The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 55-60

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Look, everyone has nominated what I say they've nominated at this point. It's a big stinking spreadsheet, sometimes I misread it, and you all just have to deal with me telling you what your preferences are at this point. Jer, you're nominating Candlemass, Kalata is nominating Slayer, MrKnickerbocker is nominating Emperor, Magnus is nominating Sabaton, deal with it!!!

I was glad that Mastodon were finally winning, now it's gone again, oh well. Although I must say I'm surprised - I have definitely expected a Maiden forum to like them much more, especially something off Crack the Skye. Oh well, what do you know.

I voted for Mastodon. Starting to really get into some of their stuff these days, as a result of the GMSC. There's still about 30 minutes, maybe there's a hero for you Judas.

I have definitely expected a Maiden forum to like them much more, especially something off Crack the Skye. Oh well, what do you know.
They’re ultimately stoner metal with at least one bad singer in the mix, so that’s already at odds with a significant fraction of the Maiden fanbase who prefer cleaner music with great vocals. Plus they apparently stink live, based on some member comments, and that seems to influence some folks’ opinions.

But hey, I thought Hushed And Grim was good enough to buy it, so there’s that.

But hey, I thought Hushed And Grim was good enough to buy it, so there’s that
I understand that it's a highly rated album, but holy hell, that thing was difficult to get through. I bought the CD when it was brand new and totally regret losing those 20 euros. Same with the Gojira album that came out that year.

I understand that it's a highly rated album, but holy hell, that thing was difficult to get through. I bought the CD when it was brand new and totally regret losing those 20 euros.
It definitely took a few spins for me to get into it. I think I’d heard a few tracks separately, and some of the grooves really stuck in my head, so I finally took the plunge and got the album, and I enjoyed it quite a bit after multiple listens. Still the weakest album I happened to buy that year, but it was very good overall.

It is certainly controversial, being "softer" and rather monotonous for a double album, however for me that's precisely its strength. I just love the idea of the grimness/despair/melancholy being studied in various ways, various shades of blue, over the course of a double album.
That puts me into the weird position where I hail it as my personal favourite, having it a league ahead of the already-beloved other albums by the band... and understanding completely that many people dislike it.

(Although, I'd love to have more Brent, myself)

IMG_5237.jpeg
riffology-the-conjuring.jpg

OBEY!!!

They’re ultimately stoner metal with at least one bad singer in the mix, so that’s already at odds with a significant fraction of the Maiden fanbase who prefer cleaner music with great vocals. Plus they apparently stink live, based on some member comments, and that seems to influence some folks’ opinions.
I’ve seen them 3 or 4 times and, as a non-fan, I would never say they stink. They perform their music well and 3/4’s of them are decent enough showmen. I just don’t really get their music.

And yeah, Brent’s vocals are bad.

They're also not stoner Metal.

They've gotten a lot better live over the years. They used to be a weak live act but the last couple times I've seen them they were fantastic. Extremely tight and vocals for the most part were close to how they sound on record.

Back