The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 67-72

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy you think NP procrastinates? We've been waiting on Perun to finish the Cheesevivor for 12 years...
Hey, I don't procrastinate, I'm just distracted. I updated regularly when I didn't have a job. Also, only ever didn't finish one Survivor.

Did anyone submit Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper? Cause that’d be hilarious.
It’s a good album. Overlong maybe, but it doesn’t drag. Great tribute to a deceased band member.

You want a single-song record that drags? Dopesmoker is the most overrated stoner classic I’ve ever heard.

DEE-ROP. OUUUT. OF LEE-IFE. WITH BOOONNNGGG. IN HÄÄÄND.

Luckily it’s not in the game.

Lita Ford’s first couple albums are sneaky good, and Kiss Me Deadly just rules. Huge arena rock sound and that very sweet 80’s glam riffage.

“Rats in the Cellar” is good, but “God of Thunder” is better. Yeah it’s overwrought but it’s also just plain cool. The child voices add such a good atmosphere to the track. One of Kiss’s best songs.

“Kiss Me Deadly” is super fun, like a new wave track dressed up in metal clothing, and I love the peak at the end of the song with the guitar solo outro. I also think Rolling Stone is nuts for including it in their list and so damn high too. But Cinderella get my vote, this song is so fun, so catchy, and, dare I say it, heads and heels above Bruce’s “Gypsy Road”. Fight me.

“I Want” is such a wild track but it’s got a lot of interesting elements. A7X are still better though.

Okay, I’ll be the sole Deicide voter. Both of these tracks are fun, earlier death metal! Death’s is better but I will support the underdog, not that it changes anything.

“Just One Fix” is cool, doesn’t do much but it’s a solid industrial song. Pretty sure Rammstein nicked the riff on Sehnsucht. “Black Hole Sun” is a classic though, so it’s gonna hafta be Soundgarden for me.

I really do enjoy Swallow the Sun’s song. The vocalist isn’t my favorite but the second half of that track gets really good. That said, Obituary is getting absolutely savaged here and I’m kinda disappointed about it. This song is a classic early death metal track and man is it awesome. I think I prefer it overall, and I’m definitely giving them the vote because it’s losing by an insane amount.

Frankly I’m shocked that people are saying this is the worst round yet because the majority of these tracks are right up my alley, or songs that I’ve liked for a long time. Come on people! Pick your heads out of the sand and enjoy some tunes dammit. :p

I liked Rats in the Cellar, but God of Thunder is a monster track that sets up the future of metal in a lot of ways. The big sound manifests throughout heavy rock and metal. KISS.

I truly hated both songs in this matchup so I'll give it to Lita Ford I guess.

I Want is probably the worst song in this game, a true disasterpiece of music that should never have been released. Avenged Sevenfold generally stinks but it's at least music.

Gosh, I really love that Death track. Deicide was pretty good, actually. This is a close one!

Ministry is metal, this Soundgarden track is not.

Gotta go with the flow and do Swallow the Sun, Obituary isn't often my jam.

Rats? What are rats going to do to the mighty god of thunder? KISS wins. Lita Ford's deadly kiss sends Cinderella down the gypsy road. Hurricane on Saturn wants more than one vote (one vote too many, imo) as Avenged Sevenfold proves to be their nightmare. Deicide might have done some ritual suicide, but Death resurrected them into zombies. Ministry found their fix deep inside Soundgarden's black hole. Or possibly sun. And Obituary is chopped in half...er...quarters, by Swallow the Sun.

Part I, Round 25, Matches 145-150

Play In Round
Match 145
No Prayer For the Dying Division​
Yngwie Malmsteen - On the Run Again
vs.
Manilla Road - Necropolis​
@Jer
Nominators
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 146
Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather
vs.
Ozzy Osbourne - Fool Like You​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 147
Hail of Bullets - To Bear the Unbearable
vs.
Death - Choke on It​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 148
Doctor Doctor Division​
Crowbar - Planets Collide
vs.
Evoken - Antithesis of Light​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 149
Doctor Doctor Division​
Helloween - Sole Survivor
vs.
Blind Guardian - Into the Storm​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 150
Doctor Doctor Division​
Nightwish - I Want My Tears Back
vs.
Nightwish - The Kinslayer​
@The Dissident
Nominators
Links

Evoken - Antithesis of Light
Funeral doom time! I urge you all to listen to this song in darkness, whether that’s while driving late at night or at home with the blinds down. Turn it all the way up and let the “Antithesis of Light” fully envelope you. This is the soundtrack to nocturnal affairs, you just cannot get the same experience while listening to it in daylight. It’ll still be good, but it’s a truly… dare I say it… evocative experience in the dark.

Didn't like any of the two songs in the first match at all, Manilla Road somehow reminded me of some other music I like so I'm very grudgingly voting for them.
Like in the previous round, hate voting for a list against a fellow member but it's Hell Bent For Leather damn it.
I had never heard Hail of Bullets and it's really good, thanks NPLookingGoodBecauseOfPerun. I would have gladly voted for it against much of what was in the game so far but not Death.
Can't say nothing bad about the Crowbar song but Evoken's funeral doom is more my thing.
Master of the Rings vs. Lord of the Rings, eh. And LC will tell us it's a pure coincidence of course. Two songs from bands whose early stuff I liked, from later stuff I didn't like. Blind Guardian's is a bit better.
Listening to two Nightwish songs in a row was quite a challenge but each time I wanted to hit the stop button I thought of all the occasions when @Jer has stoically listened to my nominations in this and other games, so I just clenched my teeth and persevered. I found The Kinslayer a bit less maddening, plus it's shorter, and the title is cooler. Probably more relevant too, nowadays.

By the way - while I do understand people (myself included) missing rounds because of work, travels, lack of time etc., despite what @LooseCannon had asked us, I don't understand people not voting in particular matches within a round. Damn, Jer listens to stuff he knows he'll hate all the time, and he's not the only one. And you don't even have to do this, toss a coin if necessary but make the figures add to 100% ffs.

On second glance, this may be the the most STACKED matchups yet. PSA Into the Storm by Blind Guardian is best enjoyed with War of Wrath right before it. The whole symphonic power metal thing isn’t my bag, but Nightfall in Middle-Earth KILLS. Should tell you how good it is; even I can’t deny its power.

This must be the strongest round so far!
I liked all songs except To Bear The Unbearable.

Manilla Road and Evoken were the big surprises. Even Crowbar was very good!

Last edited:
Back