THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 78:
Judas Priest - Lochness
Enslaved - Hiindsiight

Symphony X - The Accolade
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons

Blind Guardian - The Ninth Wave (Nominated by @LooseCannon)
vs.
Rush - 2112 (Nominated by @The Dissident, @LooseCannon)

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno (Nominated by @Diesel 11)
vs.
Insomnium - Lay Of The Autumn (Nominated by @Night Prowler)

Funny...I think The Ninth Wave is one of Blind Guardian's weakest songs from one of their weakest albums. I need some time to think about this as I'm not a 2112 fan either.

This Blind Guardian track is pretty solid, with good atmosphere and some cool choral bits, though the chorus and some other parts sound artificial and video gamey. Not great, but not bad. The Rush song starts and finishes really strong, but meanders for a while in the middle, though I think it leaves a much stronger impression in the end. Congratusorrylations, @LooseCannon, but I have to go with The Doosicandent’s nominee here. Winner: Rush

The second match is rough, because it’s a battle of poor songwriting with a lot of strong individual parts vs. strong songwriting with shitty extreme vocals. I can’t fully get behind either of these — but Barlow’s vocals are bad enough in the half-sung and hammy parts of his track, and the musical elements of the Insomnium song are strong enough throughout, that I’m going to buck conventional wisdom and say sorry, @Diesel 11, but I’m going to go with @Night Prowler’s nominee here. Winner: Insomnium

1. Anything but Rush

2. Really didn't want to vote for the insurgent and it was rather close, but DI is such a cool track it eventually won...

(Although I'd really love if people started reading the whole of Comedy, not just the chunk long enough for the average American to manage)

I don't even like The Ninth Wave that much, but I just can't get into 2112 at all. And also, going against my own nomination with Dante's Inferno.

This Blind Guardian track is a bloated, overly theatrical patchwork that has a few nice sections, but fails to come together as a coherent song and fails to earn its runtime. The Ocean’s track works much better as a song, and despite a limited sonic palette and a little too much screaming near the end, it’s still a more satisfying listen. Sorry, @Black Wizard, but @Night Prowler’s nominee takes this one pretty easily. Winner: The Ocean

As expected, this Be’lakor song is really well written and has great music, but it’s smothered in a layer of terrible extreme vocals. The Opeth track also has great music, but isn’t quite as coherent as a song. It sounds great when the vocals are clean, but every time they go extreme I’m subjected to arguably the most grating extreme vocals in the entire business. If the vocals had all been clean I would have gone for the Opeth track here, but sorry, MrMosherSaaper, I have to go with the better songwriting and slightly less annoying extreme vocals of @Brigantium‘s choice this time. Winner: Be’lakor

Ah, what's all this then? There's no development of themes, they just keep repeating, as well as insufficient modulation, no counterpoint, the whole approach to composition is utterly lackadaisical.

And the horrid electric guitar and the ghastly drums, they're just so... loud and abrasive.

Giving angry hatevotes to random examples of this nonsensical noise.

Very tough round, two relatively overrated tracks by bands I love vs two great songs I've never heard before. I went with The Ocean and Opeth.

And Then There Was Silence is BG's worst song, there I said it. Don't @ me.

Be'lakor is solid but it ain't Opeth.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 80:
The Ocean - Jurassic | Cretaceous
Be'lakor - In Parting

Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence
Opeth - Ghost Of Perdition

Helloween - The King For A 1000 Years (Nominated by @Saapanael)
vs.
Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)

Dream Theater - In The Name Of God (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)
vs.
Tool - Lateralus (Nominated by @Collin)

We've completed another round of knockouts. Only 32 songs remain.

Not thrilled about either song in the first match. Both have a pretty even mix of stronger and weaker elements, and a fair amount of cringe. But, gun to my head? Sorry, @Saapanael, but I think @KidInTheDark666’s nominee is a little more enjoyable overall. Winner: Stratovarius

The second match features two much better songs, with an interesting and well executed Dream Theater epic vs. a more somber and groovy slow burner from Tool. Both are quite good for what they are, but the Tool track is a little more navel-gazing and less consistently memorable — so, sorry @Collin, but I have to go with @KidInTheDark666’s nominee yet again. Winner: Dream Theater

Stratovarius' song is just better, I feel like Helloween's song tried too hard to live up to Halloween/KOTSK songs. In the 2nd match - DT is the better band but In The Name Of God is just too long and repetitive in parts. Also the solo section is just totally unconnected to the rest of the song, too much wanking. Lateralus doesn't have those issues.

Alternate Savatage embed, since the posted one didn’t work for me:

Back