The Clansman

How good is The Clansman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Clansman

10 without a doubt. One of Blaze Maiden's best songs, and Blaze himself performs really well here. With the subject matter and lyrics, I could think of this on the Braveheart (one of my favourite movies) soundtrack if this wasn't actually made 3 years after it! The music is also extremely good and has an incredible instrumental section.

On this album, this song comes second in my ranking order, right after its predecessor.
I have been doubting for a while about the ranking. All the time I wanted to do 8, because there are some minor things I am not over the moon about. Not in the least the part "Noooooo, we can't let them take anymore.."
I dislike the singing and repetition here. It goes on, later in whoo hoo hoo form.

However, this song contains the best one and a half minute of the whole album. In this clip it starts @ 3:35 (cool snare break as well!). And another fine instrumental interlude comes at 6:58 - 7:23.

Not unimportant: Janick's solo is the best one of the whole album. Very melodic, and a nice build-up, ending his phrases with some edgy notes.

This is easily the best song off Virtual XI, and at times it's in my top 10 Maiden songs It sticks to a "safe" formula which I pointed out for Lightning Strikes Twice, and maybe it is (along with Fear of the Dark) the prime example from the 90s:

Intro, with at least two different riffs/melodies
Calm verse
Heavy verse
Chorus
Heavy verse
Chorus
Instrumental part, with singalong lines (feeeeeeear of the daaaaaark, or nooooo, we can't let them taaaaake any more)
Verse again
Chorus
Outro

This formula has given some songs that work tremendously well live, and this one is no exception. I really, really hope I get to see it live once.

There are plenty of great guitar melodies here, and the lyrics are original for Maiden. Who would have thought that an English band would write lyrics about Scottish independence? There is nothing I dislike about this song.

Straight 10.

10. Best song from VXI, no doubt. Gotta love the lyrics.

10. Not my favorite but a very good song. It really comes to life live and is one of Janick's finest moments. I actually prefer his solo to Dave's.

8 out of 10... It pains me to give only an 8 for this tune, because the RIR live version with Bruce would probably get a 10. The greatness of the song itself overcomes the weak Blaze vocal though, with a killer solo by Janick being a particular high point for me. With Bruce behind the mic, this song can be counted among their best...

10. One of Maiden's best! First time I heard the intro melody, by Jan, then the synth and the other melody I just froze, as if I was transported to another world. The melodies, the solo, the lyrics are all fanfuckingtastic!!! That melody after the 'oh, oh, oh, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh' is haunting, my arms hairs raise instantly. Classic!!! :edmetal:

This song will always have a special place for me. It was what got me back into Maiden after five or six years of not caring. I picked up the CD in ’99 at a used music store, got to song four and was mesmerized. The sweeping intro, the slow build, the anthemic chorus, the amazing melodic solos, the passionate vocals, the power of the lyrics, the kickass rhythms — everything that makes Maiden great is here. The definition of epic and one of the band’s all-time great tracks. Ten

Easily 10 out 10. Both the studio and the RiR version.

FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!! :yey:

8. Used to be my favourite track off this album, but nowadays it drags a little bit. I actually prefer the RiR version.

9/10 from me and the highlight of the album for sure.  Love the melodies and Blaze sounds great.  I wish they would have played around more with backing vocals with him as they cam across quite strong.  Especially in this song.

The somewhat out of sync bass intro on the studio version though is annoying.

Zare said:
Used to be my favourite track off this album, but nowadays it drags a little bit. I actually prefer the RiR version.
Same. But I can't give it more than 7/10. It's just not memorable enough. It has the same problems like most of the songs on VXI - repetition.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
A festival of harmonic riffs.

Do you mean the instrumental stuff? These are not harmonic. Janick and Dave play the same. Nonetheless, these are awesome moments and had a decisive role in my ranking.

Back