"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to be honest - it depend on what you're expecting. For me this album is, hand to god, everything that I always wanted to hear on metal album.

For me the best songs in order
1.Book of souls ( in very high level)
2.If eternity should fail
3.The red and black
4.Great unknown
5.Death or Glory
6.Tears of the clown
7.Empire of clouds
8.Speed of light
9.When the river runs deep
10.The man of sorrows
11.Shadows of the valley or wasted years + Fallen angel.

Even more so, being german i found EMP always quite expensive... last time i ordered there i was 15-16 because i didn't know better

Aww, yeah. Did you also use to get those phone calls saying, "hey, I'm ordering something from EMP, do you want to join in?" :D

Aww, yeah. Did you also use to get those phone calls saying, "hey, I'm ordering something from EMP, do you want to join in?" :D

Not exactly phonecalls, i always got the Magazine for free back then and had friends over and we used to do mass orderings to save shipping :D

Yeah, exactly. It was like Christmas when those packages arrived.

Yeah, exactly. It was like Christmas when those packages arrived.
And then came the Internet

b28a3a52ee99399a5389e758f7de87b6.gif

All Maiden albums left quite a clear mark on me. TXF I thought was bad in all areas. BNW was a missed apportunity. The albums that followed were better and better but still quite far from being really good. Then we got to TFF. I thought that it was the first album after a long time wgere they paid attention to what they did. Of course the disorient production was always there.
And after all these years we get to The book of Souls. The unnecessarily long intros are gone.Riffs that would sit comfortably in their 80s back catalogue are back. Speed is back as well.The solos are out of this world.

But all in all this album feels to me as being remarkably good and remarkably bad at the same time. I can understand both people raving about it and people being put off by its' characteristics.

It is the first time that all songs have a part I love and a part I detest. All songs in here can get a 9 or 10 for some parts and a 5 for some others.

I never thought I would see Bruce write malodies and structures as he was Steve or Janick. What the Hell is Shirley doing in the studio is beyond me. Why wasn't there a person to trll them that a perfect melody is ruined once repeated 100 times.

I think the raving reviews did more bad than they did good. I was expecting a mediocre album, the reviews talked about the album of the century so I found myself being really disappointed that this is just a good album......with the repetition taken off the choruses and intros but finding its way in completely redundant parts. So it is the first album I love and hate at the same time. And please don't give me any of the - you are dogmatic - crap. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I have this albums songs rated in 4 tiers. Tier A, B, C, D. EOTC is alone in Tier C, I don't know if it's great, good or bad so it gets it's own tier.

#2 & 3 are interchangeable in tier A. So are 4-6 in tier B & 9-11 can be swapped in any order.

1. The Book of Souls
2. If Eternity Should Fail
3. The Red & the Black
4. The Great Unknown
5. Death or Glory
6. Speed of Light
7. Shadows of the Valley
8.Empire of the Clouds
9. When the River Runs Deep
10. Tears of a Clwon
11. Man of Sorrows

Album just keeps growing on me. People will call me "hyped", but no, the reality is...

That this album is DEFINITELY top 3, PROBABLY top 2, and MAYBE EVEN #1

That's how great I think this album is.

Yes, yes, yes! Is this mad?? Never in my life did I think something in this day of age would be able to match something like powerslave, sit or ssoass. This beast is definitely there, and I am actually starting to think it will top them all. That's an equation even Stephen hawking would have trouble comprehend. Since Friday, this is the only thing I can think about. It has taken over me completely. What year is it???

I almost caved in today, started listening to the IESF leak, stopped myself after five seconds. I don't want the first listen to be a 192kbps mp3 file. Can I survive now until Friday?

So excited!
Haha. I did that same...but got to where the guitars came in and went..."no no no..stop stop stop it....hold....HOLD" (Mel gibson voice)

Don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet but Q Magazine gave TBOS 3 out of 5 and called in "not one of their best" in contrast they gave TNOTB 2 out of 5, i dont mind bad reviews but they should at least keep it consistent

Don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet but Q Magazine gave TBOS 3 out of 5 and called in "not one of their best" in contrast they gave TNOTB 2 out of 5, i dont mind bad reviews but they should at least keep it consistent
Wait, what?

So including shipping costs from germany its cheaper than north of the Border? Thats crazy lol

Even more so, being german i found EMP always quite expensive... last time i ordered there i was 15-16 because i didn't know better

Well, yes, it's cheaper... I ordered The Book Of Souls on vinyl and Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings also on vinyl... At Amazon Book of Souls is 32 dollars and Burnt Offerings is 43... But at EMP I bought them for 26 and 17 euro as it shows in the picture. Shipping to México at Amazon is 18 dollars but at EMP it was only 8 euros... So for me it was the best option....

emp.jpg

I simply cannot stop listening to this album over and over. I don't think since S.I.T. have I been struck by music in this way. I was weak but for those of you who are waiting until Friday, prepare to be blown away. That is not hyperbole it's THAT good. Now easily second on my list all time

Yes, yes, yes! Is this mad?? Never in my life did I think something in this day of age would be able to match something like powerslave, sit or ssoass. This beast is definitely there, and I am actually starting to think it will top them all. That's an equation even Stephen hawking would have trouble comprehend. Since Friday, this is the only thing I can think about. It has taken over me completely. What year is it???
I agree completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back