The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 67-72

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sole Survivor is however just the next level of awesomeness and the beginning of my favorite era of the band. Helloween shows this is exactly how you introduce a new drummer and a new frontman to a band. Come on, just listen to that intro!
This. Love the intro.
Wishmaster is one of the lesser Nightwish albums
I only like half of the album, but these songs are pretty strong. She Is My Sin, The Kinslayer, Come Cover Me, the title track, Bare Grace Misery (gem!) and Crownless.

I only like half of the album, but these songs are pretty strong. She Is My Sin, The Kinslayer, Come Cover Me, the title track, Bare Grace Misery (gem!) and Crownless.
I would add Deep Silent Complete, it might be my personal favorite on that record. But yes, it's inconsistent, as many Nightwish albums are.

I also didn't use to be the biggest Tarja fan, but ten years of Floor screeching like a banshee over every rendition of any of their classic songs definitely made me one. :ninja:

Nah, just taking the piss, it's true I fell out of love with Floor quite quickly, but that's beside the point - I admit that I may be biased, since I first became fan in the Wishmaster era in particular, but although I like a lot of their latter work, ever since they stopped doing power metal after Wishmaster and left any sort of Faërie behind after Century Child, they've never been quite the same for me.

And WM in particular - She Is My Sin, Kinslayer, Wanderlust, the title track, Crownless, Deep Silent Complete, Bare Grace Misery, FantasMic... I think Tuomas can't really write songs like these anymore, even if he tried.

Voting against my own nominee by voting for Hell Bent For Leather. Pivotal heavy song. Also voted for: Manilla Road, Crowbar, Death, Blind Guardian and Kinslayer. Neither of those Nightwish songs I liked but I got further into Kinslayer before I turned it off.

Spoiler: I will also vote for Evoken, but I refuse to be in any army led by someone who voted against Kinslayer, especially since it's now losing.
Well you missed the closing of the poll, but Evoken did win so there will be no hostilities between the Diesel Army and the Judas Army.

Happy some of you enjoyed this track, happy others tried it. Up against a tough opponent in Crowbar, too, but the funeral doom shall cling to life for another day. :cheers:

Yeah, crazy day.

Well you missed the closing of the poll, but Evoken did win so there will be no hostilities between the Diesel Army and the Judas Army.

Kinslayer lost, so there will definitely be hostilities, don't you worry about that.

Would have voted
Yngwie
Priest
Death
Evoken
Blind Guardian
Kinslayer

I really hate that you have to put all your votes together or nothing.
I usually don't have the time to listen to all the matches in one sitting, but you can't put the first half of your votes there in case you didn't manage to vote for the second half in time so that you'd have at least partial input. Well, whatever.

I really hate that you have to put all your votes together or nothing.
I usually don't have the time to listen to all the matches in one sitting, but you can't put the first half of your votes there in case you didn't manage to vote for the second half in time so that you'd have at least partial input. Well, whatever.
Just listen to 10 seconds and vote on instinct. Hell, I think LC would be happy if you vote just based off of song titles.

got me into Nightwish
Nothing short of a gun to my head might get me into Nightwish.
On second thought, not even a gun to my head would get me into Nightwish.
What's so special about this remarkably annoying mediocre crap?
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, it's a genuine question.

Nothing short of a gun to my head might get me into Nightwish.
On second thought, not even a gun to my head would get me into Nightwish.
What's so special about this remarkably annoying mediocre crap?
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, it's a genuine question.
I just like the way they blend metal with orchestral elements, and I think Tuomas is overall a pretty decent songwriter who knows how to assemble the story of a song. They're also great performers and a lot of these tracks feel cinematic in scope. A lot of the earlier lyrics are also super personal and I feel like it kind of touches the romantic in me, too. And every album feels different, so there's something there for me no matter what mood I'm in. If I were to recommend you an album, I'd suggest Oceanborn, because while Nightwish have never been the fieriest band with their guitars, this is the record where Emppu shines the most. Listen to the way the guitars, keys, and strings interact with each other in bombastic fashion. To me it's super cool.

At the end of the day, I think the biggest thing that draws me into Nightwish is the same thing that I love about modern day Maiden - scope. Sometimes if you can't get into the scope of something it just isn't for you. But it absolutely scratches the itches I need when I listen to music.

I'm not the biggest Tarja guy personally and I find both Oceanborn and Century Child a lot stronger. Wishmaster kinda gets forgotten in between those two, but I would still consider it a good album.
Oceanborn is strong, but I think Wishmaster contains the better highs. Century Child is better than both imo. Lots of classics here.
but although I like a lot of their latter work, ever since they stopped doing power metal after Wishmaster and left any sort of Faërie behind after Century Child, they've never been quite the same for me.
This.

Just listen to 10 seconds and vote on instinct. Hell, I think LC would be happy if you vote just based off of song titles.
This is correct.

Update today as soon as I replace my headset, which broke in my hands as I picked it up. Venerable friend that's carried me through over four years of nearly constantly listening to music.

Yngwie's on the run, alright, running down the Manilla Road away from the necropolis. Ozzy was a fool, just like you, to think he could beat Judas Priest's classic track here. Hail of Bullets might be able to bear the unbearable, but this time they gotta choke on it to Death. How can one see planets collide in the antithesis of light, as Evoken wins. There's no sole survivor as the storm of Blind Guardian rages. And in Nightwish kinslays its own song as I Want My Tears Back narrowly wins.

Part I, Round 26, Matches 151-156

Play In Round
Match 151
Heaven Can Wait Division​
Metal Church - Badlands
vs.
Warlord - Deliver Us From Evil (1983 Deliver Us EP Version)​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 152
Bolt Thrower - World Eater
vs.
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 153
Sanctuary - The Year the Sun Died
vs.
Slayer - Divine Intervention​
@Confeos
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
Links

Play In Round
Match 154
22 Acacia Avenue Division​
Amon Amarth - Embrace of the Endless Ocean
vs.
At the Gates - Cosmic Pessimism​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 155
Pentagram - Death Row
vs.
Solitude Aeturnus - Destiny Falls to Ruin​
@DJ James
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 156
Venom - The Seven Gates of Hell
vs.
Razor - Instant Death​
@Magnus
Nominators
Links

And all of a sudden there's a really interesting round full of great stuff and tough decisions.
Warlord, because member vs. list.
Morbid Angel: ditto, plus it's better.
Same for Sanctuary. I'm sure there will be more and better Slayer songs later.
Tough. Two songs I liked but "Cosmic Pessimism" seems to be closer to my general attitude, has some chess in the video, and has its title correctly provided by @LooseCannon , without an extra and unnecessary "of", unlike Amon Amarth's "Embrace the Endless Ocean". Sorry, @Night Prowler , it's @Night Prowler 's nominee that wins here.
Now this one is really, really difficult. Solitude Aeturnus' song, being later, is more sophisticated obviously. Pentagram's is fresher somehow though, and @DJ James just voted against his own nominee in the previous round, and maybe, just maybe, there would be no Solitude Aeturnus without Pentagram, so voting for the earlier one. But it's a shame that either of them must go.
Now this one is even worse. Great Razor song, kudos @DJ James . Against one of my favourite, probably most favourite, Venom song. Forget that I nominated it, I'd still vote for it anyway, but I do feel bad.
Damn, one day you have to vote for some bloody Nightwish, then you have to vote against several songs you really like.
#LifeIsSoUnfair

Edit: I might be wrong about the "of" in Amon Amarth's song. After some web surfing I have absolutely no idea which is correct.
#LifeIsSoUnfair

Last edited:
Edit: I might be wrong about the "of" in Amon Amarth's song. After some web surfing I have absolutely no idea which is correct.
Same lol

Both titles are grammatically correct, but the one with "of" makes more sense to me lyrically.

Back