The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This one is a a major sigh of relief, after three (relatively) lesser songs. Together with Speed of Light we probably just had the four least good songs on the album. Still, this could change of course, although first impressions can stick pretty long with me.

Back to the title track which starts (and ends if I remember well) with a nice acoustic part. A very strong song! If people like Montségur, they got another thing coming. Or three things! I remember three songs with that heavy part, with riffing and drumming a la Montségur. This is the first. It doesn't spoil the song that much but it's recognizable.

Shame on me but I forgot a lot about it, but it left a very strong, and very welcome impression, closing disc 1 majestically.

edit:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads...ral-album-discussion.32230/page-2#post-536102

Last edited:
God. You just can't stop, don't you. You know that we will wait week to hear that? I don't know how to call you - my personal hero or someone I wish to kick in the ass. :)

JK - thanks for that info. :)

This one is dominated by Janick's melodies. Just like I'd call Red & Black the new signature epic for Steve, this is the new signature epic for Janick. Great conclusion for disc one.

The song was what I expected it to be, a new Janick epic, and boy it sure was! That riff is pure evil!!! 10/10 [\spoiler]

Wow... Classic Gers acoustic intro, then... Mother Russia ---> Dream of Mirrors ----> something of X factor ----> instrumental part almost like f'kin Losfer Words -----> ...!?

Big, Big song!!

It's just so powerful and badass and just.....:edmetal:

Although, I think that the chorus is too long, it feels a bit like the song pauses for a while. I caught myself waiting for THE RIFF to appear again on second listen already. Sounds like Steve's chorus (Janick said in that interview that he "added choruses" here and there), it's got different feel than the rest of the song. I'm sure it was necessary in terms of lyrics/storytelling, but slows the song down a bit. Lucky it has momentum in heaps :applause:

I really love this song. Might be my favorite off of Disc 1, I'm not sure. It's a tough call between this jewel and If Eternity Should Fail for me. Janick did an outstanding job on this album with both this and Shadows of the Valley!

I've had a couple more listens now and this song is really standing out from the crowd to me.

Of course, things are still so new that it changes every listen...

Another really great song, probably one of the best on the album, but its incredibly busy and its doubly hard to form a solid opinion of it after only 4 or 5 listens.

I will be really interested to see the complete lyrics on this one though, I think that will enhance my enjoyment of it further, the vocal melodies are great but in the particularly soaring sections it can be hard to decipher the exact words.

Instrumentally it is fantastic and varied throughout though.

Back