The Concert Thread

So I went to Megadeth and the Scorpions last night, this will be my review of mostly Megadeth. Particularly the VIP packages.

My dad purchased the Meet & Greet and sidestage upgrade for my birthday earlier this year. I showed up around 3 and met someone from the bands management named Dave. He was a cool guy, not as cool as Kim from Maiden though. We went backstage into the VIP area and listened to Dystopia and stuff. Everyone but me got a free A Tout Le Monde beer (I'm underaged) Everyone seemed to like it. Wish I could have gotten a bottle though. Later the band came in and we got to quickly meet the band and take a photo. I think Dave Mustaine may have been sick. He didn't seem very into it. I got my photo taken then entered the venue. 15 minutes before the show began me and a couple other guys got to up on the stage and get our picture taken in front of the whole stadium, which was absolutely mesmerizing. The band came out and played a few songs and we were taken off the side stage. The setlist was pretty awesome. The Dystopia songs were amazing live. I''ll post the setlist below. After the show we were given some additional items which included a shirt, a signed tour poster, a button kit, and that nights setlist which was also signed.

The Scorpions were okay. I'm not that big of a fan of them. Their performance was hindered by drunk people in the crowd.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2017/spokane-arena-spokane-wa-be24da2.html

megadeth .jpg

This picture was taken by my friend where my seats were. I was up on the sidestage at that time. I circled my group. I'm the one in the middle wearing the yellowish shirt.

When they upload the pictures from the meet and greet I'll post them here.

@Ariana

The Alter Bridge concert last night was a really good spectacle. The Royal Albert Hall is a spectacular venue and having an orchestra sitting behind a Rock band looks really impressive. Towards the end of the set Myles Allen thanked the Royal Albert Hall for taking a chance on the "Rock clowns". It was a slightly odd experience for me though. I don't know Alter Bridge's discography in detail so wasn't too familiar with some of their songs. I mostly know their last two albums, so 'Cry of Achilles' and 'The Writing of the Wall' were the highlights of the first part of the show. I settled into the performance more after the interval with 'The Last Hero', 'Waters Rising' and an acoustic version of 'Wonderful Life'. One thing I felt the performance was missing, however, was the overpowering sound you get from a heavy band. I felt that Alter Bridge would have been a lot louder at one of their own shows. The reduced volume could have been a restriction imposed by the venue or a necessary compromise to avoid masking the orchestra. While the orchestra was an impressive spectacle I couldn't tell what it really added to a lot of the songs - I don't know if that's because I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the set or because the music doesn't really lend itself to orchestral arrangements. I will fully admit that my ear is really poor for this sort of thing though. Perhaps Alter Bridge's music isn't dramatic enough or something. There was definitely one song that worked exceptionally well with the orchestra: 'This Side of Fate' definitely benefited from the orchestra.

I don't mean to be overly critical of the show. I certainly did enjoy it and glad that I want. I just think I didn't quite get some it and I'm not sure if I'd go to a similar show again. I'll definitely go to see Alter Bridge at a regular show in the future though.

This was the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alter-bridge/2017/royal-albert-hall-london-england-3be3b098.html

My next concert is Metallica in three weeks.

Last edited:
Set 1 was just the band and Set 2 was with the orchestra?

Also, no Calm The Fire or The End Is Here, WTF.

They played The End Is Here.
Thanks, Wiz. Alter Bridge are usually quite loud in their own, it's a shame if the sound was muffled. I'm glad you still enjoyed the show, though.

Saw The Australian Pink Floyd recently. They are damn good, great visuals. It was an all seated affair and was quite like being in a loud, trippy cinema. I was often lost in the screen and didnt much focus on the guys on stage. Im more of a Floyd fan than before I went.
Next up is WASP doing The Crimson Idol in full. Venue is a 800ish capacity club. Same place British Lion played earlier in the year. First time seeing them and I am a large fan of said album. Its on a Wednesday night which sucks balls. And I hear Blackie is saved now and wont sing some of the more explicit lyrics. Im keen to hear what he does with Chainsaw Charlie, if this is the case.
That is closely followed by The Darkness in the same sweaty venue. Less than half the size of when they last played here. Sold out so fair play although 2 commrades who should be there have not got tickets, which is a big time craic reducer (we were students sharing a house together when Permission to Land was out and we played it to death).
I have yet to purchase an Opeth ticket but my recent discovery of and infatuation with them means they will be next after that. Again in the same venue. Not many venues in Belfast.

Just got tickets for Roger Waters in Birmingham for next July. Put me back about £300 for three tickets for mum, dad and myself. Student loans are for concert tickets right?

I'm debating going to G3 in February w/ Satriani and Petrucci, but the cheapest tickets are $60 for nosebleeds. No point in seeing a virtuoso show to sit in nosebleeds.

EDIT: Nevermind, general tickets just went on sale and I got second row balcony, center stage for $65 a piece. Not terrible and a great venue (Chicago Theatre). Why the hell do presale tickets suck so much nowadays?

Last edited:
22491470_10155536575906005_5239119970592500997_n.jpg

Weird Al is announcing dates tomorrow for a "no covers, all original, Storytellers-type" intimate tour of small venues. Personally, this sounds awesome. I love Weird Al and his stupid showiness, but I'd love to see him just be a musician.

Paradise lost is my next gig in a few weeks in London.

Love the new album and really looking forward to it. Only other tickets I’ve bought recently are for Steven Wilson but that’s not till March next year

I'd still really like to be at Damnation Festival at Leeds Uni on November 4 - Paradise Lost and Bloodbath are both playing. I don't think I can fit it in with other stuff, sadly.

So The Darkness were great, full of life.
Just before the last song they asked what we would like to hear. Me and my mate were up near the front at this stage and my mate shouts "Love Is Only a feeling!" Justin replies that they did it already, my mate goes "I fuckin missed it!" so they played a wee bit more of it just for him. Good lads.
Now readying myself to go see WASP on the Crimson Idol 25th Anniversary tour. A couple of hours ago the band pulled all press passes for Belfast and Dublin which screws my brother as he had one and the gig is now sold out. And the venues twitter says Wasps start time is subject to change. Blackie may have gone full Streisand.

Last night I saw Metallica at the O2 Arena. Before last night I'd seen them three times at festivals but I really wanted to see them at their own show so I took the hit to the wallet for this tour. It was cool to see them indoors at their own show and the setlist had a big surprise in 'Leper Messiah'. The island stage is kind of cool, kind of weird. On one hand, you get way closer to the band than you would with a normal stage, but it also means you can't see any of them at some points during the show. I guess those in the seats would've seen everything. I'm glad I went and now I think I've had my fix of Metallica and won't but much effort into seeing them again.

Next up is The Iron Maidens tomorrow evening.

Back