The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 37-42

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Running Wild - Conquistadors vs Sabaton - Rise of Evil was interesting. Conquistadors is a classic and I didn't know Rise of Evil, but it's the better song.

First match is a wildly non-metal live track vs. a very metal, not good song. I guess Rudra.

The DNA of Burn is fantastic and the vocals are great. I was bored halfway through Sonne.

Third match is terrible on both accounts. Extreme because they’re not Motley Crue.

Highway to Hell is one of AC/DC’s best. Mercyful Fate once again has great music and I can’t stop laughing at Mickey.

Slayer because they’re not Linkin Park.

Rise of Evil is one of Sabaton’s best (and only) epics. Running Wild has a cool song, but it doesn’t measure up for me.

"Kick Out The Jams" has pretty strong verses and an OK instrumental section, but the rest of the song falls apart a bit. Still pretty decent overall. "Avidya Nivrtti" has a nice melancholy eastern feel to its opening, and then it flushes its good will down the toilet by diving right into potbanging and Gollum nonsense. The urgent riffs in the middle are pretty cool, and the vocals veer toward the lower end of the shitometer at times, but the negatives still far outweigh the positives here. Sorry, @Perun, but I would much rather listen to the list nominee here. Winner: MC5 - "Kick Out The Jams"

"Burn" has a solid riff and groove, but the vocal lines aren't very memorable. The bridge is pretty good and the solo is strong, as is the organ break later on. Pretty good overall. "Sonne" teaches you to count in German, then you get some sinister spoken-word industrial verses before a surprisingly melodic chorus. The sampled female vocal in the background is interesting. Not bad. The vocal lines in the Rammstein track are a bit stronger, but sorry @Poto, I think there's a lot more going on musically in @Stardust's nominee, and that's enough to take this match. Winner: Deep Purple - "Burn"

"Live Wire" has a simple, cutting riff and OK but uneven vocals, though the pre-chorus is strong. The laid back bridge is a nice touch too, and the layered crescendo toward the end is also pretty cool. A bit rough around the edges, but the song has good bones. "Play With Me" does a cool take on Mozart's "Turkish March" at the beginning, but the verses of this song are absolute tripe, though the chorus is pretty decent. The childrens' singing is super annoying here. The neoclassical solo is fun, though. Yeah, that's a very mixed bag. Sorry, @Stardust, but I think the list nominee is the more enjoyable song here. Winner: Mötley Crüe - "Live Wire"

"Highway To Hell" is an all-timer, with an iconic riff and groove and an equally iconic performance from Bon Scott. The vocal lines are great, the bluesy solo is pleasantly understated, and the feely outro is a great capper. Excellent song. "A Dangerous Meeting" has nice guitar work and is structurally interesting, and King Diamond sounds better than usual on this one. This is actually a pretty great track, and it's obviously more complex musically; but sorry @srfc, your nominee walked into some pretty stiff competition here. Winner: AC/DC - "Highway To Hell"

"War Ensemble" has cool riffage, bad non-melodic vocals, and terrible solos. Yep, that sure sounds like Slayer to me. Sorry, but you can't build a good song on riffs alone. "Papercut" does the Linkin Park things, with high soft tones, thick crunchy guitars, soft rapping, and sometimes screamy melodic singing. Bennington actually does some borderline rapping here, which isn't as common. They also do the cool "merge the verse and chorus 2" thing at the end, which I can always appreciate when a song ties itself together in an unexpected way. Strong hooks, good stuff. An easy call for Linkin Park here. Winner: Linkin Park - "Papercut"

"Conquistadors" has an interesting harmonized bass intro before breaking into a decisive gallop. I'm not thrilled with the lyrics, the group vocals, or the rote delivery of the vocal lines, but the song definitely has good energy and a strong solo section. Pretty good overall. "Rise Of Evil" maintains a slow march for the most part, though it has some weird rhythmic hiccups in the pre-chorus and doesn't really justify its runtime. The hard stop around the 5 minute mark is also a bit weird, though I like the melodic solo that follows. Hmm...not thrilled with either choice here, but congratusorrylations @Wogmidget, I'm feeling the Running Wild track a little more at the moment. Winner: Running Wild - "Conquistadors"

MC5's had their jams kicked out from under them by Rudra. Ever see a Rammstein concert? They love to burn things. Deep Purple. Extreme wants you to play with their live wire. AC/DC had a dangerous meeting with Mercyful Fate on the highway to hell. Linkin Park brought a papercut to Slayer's war ensemble. Running Wild has conquered the rise of evil.

Please note we are now looping around for the third time. Some songs will have records start to show up. This indicates their previous performance in the GMSC group stage. Records are written like this:

1-0-0 (Win-Loss-Tie)
2 pts (2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss)
+4 (this is the differential of the total votes for/against)

Only the top 2 will get out of each 5-song group.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 1-6

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 1
The Number of the Beast Division​
Dio - All the Fools Sailed Away
vs.
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe​
@DJMayes
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100
@Stardust
1-0-0, 2 pts, +9
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +14​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 2
Blood Brothers Division​
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
vs.
Rainbow - Kill the King​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
@srfc, @Wogmidget
0-1-0, 0 pts, -9
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 3
Isle of Avalon Division​
Thin Lizzy - Cowboy Song
vs.
Metallica - Creeping Death​
Popoff 500
Nominators
@MrKnickerbocker, @Jer, @Black Bart, @Confeos
0-1-0, 0 pts, -17
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +20​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 4
Terry Wapram Division​
Angel Witch - Angel of Death
vs.
Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@MindRuler, @Black Bart
0-1-0, 0 pts, -12
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +12​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 5
Clive Burr Division​
Slayer - Mandatory Suicide
vs.
Death - Pull the Plug​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +2​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 6
Women in Uniform Division​
Rush - 2112
vs.
Motörhead - Overkill​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
@Mosh, @Spambot
0-1-0, 1 pts, +0
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +12​
Links

Since I've already commented on all the songs in more detail, I'll keep these brief going forward.

"All The Fools Sailed Away" vs. "Symptom Of The Universe": Not thrilled with either track, but the Dio song is better constructed and better performed. Sorry @Stardust, but @DJMayes's nominee takes this one. Winner: Dio - "All The Fools Sailed Away"

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" vs. "Kill The King": Another match-up where I'm not thrilled with either choice, but the Hendrix track is more of a jam than a song, and the Rainbow track is more successful. Congratulations srogmidgfec. Winner: Rainbow - "Kill The King"

"Cowboy Song" vs. "Creeping Death": I mean, come on. Also funny that this Lizzy track keeps getting paired up against my own Metallica nominations like it's being sent off to the slaughter. MrBlickjerBartfeoser's nominee takes this in a walk. Winner: Metallica - "Creeping Death"

"Angel Of Death" vs. "Children Of The Grave": Another underwhelming match. The Angel Witch song has better riffage, but the Sabbath song is better in most of the other categories. Congratulations, MackBooter. Winner: Black Sabbath - "Children Of The Grave"

"Mandatory Suicide" vs. "Pull The Plug": A better-than-average Slayer song vs. a typically-pretty-good-for-Death song? I feel like I ought to reward Slayer for exceeding expectations and staying more melodic on this one. Winner: Slayer - "Mandatory Suicide"

"2112" vs. "Overkill": As flawed and overblown as the Rush track is, it's still miles better than the derivative groovefest of the Motörhead track. Sorry, Poshbot, but I prefer the list nominee here. Winner: Rush - "2112"

Dio - All the Fools Sailed Away vs. Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
I remember Dio's from the first round, pretty decent, but Sympton is an all timer Symptom of the Universe

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) vs. Rainbow - Kill the King

Voodoo Child is brilliant, no doubt about it, but I'm not even being biased voting for my own nominee against it. Kill the King

Thin Lizzy - Cowboy Song vs. Metallica - Creeping Death

I'd vote for the live version from Live and Dangerous featuring the seque into the Boys are Back over Creeping Death but not the studio version Creeping Death

Angel Witch - Angel of Death vs. Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave

Angel of Death is ok, the main riff that is repeated too much isn't great and the bass line under it sounds iffy. Children of the Grave [for comment see Symptom above] Children of the Grave

Slayer - Mandatory Suicide vs. Death - Pull the Plug

Death is alright, but Mandatory Suicide is great Mandatory Suicide

Rush - 2112 vs. Motörhead - Overkill

Tough one , if it was only Overture + Syrinx then it would be an easy win, but the rest of 2112 isn't great, Overkill's false endings are great Overkill

Yeah, these are all very easy refreshers...

All The Fools Sailed Away by many, many miles.

Kill The King by even more miles.

Creeping Death by infinity miles.

Children of The Grave cause 'dat riff!

Don't really care much about Match 5, but I'll go Death cause I think they'll get clobbered by another shitty solo + talking interlude Slayer song.

2112 by exactly 2,112 kilometres.

BS's Universe is a cool song, but All The Fools Sailed Away contains one of Dio's most impactful performances imo (the chorus) and that alone takes my vote. A great and classic slow metal journey. Easy.
Kill The King, no contest. One of the many Rainbow classics and still one of the very best speed/power metal ever!!
Those harmonies, but Creeping Death is my favorite and best thrash metal song. It's just relentless and captivating. Easy again.
Children Of The Grave because of the riff. Pure early BS which I'm not the biggest fan of.
20-minutes long songs is too much. Rush is class.

First round where I could do all votes just off the top of my head.

Sabbath
Rainbow
Metallica
Sabbath
Death
Motörhead

Would've happily voted for the Dio and Lizzy songs, but the opposition is just too strong in these matches.

All the fools sailed away, whoever was left voted Black Sabbath. Jimi Hendrix was the king of rock guitar, but Rainbow killed the king. Metallica treated Thin Lizzy to a creeping death. No angel of death hung over the children of the grave in a second Black Sabbath victory. When you pull the plug, it's just mandatory suicide according to Slayer. Personally, I think 22 minutes of Rush is overkill.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 7-12

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 7
Running Free Division​
Helloween - Midnight Sun
vs.
Judas Priest - Electric Eye​
@Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +21​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 8
Ed Hunter Division​
Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain
vs.
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100
@____no5
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +5​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 9
Paul Todd Division​
Children of Bodom - Lake Bodom
vs.
KISS - Detroit Rock City​
@Confeos
Nominators
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100, VH1 40​
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 10
Powerslave Division​
Scorpions - The Zoo
vs.
Black Sabbath - Neon Knights​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Spambot
1-0-0, 2 pts, +14
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +3​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 11
Out of the Silent Planet Division​
W.A.S.P. - Chainsaw Charlie
vs.
Dio - Holy Diver​
Popoff 500
@srfc
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Radio EHS 100, Rate Your Music 100
@MrKnickerbocker, @LooseCannon, @Poto
0-1-0, 0 pts, -2
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +19​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 12
The Edge of Darkness Division​
Anthrax - I Am the Law
vs.
Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Radio EHS 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +10
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7​
Links

Helloween - Midnight Sun vs Judas Priest - Electric Eye --> With the first notes of Midnight Sun I though wow, I'll vote for that, but as the song progressed it became boring and same ol'. Electric Eye on the other hand stands the test of time brilliantly.
Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain vs Pantera - Cowboys From Hell --> Pantera by a long shot, not even close.
Children of Bodom - Lake Bodom vs KISS - Detroit Rock City --> Difficult choice.. OK, Kiss is the most familiar and classic, but really I like Lake Bodom better as a song.
Scorpions - The Zoo vs Black Sabbath - Neon Knights --> Zoo is great, but not a contest really, Neon Knights of course.
W.A.S.P. - Chainsaw Charlie vs Dio - Holy Diver --> Again a great losing song but how to compete against Holy Diver?
Anthrax - I Am the Law vs Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down -->You can't bring me down is better song per se, but I am the Law is such an historic and important song that I cannot vote against.

"Midnight Sun" vs. "Electric Eye": The Priest track is the bee's knees except for the chorus that fails to deliver on the promise of the outstanding pre-chorus, while the Helloween track is more uneven in general. Sorry, @Kalata, but the list nominee is the stronger contender here. Winner: Judas Priest - "Electric Eye"

"Man On The Silver Mountain" vs. "Cowboys From Hell": Neither track is particularly great, but the Pantera song really only has its riffs and solo going for it, while the Rainbow song is stronger all around. Sorry, @____no5, but the list nominee is better here. Winner: Rainbow - "Man On The Silver Mountain"

"Lake Bodom" vs. "Detroit Rock City": The Children Of Bodom track has a lot going for it musically, but those awful vocals drag it right down to the bottom of the lake, while the Kiss track is one of the very few songs by them that I genuinely enjoy. Sorry, @Confeos, but I prefer the list nominee in this match-up too. Winner: Kiss - "Detroit Rock City"

"The Zoo" vs. "Neon Knights": The Scorpions track has a classic groove and tons of atmosphere, while the Sabbath track is consistently underwhelming. Sorry, @Spambot, but once again I have to go with the list nominee. Winner: Scorpions - "The Zoo"

"Chainsaw Charlie" vs. "Holy Diver": Both of these songs are very good overall, but the Dio track has an unnecessarily long intro and the W.A.S.P. track has a lot more energy, so sorry MrPooterCocker, but I'm going with @srfc's pick here. Winner: W.A.S.P. - "Chainsaw Charlie"

"I Am The Law" vs. "You Can't Bring Me Down": The Anthrax track has OK riffs and not much else, while the Suicidal Tendencies track is pretty strong across the board. An easy call for Suicidal. Winner: Suicidal Tendencies - "You Can't Bring Me Down"

You can't bring me down is better song per se, but I am the Law is such an historic and important song that I cannot vote against.
:facepalm: Yes, let's vote on historical importance rather than the actual merit of the song. You do you, I guess...

Back