The Book of Souls: General album discussion

Since we don't have to use spoiler tags at all here, maybe we could continue general discussion for the album in this thread.

So, what top 3 or 5 songs or whatever are you most interested in hearing? For me:

If Eternity Should Fail
The Red And The Black
The Book Of Souls
Tears Of A Clown
Empire Of The Clouds

(First, let me just note I haven't read any explicit descriptions.)

I'm looking forward to If Eternity Should Fail the most. I would like to hear something, which reflects the pure euphoria of seeing the guys entering the stage. Although I like Wildest Dreams and Different World, I don't think they nail it (especially WD - it's underwhelming as an opener). I want to feel as pumped as I feel listening to CSiT or Aces High.

Along with IESF it's obviously Empire of the Clouds. Besides excitement for some excellent writing, it's genuine curiosity this time. I'm a bit afraid my expectations will turn out to be too high after all the buzz about this track, though. Well, let's hope it's as brilliant as they picture it (97% chances ;))

The Red and the Black is next. It's kind of overshadowed by the anticipation of Empire. I hadn't expected anything outstanding before, but the more I think about it I realise it has to be exceptional. I hope to be surprised by some original approach or long time no heard vibes.

I'm also excited for The Book of Souls and Shadows of the Valley because I'm a big fan of Janick's songwriting.

The rest is all equal. I'm also very excited for them, but the ones I mentioned are those I think the most about. It's a shame that Adrian didn't write any epic (apparently), but I'm hoping his shorter songs are some of the best ever done.

Can't wait.

Honestly, even after reading reviews and such I'm still most excited about hearing these 4 songs as I was when the album was announced -

1. If Eternity Should Fail - because it's written solely by Bruce, is the album opener, seems like it'll finally be different than a "live my life" kind of opener from the last few records, and apparently was for a solo album.

2. The Book of Souls - because I basically have loved every Janick epic song off the last few albums

3. The Red and the Black - because I want to believe that Harry has another great long song in him, something that's different than the very similar stretch of Clansman/Blood Brothers/No More Lies/For the Greater Good of God/When the Wild Wind Blows

4. Empire of the Clouds - again, because of Bruce's involvement and the length and how it'll probably be very different from anything we've ever heard them do before.

Now I'm sure the others will be awesome (Speed of Light rules) but those right there are the songs I'm expecting the most from. Can't wait to hear them soon!

3. The Red and the Black - because I want to believe that Harry has another great long song in him, something that's different than the very similar stretch of Clansman/Blood Brothers/No More Lies/For the Greater Good of God/When the Wild Wind Blows
Exactly! I second that.

The album has been called the best since Seventh Son in one review and the best since Brave New World in another. I can't freaking take the excitement over this!

Okay. I was going to let Foro post first, to sum up the rest of his review. I said all along I wasn't going to do an in-depth rundown, mainly because it would feel too much like my job. I went to soak up the experience, and to hear the album for the first time in those unique surroundings, rather than listen with a review in mind. But I will make a few observations here and there. Not least because I could end up on TV in the next few days, talking a pile of crap. :facepalm:

From chatting in the studio, I think I got quite a similar overall initial impression of the album to Foro. This was in itself a surprise because we often have differing opinions on some of Maiden's past work. :p

In short:
The second disc is incredibly strong. It will hit you five times in a row. I was fully expecting some let-up in this, a significantly weaker track perhaps, and it never happened. It was relentless. I'd like to think even those who put 80s Maiden on a pedestal will find something they like here.

The first disc - this is probably where I differ to Foro, because I'd like to hear at least two songs, possibly three, several times before I draw any conclusions. The start is powerful, the end is also good, I can't make my mind up on the middle part. It may well be the case that I'm failing to appreciate something, or am overwhelmed slightly, because face it, there's an awful lot going on. But 2 tracks just didn't win me over on first listening. I'm prepared to give them that chance.

There really is a lot to take in. Nicko certainly has his work cut out for him. There are times where all three guitars are doing their own thing. One of the biggest things I'll have to get used to, though, is the effects being used by the guitarists. It's not just Dave who's been trying things out.

Okay. I was going to let Foro post first, to sum up the rest of his review. I said all along I wasn't going to do an in-depth rundown, mainly because it would feel too much like my job. I went to soak up the experience, and to hear the album for the first time in those unique surroundings, rather than listen with a review in mind. But I will make a few observations here and there. Not least because I could end up on TV in the next few days, talking a pile of crap. :facepalm:

From chatting in the studio, I think I got quite a similar overall initial impression of the album to Foro. This was in itself a surprise because we often have differing opinions on some of Maiden's past work. :p

In short:
The second disc is incredibly strong. It will hit you five times in a row. I was fully expecting some let-up in this, a significantly weaker track perhaps, and it never happened. It was relentless. I'd like to think even those who put 80s Maiden on a pedestal will find something they like here.

The first disc - this is probably where I differ to Foro, because I'd like to hear at least two songs, possibly three, several times before I draw any conclusions. The start is powerful, the end is also good, I can't make my mind up on the middle part. It may well be the case that I'm failing to appreciate something, or am overwhelmed slightly, because face it, there's an awful lot going on. But 2 tracks just didn't win me over on first listening. I'm prepared to give them that chance.

There really is a lot to take in. Nicko certainly has his work cut out for him. There are times where all three guitars are doing their own thing. One of the biggest things I'll have to get used to, though, is the effects being used by the guitarists. It's not just Dave who's been trying things out.

The fact you guys both prefer disc two surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't.
I saw the great unknown and the red and the black as potentially No More Lies and Wild Wind, which I know aren't Foro's favourite Maiden.

Thought this was an interesting contrast to both Brigantium and Forostars' unanimous decision regarding the strength of disk 2 over disk 1.

https://twitter.com/basementgalaxy/status/637089821261889536

His prior tweets state disk one is paced similar to Powerslave while he felt Shadows of the Valley brought the second disk down a tad.
Its also interesting because this dude has apparently been in possession of BoS for a month and listened multiple times.

Am currently suffering from hype paralysis.

Remember, the only reason it's 2 discs is because of the length. You should still listen to it as one full album.

Oh yeah, definitely. I am very big on listening to whole albums as opposed to particular songs, and have never skipped a song whilst jamming a whole album ever. (obviously its a bit different if I'm jamming a song where time is limited, but I usually play an album every night)

In fact, I very recently purchased The Seer by Swans (FANTASTIC album, but an acquired taste) which is a double album that is 2 hours in duration, and have spun it in its entirety 15 times already.

I've read all the reviews and tried to filter it through the context of my knowledge of the band and my own prejudices.

These are my expectations:
1) Eternity will be much-loved by myself and the fanbase in general as dark, heavy and original - a real powerful track
2) Speed is a good typical single that will be minimized by those who aren't fond of this side of Maiden, but is necessary comfort food to me, a lover of songs like Different World and 2 Minutes.
3) Unknown will be an atmospheric song that I like more than a lot of Maidenfans will
4) Red and Black will be one I like immediately and quickly grow to love. I will not be able to get enough of the instrumental.
5) River will be this record's Montsegur or Mercenary for me - heavy, decent, but one I'm more likely to skip because the melody won't grab me.
6) Book will be a Dance of Death - a very good song that I will not fall for as immediately as some, but will slowly climb my list
7) Death or Glory will be a good fast rocker - no Aces High, but a Man on the Edge or a Be Quick. It will be the type of song the PlayClassics crowd has been clamouring for (even if it doesn't satisfy them)
8) Shadows seems like a good but unremarkable song, maybe at a Die with Your Boots On level?
9) Clown has gone from the least-appealing title to my bet for the song that will be my early favourite. I'm picturing the intelligent hard rock of Mother of Mercy blended with the melodic awesomeness of Rainmaker.
10) Sorrows will be initially awkward, but a grower, much like the Man Who Would be King.
11) Empire will deliver on the hype.

This anticipation is great. Only a week until I unwrap the present and see how reality matches the hype.

Just one question, Foro... how did you manage to recognize who played each solo after just one listen? Was the sound really good and guitars were distinguishable enough or you just guessed it by style?

Back