I'm probably the only person on this forum who will vote for Ozzy's No More Tears, especially since I have a soft spot for the general Ozzy-Zakk collab and this album in particular. Between the Hammer and the Anvil is - sorry to Kid - genuinely my least favourite song off Painkiller, always has been. The soloing is good, but melodically, this song has the least to offer, especially in that competition, sorry.

-----

I'll go with Accept, because band bias + member nomination > list (if possible)

-----

I liked Insomnium more, very atmospheric.

-----

I know that Rainmaker probably stands on its own more - Test sounds somewhat weird outside the context of the entire Six Degrees suite - but sorry, that 13/8 beat, the insane Zappaesque vocals, the overal insanity, but with the insane punch that they were able to provide back then... it's seriously one of the catchiest thing DT've ever done. I mean it. It's bizarre and it's fucking irresistible.

STILL THEY KEEP ME BETWEEN THESE HOLLOW WALLS
HOPING TO FIND IN ME
THE ANSWERS TO THE TEST THAT STUMPED THEM ALL
*furious air drumming*

Gypsy is losing? That song along with Purple's In Rock are the best things that had happened in music by 1970.

Gypsy is losing? That song along with Purple's In Rock are the best things that had happened in music by 1970.

8a4me5.jpg

I agree with the first statement. As good as Alice in Chains is, I prefer the classic rock of Gypsy.
But not with the second one. What about: Cream, The Doors, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones,.....

To be completely honest, the first Chicago album (recorded still under the Chicago Transit Authority name) is itself better in every of its song than Gypsy ... and has an even better guitarist than In Rock.

(seriously, don't fucking underestimate Terry Kath)

Back