"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I haven't done that? I haven't accused anyone who likes the album for being blind, overhyped, a troll or all those things at the same time. And I don't believe that to be true. But in all this "OMG best-album-ever" that I expected to be part of without doubts, I found an album that to me is extremely disappointing (to put it mildly).
I'm really sorry that the album doesn't work for you. Maybe it will change, but it doesn't seem like you're open to that possibility.

Perhaps you missed that I loved the well executed "live" feel of A Matter of Life and Death and to a great extent also The Final Frontier. So I would be lying if I said I wanted them to do a clean production. This is just poorly done, and even worse it's poorly played.

I don't think they are poorly played at all. It's just a different album from them. It has little quirks and some rawness and its loose here and there. I actually think it's cool Maiden does this at the end(?) of their career.

its very easy, no matter if Maiden does the best album in the story of music, always is going to be somebody that doesn't like it.
If they make something different "oh no!, they don't sound like maiden, i want classic stuff"
If they do classic stuff "oh no! they are old, they can't play anymore, i want new stuff"

It's Funny that we've had 20 years of people complaining that '00s IM don't sound like '80s IM, and now we have people complaining '15 IM doesn't sound like '00s IM.
This only adds to my theory that this is a new Era of Iron Maiden

At some point you couple of malcontents should bug off. Ok you don't like the album. And your opinion is noted. But now it's just you picking spots to insult the band. On a sight made up of their fans.
Really getting annoying now. Get it all out and bounce. What REAL fan forms such negative opinion of a band they "love" album so quickly?
I know the mods will protect you when a member requests silence of another. But this is a maiden fan sight.... FAN sight. You are trolling now whether you'll admit it or not.

At some point you couple of malcontents should bug off. Ok you don't like the album. And your opinion is noted. But now it's just you picking spots to insult the band. On a sight made up of their fans.
Really getting annoying now. Get it all out and bounce. What REAL fan forms such negative opinion of a band they "love" album so quickly?
I know the mods will protect you when a member requests silence of another. But this is a maiden fan sight.... FAN sight. You are trolling now whether you'll admit it or not.
Even none IM music forums are Praising this album so when a IM "fan" criticizes it to such an extreme it makes me wonder, of course they are allowed an opinion and maybe they don't like it but i myself am a little suspicious of them

Last edited:

Don't bank on that.

My issue is expectations. I knew this was not going to be the shiniest of albums. I expected little mistakes here and there. I knew it wasn't going to be moody AMOLAD style or spacy like TFF. I also knew that after making albums for 3 and a half decades, Maiden 2015 was not going to be Maiden 80's or even 2001 for that matter.

I knew this was going to be different considering the time, they way they recoded it and how it is most likely (not definitely unless they tell us) going to be their final album.

I've been a fan since 86. I have never heard anything quite like this, outside of their signature core sound. It's heavy, interesting, raw and emotional. Most importantly, it sounds like they had fun making it, never mind the fact they already said they did.

Whatever. I'm in. I'm loving it.

Right... I will say it again, i am one of those infidels, who don't like post reunion album's production, maybe, even band's songwriting style. Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding i rank better than any reunion album.. Today i listened to the new album. For me, it's their best since reunion. :scared::applause: Easily. Hell, i think it's their best since 7th Son! I am happy, truly truly happy. :) Maiden - for me - is back on track. :bigsmile:
Yes, production is not ideal, i'd like some more 'sound enchantment', but great songwriting grabbed me from the start.
For me this album is 'guitar oriented'', i like it very much. Nicko does good job, band, unlike in previous albums, does not sound old and tired. Bruce, in songwriting department, shines like diamond. I think, vocally, band should make some minor changes to accomodate his today's range. He should sing more in lower register? I'm not an expert by any means, just impressions. Even epics does not sound overly long. Songs can be even longer. :dancinggeek:

CD1

01. If Eternity Should Fail 10/10
02. Speed of Light 7.5/10
03. The Great Unknown 8.5/10
04. The Red and the Black 10/10 (instrumental section is glorious)
05. When the River Runs Deep 8.5/10
06. The Book of Souls 10/10

CD2 (no flaws here :D)

01. Death or Glory 10/10
02. Shadows of the Valley 10/10
03. Tears of a Clown 10/10
04. The Man of Sorrows 9/10
05. Empire of the Clouds 11/10

In some songs i almost started to weep. I like that album contains Bruce's solo material influences/direction. I will buy original cd. :D Victory!

Last edited:
Biggest issue with this album is that I can't choose my favorite song. Weak points like SOL and SOL and, well, SOL doesn't count beacuse I still love them. This is album that I wanted to hear for years, so much energy and passion. So much emotions. Yeah - there are mistakes but I like them, I hate artificial sound. Maybe it's not their best album ever but then - which is? Every single of them has something special that make this album better than others.

But I agree - Bruce should now try sing lower, his voice sound great then and there is no strain.

Has anyone tried to work out any of the lyrics to the songs? Not SOL of course.
I'm waiting till Friday for the album....but would love to "imagine" the song through the lyrics.
Haven't seen them anywhere and I had a good snoop around the www

I can't help but feel sorry for Mods who haven't heard the album yet and have to read all this discussion (Positive & Negative) :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back