The Concert Thread

Last night I saw Epica perform their 999th show in London (999th overall, not just in London) with Myrkur and Oceans of Slumber as supports. I wasn't too keen on either support act but Epica were spectacular of course. I will put a review in the Epica thread.

I now have no concert lined up until 1st of June when I will see Iron Maiden not play 'Alexander the Great' in Stockholm, and then again in Copenhagen a few days later. Three days after I get back one of my all-time favourite bands, Thrice, whom I was a big fan of growing up as a teenager are playing a show in London. Frustratingly I won't be living around London by then but I think I might try to get to it anyway by spending the night at my desk working before going home in the morning. I'll be back in London a week later for Scorpions and Megadave too.

Current schedule:

01/06 Iron Maiden, Stockholm
05/06 Iron Maiden, Copenhagen
(09/06 Thrice, Electric Ballroom (London))
16/06 Scorpions/Megadave, Stone Free Festival (02 Arena, London)
(28-30/06 Tremonti)
04/08 Iron Maiden, Aberdeen
07/08 Iron Maiden, Birmingham
09-12/08 Judas Priest/Gojira/Nightwish/Kamelot/Devildriver etc., Bloodstock Festival
(22-29/09 Halestorm)
10/11 Within Temptation, Manchester Apollo
(08-11/12 Nightwish)

Six weeks until my next concert... :(

So I'm officially going to a 2-day rock festival in Wisconsin on May 12th and 13th.

admat_mar21.jpg

Unfortunately this means I won't be able to see Sons of Apollo when they come back to Chicago, but seeing Tool, Alice in Chains, A Perfect Circle, STP, etc. more than makes up for it! :rocker:

So I'm officially going to a 2-day rock festival in Wisconsin on May 12th and 13th.

admat_mar21.jpg

Unfortunately this means I won't be able to see Sons of Apollo when they come back to Chicago, but seeing Tool, Alice in Chains, A Perfect Circle, STP, etc. more than makes up for it! :rocker:
Tool and Alice In Chains in one night?!? Wow.

Back from Dark Tranquillity show.

For the money I've spent for the whole thing, I'm very satisfied. I got the ticket for my birthday and and at the last moment some guy posted on a local forum that he has 3 spots in his car left (since the show was in Novi Sad) so I didn't even have to buy bus or train tickets. So me and two more friends really lucked out with that, considering the alternative was waiting for the first bus home like 5 hours after the show.

Anyway. The show.

Performance/energy: 10/10
So in the last 3 years, half of the band changed. Anders Iwers joined on bass in 2015 (they played the last two years without a bass player). Guitar duo was also broken up. Martin Henriksson left permanently and Niklas Sundin stopped touring since his child was born. So for this tour they acquired Chris Amott (Armageddon, Arch Enemy) and Johan Reinholdz (Andromeda) and honestly... it was not noticeable at all that there were so many lineup changes.

Mikael Stanne is one of the best frontman I've ever seen. Apart from some faster parts, he pretty much sounds the same as he did 20 years ago. His growls are amazing and his clean vocals are mesmerizing. How someone can scream so much during a show but still do flawless clean vocals is really impressive. Kind of a shame that he doesn't use them more often. His interaction with the audience is awesome too, he sang one whole song while surrounded by people in the audience.

Sound: first half of the show 1/10, second half 5/10.
Double bass drowned out everything until the 10th song or so, later on it was better, but still kinda shit. Guitars only became prominent around that time too.

Setlist: 7.5/10
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dark-tranquillity/2018/skcns-fabrika-novi-sad-serbia-3ecd5e3.html

6 songs from the new album was too much. Encircled, Atoma and Forward Momentum are great, the other 3 not so much.

From other albums, I think Punish My Heaven was the biggest song missing, I feel it would've elevated the grade of the setlist to 9 if it was played as the last song. Oh well.

I have acquired tickets to see Primus and Mastodon in Seattle. I saw Mastodon a couple months ago and they put on a great show so I’m pretty excited. Not sure who Jjuu Jjuu is though.

I'm finally mostly recovered from an insane weekend. I saw a ton of bands, so I'll just go in order with a few brief thoughts on each.

From Ashes To New - Total Linkin Park clone. But they brought a ton of energy and were probably the biggest surprise for me, overall.

Black Stone Cherry - Nothing special. Weren't downright bad, but the least exciting band I saw all weekend.

Breaking Benjamin - Actually put on a very good show. I don't give a shit about their music, but they were still cool to see, played well, and were pretty damn fun.

A Perfect Circle - Fucking awesome. I was tempted to head over to the side stages to see some of Parkway Drive before coming back for APC, but instead I stayed at the main stage after Breaking Benjamin and would up with a great spot for APC, dead center, about 15 rows back from the barrier. It was completely worth it. They played a lot of their new album, which I'm really, really digging quite a bit. :cool:

Avenged Sevenfold - I moved way to the back for them, as I really had no desire to be up close for this band. :p The way the venue works, the pit area is a very large concrete floor, all standing, and behind that is a big grass hill were people can sit down if they choose, and many bring blankets and such. I actually fell asleep for about 15 minutes, before Avenged started, of course, as I was pretty exhausted from a long day of drinking and being out in the sun.

Before this show, I did like a few of A7X's songs, but wasn't a fan of them. Afterwards, that opinion hasn't changed. :p Musically they're alright, but the singer just doesn't do it for me. I do really like Bat Country though. And Hail To The King. We left right at the start of the last song to beat the crowds back to the campsites. The fireworks and stuff during A7X were still really cool though.

10 Years - They played very early the next day, but I was still able to catch the whole set, minus the first song. Maybe it was all the beer and the Rumple Minze talking, but they were pretty dope. Wasteland is a great song. I'd definitely be down to see them again.

Asking Aexandreia - I know absolutely nothing about this band, but they sounded alright. I don't think I can call myself a fan, but I will check out some of their stuff, and see if any of it sticks.

Anti-Flag - Very Fun. Not much else to say, I was pretty drunk at this point. :p

Stone Temple Pilots - I was lucky enough to see them back when they had Scott Weiland, so they really couldn't live up to that show, but all things considered, they were quite solid.

Alice In Chains - Killed it. They played mostly a greatest hits type set, but I was alright with that, as it was my first time seeing them. They did play their brand new song, though, and I thought it worked out really well live.

Tool - Unbelievable. I had a great spot up pretty close, and the energy of the crowd was incredible. I can now finally cross them off my bucket list, Although I absolutely would love to see them again in the future. the setlist.

The biggest downside: the crowd surfers were really out of control. I got kicked in the face during Tool. :censored: Like, I guess I can understand if you're a chick, or a very small dude, but if you're 6'2 220, then you have no fucking right to be crowd surfing. And once one starts, then it just becomes one after another after another after that.

All in all, great fucking weekend. :rocker:

1. Rolling Stones- June 2 Coventry (sold my soul for ticket)
2. Roger Waters - July Birmingham ( shitty seat)
3. Maiden - Brum August
4. Fish -sep lemington (rescheduled from December)

Still awaiting the arrival of stones & waters tickets.

I have acquired tickets to see Primus and Mastodon in Seattle. I saw Mastodon a couple months ago and they put on a great show so I’m pretty excited. Not sure who Jjuu Jjuu is though.
Saw the opening night of this tour. Mastodon were meh, but it's partly cause I wasn't crazy about the setlist
which is heavily based on the new album that hasn't clicked with me

Primus were awesome. I'm not really a Primus fan but they are much better live than on record. I was very impressed.
They also played their latest album in its entirety which I always have big respect for, especially with "legacy bands".

I'm finally mostly recovered from an insane weekend. I saw a ton of bands, so I'll just go in order with a few brief thoughts on each.

From Ashes To New - Total Linkin Park clone. But they brought a ton of energy and were probably the biggest surprise for me, overall.

Black Stone Cherry - Nothing special. Weren't downright bad, but the least exciting band I saw all weekend.

Breaking Benjamin - Actually put on a very good show. I don't give a shit about their music, but they were still cool to see, played well, and were pretty damn fun.

A Perfect Circle - Fucking awesome. I was tempted to head over to the side stages to see some of Parkway Drive before coming back for APC, but instead I stayed at the main stage after Breaking Benjamin and would up with a great spot for APC, dead center, about 15 rows back from the barrier. It was completely worth it. They played a lot of their new album, which I'm really, really digging quite a bit. :cool:

Avenged Sevenfold - I moved way to the back for them, as I really had no desire to be up close for this band. :p The way the venue works, the pit area is a very large concrete floor, all standing, and behind that is a big grass hill were people can sit down if they choose, and many bring blankets and such. I actually fell asleep for about 15 minutes, before Avenged started, of course, as I was pretty exhausted from a long day of drinking and being out in the sun.

Before this show, I did like a few of A7X's songs, but wasn't a fan of them. Afterwards, that opinion hasn't changed. :p Musically they're alright, but the singer just doesn't do it for me. I do really like Bat Country though. And Hail To The King. We left right at the start of the last song to beat the crowds back to the campsites. The fireworks and stuff during A7X were still really cool though.

10 Years - They played very early the next day, but I was still able to catch the whole set, minus the first song. Maybe it was all the beer and the Rumple Minze talking, but they were pretty dope. Wasteland is a great song. I'd definitely be down to see them again.

Asking Aexandreia - I know absolutely nothing about this band, but they sounded alright. I don't think I can call myself a fan, but I will check out some of their stuff, and see if any of it sticks.

Anti-Flag - Very Fun. Not much else to say, I was pretty drunk at this point. :p

Stone Temple Pilots - I was lucky enough to see them back when they had Scott Weiland, so they really couldn't live up to that show, but all things considered, they were quite solid.

Alice In Chains - Killed it. They played mostly a greatest hits type set, but I was alright with that, as it was my first time seeing them. They did play their brand new song, though, and I thought it worked out really well live.

Tool - Unbelievable. I had a great spot up pretty close, and the energy of the crowd was incredible. I can now finally cross them off my bucket list, Although I absolutely would love to see them again in the future. the setlist.

The biggest downside: the crowd surfers were really out of control. I got kicked in the face during Tool. :censored: Like, I guess I can understand if you're a chick, or a very small dude, but if you're 6'2 220, then you have no fucking right to be crowd surfing. And once one starts, then it just becomes one after another after another after that.

All in all, great fucking weekend. :rocker:
In my experience it's only big blokes who crowd surf...

Every time Trivium has played Houston the past few years, I either was working out of town or was too broke to go.

Show for July was just announced yesterday and the presale is on now...for only $26 a ticket (after fees)! Got my tix; finally going to see them!

Upcoming concerts:

Scorpions (Will try to buy it for a cheaper price in front of the arena otherwise I'm not going)
Sabaton/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Tremonti

Adding Saxon to that list. They are coming to some free Guitar festival in Zajecar. It's free so I'll go otherwise I wouldn't bother, they have the worst choruses in metal recently.

Back