The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 55-60

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
“Electric Eye” (especially when preceded by “The Hellion”) is a killer Priest track and an awesome album opener.

“Cowboys from Hell” is an incredibly cool guitar song. I like “Silver Mountain” too but it’s more fun to sing than to listen to.

“Detroit Rock City” is awesome and one of my favorite Kiss songs. That said, I know CoB will get killed because of anti-harsh vocal bias and they’re an actual metal band so I’m giving them the vote.

“The Zoo” was a fave of mine as I was getting into harder rock/metal. Banger chorus.

“Chainsaw Charlie” is good, but it’s no “Holy Diver”.

BECAUSE IN MEGA-CITY I

AM

THE

LAWWWWWWWWWWWW

Electric Eye is a big Priest classic with great guitar work and memorable vocals, but I really like Midnight Sun's Maiden vibe. That's why I nominated it. Golden power metal. It's a tough call, but the instrumental section wins it just by a bit for me. Wild.
Man On The Silver Mountain. Easy. Rainbow's early work is essential.
Detroit Rock City. No contest for me. KISS at their best!
The Zoo is cool and iconic (that riff and chorus), but Neon Knights is one of my top favorite songs from BS. Love the verses. It can't touch it.
Chainsaw is pure gold from WASP, the decision is not that easy, but Holy Diver is timeless. It's so powerful. Dio's work from 1975 to 1988 is magic.

Ooooooh yeah, it’s Dio x3!

Also Priest, definitely Not Kiss, and a default vote for the pretty average I Am The Law because its competitor is decidedly below average.

Helloween, Children of Bodom and Anthrax in shameless cases of band bias.

Man on the Silver Mountain is one of the best songs ever and Holy Diver is much better than its opposition (I could do without the album cover, though). The Zoo isn't that much better than Neon Knights in particular, maybe they're about even, but the Scorpions deserve to be thrown a bone as the underdog here, even though I'd rather vote for Sabbath in general.

Helloween - Midnight Sun vs. Judas Priest - Electric Eye
Does The Hellion count too? Either way, not important for this tie. Midnight Sun was pretty good, bar the monotonous drums, but Electric Eye a lot better Electric Eye

Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain vs. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Cowboys is pretty good but not in the same league Man on the Silver Mountain

Children of Bodom - Lake Bodom vs. KISS - Detroit Rock City

Lake Bodom was alright, but the vocals were bad and the run that appeared a few times was lifted straight from Rising Force. Detroit Rock City is great, this edit is better than the album version, but I don't know if there is a version that is the album version minus the sound effects? Detroit Rock City

Scorpions - The Zoo vs. Black Sabbath - Neon Knights

The Zoo is great but not great enough Neon Knights

W.A.S.P. - Chainsaw Charlie vs. Dio - Holy Diver

Voting against my own nominee here, Chainsaw Charlie is great but beaten by the better track here. The only flaw on Holy Diver is that if you're going to have that wind shit at the start then you have to open the album with it! You can't have a minute or so of sound effects in between songs Holy Diver

Anthrax - I Am the Law vs. Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down

If you vote for I Am the Law then you are the level of crazy that wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating fruit loops on your front porch. And If I offended you... You Can't Bring Me Down

Judas Priest has their electric eye on the midnight sun. Surprisingly, the cowboys from hell found a Rainbow on their travels. KISS was able to ensure that their Detroit Rock City isn't next to Lake Bodom. You don't want to know what the Neon Knights get up to in a zoo. Black Sabbath. Dio is holy, and Chainsaw Charlie...isn't. Anthrax has sent the judges to issue sentence on Suicidal Tendencies.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 13-18

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 13
The Writing on the Wall Division​
Judas Priest - Tyrant
vs.
UFO - Love to Love​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500
@The Dissident, @srfc
0-1-0, 0 pts, -8
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -1​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 14
Mark Wilkinson Division​
Mötley Crüe - Kickstart My Heart
vs.
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell​
Popoff 500
@DJMayes
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@MrKnickerbocker, @Black Bart, @Wogmidget, @LooseCannon, @DJMayes, @Poto
1-0-0, 2 pts, +2
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +13​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 15
Live at Donington Division​
Iced Earth - Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
vs.
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger​
@KiDDo
Nominators
DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Perun
1-0-0, 2 pts, +8
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 16
Rime of the Ancient Mariner Division​
Gojira - Global Warming
vs.
Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh​
@Mosh
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -12
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +13​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 17
Fear of the Dark Division​
Angra - Nothing to Say
vs.
Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose​
@Black Bart
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100
@Diesel 11
1-0-0, 0 pts, +5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +11​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 18
Murders in the Rue Morgue Division​
Megadeth - The Conjuring
vs.
Mastodon - The Czar​
@The Dissident
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -13
Record
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0​
Links

I hope Darkthrone doesn’t get blown out here. Transilvanian Hunger (the track and the album) is a high point in Darkthrone’s discography. I don’t really resonate with a lot of black metal anymore, but the melancholic droning of Transilvanian Hunger is so mesmerizing. The perfect winter afternoon album!

I probably wouldn't go for the ballad-y song in most cases, and I like Tyrant (one of Priest's best 70's songs, even with those backing vocals...), but UFO's Love To Love guitar playing is so captivating! I think it's one of Steve's favorite songs. I can hear why.
Heaven And Hell, no contest. The groove of this song is just timeless!
Melancholy (Holy Martyr) is one of the best IE songs for me. That chorus. Easy.
Nothing To Say, quality power metal.

Priest, Sabbath, that Capitol rapscallion, Anthrax, Angra and Mastodon.

The only real dilemma was between Gojira and Anthrax and I've decided to go the "fun" route.

(I really love Soundgarden, but I love Angra about a hundred times more)

Looks like I’m going against the grain on a few of these.

Surprised the first match is a bit of a blowout so far. I struggled with the choice personally and almost went Love To Love as well, but it came down to Tyrant being a more well rounded song. Production isn’t heavy enough but being ahead of its time shouldn’t be a knock against it. Love To Love mostly exists for the great guitar work in the live version, but I’m more interested in the entirety of Tyrant. Love the harmonies in the bridge as well.

Insurrectionist Earth vs Darkthrone is another one that I came close to voting with the majority on as Melancholy is a great song that probably best represents the overdone ballad-y side of Iced Earth. But I mostly echo @DJ James sentiments and feel Transylvanian Hunger is a bit of a metal institution and one of BM’s best representations in this game. On the other hand there are better Iced Earth songs let alone songs from that genre.

Global Warming is so incredible, you know I’m serious when I’m voting against my namesake. Similar to the previous matchup; there are better Anthrax songs while Global Warming represents arguably the best Gojira and the technical death metal genre has to offer.

Soundgarden but I don’t feel that strongly one way or the other.

It’s a grower, but The Czar is one of Mastodon’s finest achievements. Really amazing atmosphere in the first section before going into an onslaught of great riffs.
Hope it pulls this one off against what I feel to be a pretty mediocre Megadeth track.

Gojira vs Anthrax was super difficult to choose, I went for Anthrax. Pity for Kickstart my Hear is my favourite Motley song but against Heaven and Hell what chances it got?

@LooseCannon YouTube link Megadeth - The Conjuring gives I'm the Law.

Wow, what a great round. Tyrant mostly because of familiarity bias. I love Kickstart My Heart but it's hard to beat Heaven and Hell. Repeat DJ James and Mosh about Transylvanian Hunger. I definitely wasn't particularly big on Global Warming but it really clicked today. Still, Caught in a Mosh is easily my favourite song of the bunch, it's the headbanging song for me. I regret what I said about Nothing to Say early on, this is great. Jesus Christ Pose is good too. The Conjuring is intense, but The Czar's grooviness takes it for me, truly one of Mastodon's best.

Tyrant has always felt lame to me and generally overrated. The vocals are rushed, weird, and incredibly uninteresting in the chorus. Love to Love has vastly superior instrumentals and better vocals (even if the verse melodies are pretty uninspired).

Heaven and Hell deserves to take a flawless victory here.

Melancholy is pretty boring after all these years, but still better than the buzzing nonsense of Hunger.

Gojira continue to serve up songs with the emotional weight of a stale cracker, while Caught in a Mosh is endlessly fun and features the riff that I instinctively start playing whenever I pick up a bass guitar.

Soundgarden will always get a win for me over Angra, despite the latter’s great instrumental work.

Both good songs in the final matchup, but The Conjuring hits harder for me than Czar.

"Tyrant" vs. "Love To Love": This one's actually pretty close. The vocal parts on the Priest track grab me more than on the UFO track, but there's some great epic guitar work on the UFO track that probably gives it a slight edge here. Congratulations, The Srissidenfc. Winner: UFO - "Love To Love"

"Kickstart My Heart" vs. "Heaven And Hell": Both of these songs are great, but the Sabbath track is more epic and has more interesting music. Congratusorrylations @DJMayes, but I have to go with DJMrBloopotockerwogmidgarter's nominee. Winner: Black Sabbath - "Heaven And Hell"

"Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" vs. "Transilvanian Hunger": Not really a fan of the Iseditionist Earth track, but it blows the Darkthrone track out of the water. Sorry, @Perun, but this is a very easy call for @KiDDo's nominee. Winner: Iseditionist Earth - "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)"

"Global Warming" vs. "Caught In A Mosh": In the battle of two of the "best" songs I've heard from bands I otherwise thoroughly dislike, the repetitiveness and eventual harsh vocals of the Gojira song wind up ceding the match to an uneven but reasonably decent Anthrax song. Sorry, @Mosh, but the list nominee is preferable here. Winner: Anthrax - "Caught In A Mosh"

"Nothing To Say" vs. "Jesus Christ Pose": The Angra track is generally very good, aside from some wimpy synths and vocal delivery, while the Soundgarden track has a good groove and strong verse vocals, but otherwise falls flat. Sorry, @Diesel 11, but this is an easy call for @Black Bart's nominee. Winner: Angra - "Nothing To Say"

"The Conjuring" vs. "The Czar": Both songs suffer from some repetition, but the Megadeth song is ultimately more interesting and has better vocals than the Mastodon song. Sorry, Judas_My_Confe_no5, but @The Dissident's nominee takes this one. Winner: Megadeth - "The Conjuring"

Back