The Blaze Era

I want to know what you guys think of Blaze Bayley's time with Iron Maiden. What do you think of the albums they released during The Blaze Era?

I personally love the Blaze era. The X Factor is my favourite album ever, and I also love Virtual XI very much. In fact, The Educated Fool is one of my three favourite Maiden songs.

The X Factor has a very dark, brooding and dense atmosphere that is pretty unique. I have a hard time choosing a favourite track off it, because all of them are of even quality. If there is so much as a poor-ish track, it would be Man on the Edge for me, but that would even be the highlight on some other Maiden albums. Although people mostly pay attention to Blaze's vocals, I think it is a very Steve-dominated album with some real wicked bass lines, and the guitarists also shine. Not to mention the lyrics are top-notch, one and all. The only let-down on the album for me is the thin production. The songs are in fact much heavier than on the album, as was demonstrated live.

I know why people don't like Virtual XI very much. There is a lot of repetition, the songs don't seem as deep, the production is a bit sterile and so on... but I love the album, just like its predecessor it hasn't got a single bad track (and yes, that includes The Angel and the Gambler!) and so many great things about it...

You don't see me crawling to the defence of the Blaze-era albums whenever somebody attacks them. That is because I don't really feel like wasting my time trying to convert somebody. I don't know if people have given them a fair chance, but I also don't really care. It took me half a year to get into The X Factor, and it has been my favourite record ever since. If people don't want to come up with that kind of patience, it's their problem.

A few words about Blaze himself. I like his voice, and his singing on the albums is superb. He has dropped a couple of times live, and he had his difficulties with some Bruce-era songs. But that doesn't mean he couldn't handle them when in top shape- he could. There is a recording, I think it is Brazil '96, where he absolutely rips The Trooper. Unfortunately, he couldn't handle a world tour of Maiden dimensions.

Not to mention that his solo records are brilliant as well. Stare at the Sun from Silicon Messiah is my favourite song ever, and the only weaker album he has put out on his own was 2008's The Man that would not Die, which still has some great tracks on it, like Voices from the Past, While You Were Gone and Smile back at Death to name only these three.

I love The X Factor because there are no sloppy and half-baked songs, everysong tell a different storry and have their own climaxes. It took me a long time to appreciate every song though, I used to get about halfway through the album before I switched back to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. This is one of the album that actually grows on you each year.

To be brutally honest: I can live without listening to Virtual XI. Futureal and The Clansman are both classics, but the rest is forgettable (and in some cases: laughable). I'm not saying that it's a bad album, it's just not my... ''cup of tea''.

What do YOU think then HallowedBeMyName?  :bigsmile:

Both albums were very good. I'm not sure which album I could pick as the better, but it may be that Virtual XI edges it slightly. Why? Mainly due to the quality of the best tracks (The Clansman, Angel & The Gambler, Como Estais Amigos) outshine the best of The X Factor.

I've always loved both albums, but recently I can't get enough of Man on the Edge after watching Falling Down. Very awesome. In fact a lot of the Blaze era subject matter is stuff I've read, watched or have messages I regularly come across in life. Virus, 2AM, The Unbeliever, I Live My Way, etc.
I connect a lot with this stuff, compared to the fantasy or story based songs from the 80s or nowadays.

The X Factor - a very un-maidenesque album, but nevertheless a good one. I sometimes find it too dark (especially when you get to Fortunes of War and onwards) so I just skip it because I don't want its mood to reflect on me. But overall, a good and solid album.

As for Virtual XI, I don't like it that much, sure, it's got Futureal, they haven't written such a fast-paced song in a decade now, it's superb, but other songs I don't consider that special. So, just an average album as far as I'm concerned.

About Blaze himself, as someone stated above, I respect him as a singer and his work in Iron Maiden, his solo work is even better, check out the Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension albums. I heard some bootlegs from his Maiden era, he did struggle with some Bruce-era songs, it could be that he simply couldn't handle a Maiden-sized tour and his voice gave in.

Ardius said:
In fact a lot of the Blaze era subject matter is stuff I've read, watched or have messages I regularly come across in life.

I recently read The Name of the Rose and saw the movie. Really good stuff =P I can clearly see that Steve got influence from those when he wrote Sign of the Cross.

I think TXF is a great album, Much better then the previous 2. Don't care too much for virtual though.
I always like to think of the "What if" scenario, where Bruce never left and he recorded AoB and CW with Maiden.
How awesome could that be. B)

About the time I discovered IMC, I started to believe that for the years 1994 -1999 Maiden should had changed
their name slightly (as they did for their logo),
to distinguish the shame
...Because, contrary to some people here, I don't like Blaze era at all!

Not the songs, not the lyrics, not the albums' covers, nothing, only the lives I saw that time I quite liked them,
and I have to say that Blaze is much better live.

The sound of Maiden LIVE that time was much better than any other sound, before or after -this is how I remember the thing.

Ok, I managed to speak about this era without being 100% negative, I should had apply to diplomatic corps  :innocent:

I only got TXF a couple of weeks ago and i still haven't got into it yet, although i love SOTC, i haven't heard all of Virtual XI but what i have, i like. I never liked Wolfsbane so when Blaze joined i never gave him a chance, i still don't think his singing is anywhere near as good as Bruces

For one I wouldn't call two albums an "era". That makes it sound like he reigned as king for decades. The Di'anno Years and the Blaze Years or albums is more fitting. The only ones to have an "Era" in Maiden are Bruce and Adrian, to be honest.

To the original question. It took me a while, but TXF has grown on me quite a lot, I'm yet to get VXI.

I must admit I'm not really a fan of Blaze's era. At the time of X factor's release, I frankly believed they were about to start a new era just like they did when Bruce arrived. I was wrong in the sense that Blaze did not have the time to really prove how good he is. I must explain this: In my opinion Blaze would have needed a couple more LPs to really be at 100% of his capacities.
So what?
Both X factor and Virtual XI are good cds. X factor is copious (nearly a double album!) but is vacuous here and there (e.g. Fortunes of war which song I hate!). Virtual XI is more "packed" but fillers or sub-fillers are numerous (The angel, When two worlds collide, Don't look...). In 1995 Steve said that the album wasn't that dark but it is obvious that Bruce's leaving had left them all down and bloodless.
In that context Virtual XI is a strong and clear sign of life but Blaze was probably not ready at the time of recording. What would have happened if the guys would have toured a bit before entering the studios? Hum...
Virtual was worked and recorded against the clock* because the band (Steve?) wanted it to be ready fot the 98 soccer world cup. As a French, I must say that the competition was great  :D but maiden's XIth album left me with a strange sensation of half finished songs and second rate producion.
However good Brave New World might be, if I had the choice, I would go for a third Maiden+Blaze album... :innocent:
I'm a dreamer...

* The first maiden album with no studio b-sides...

If there is so much as a poor-ish track, it would be Man on the Edge

Man on the Edge? That has always been one of my favorites on the album, as well as Sign of the Cross.

I enjoy Virtual XI and The X Factor equally.

The X Factor edges over Virtual XI in terms of listenability as a whole album. In Virtual XI I always skip over The Angel and the Gambler (I might listen to the first 3 minutes). I don't think The X Factor has a single weak track, just some that stand out above the rest such as The Sign of the Cross, The Lord of the Flies, Judgement of Heaven, and 2 AM. The Clansman and Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger from Virtual XI happen to be some of my favorite Maiden tracks ever. I think Blaze's voice fits with what he sings for Maiden, although his voice doesn't seem to fit so well with some earlier Maiden. Bruce's rendition of The Clansman on Rio is good, and honestly he fits better into Maiden as a whole. However, this doesn't mean that Blaze is bad. His style is just different. I would heartily recommend checking out some of his solo stuff such as Silicon Messiah and The Tenth Dimension. I also believe that the Blaze years really brought out something extra in Maiden, added a depth, that they have been able to incorporate nicely into their more recent releases.

Admittedly when I was first introduced to Maiden, I was introduced to post-Blaze Maiden and so when I heard some of the songs off of Virtual XI or The X Factor I thought it was like a step backwards. I've always loved Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger though, so I guess you could say I was initially more receptive to Virtual XI. It took me a few years to explore the Blaze albums more thoroughly, although this is also true for the Di'Anno albums. Last summer I gave The X Factor a proper deep listen, plenty of time, all of that, and I grew to love it, although I really need to be in the proper mood for it.

So in conclusion, I greatly enjoy both Blaze albums with Maiden.

The X-Factor made Maiden finally progress into the future, something the previous two albuns couldn't achieve.

It takes a while to understand the album. I personally don't like the final track because of the lyrics. But the rest is superb.

The Virtual XI was and still is a big disappointment to me: i hate the lyrics, except on a couple of tracks. Overall, i think it's one of the weakest albuns Maiden ever created (and it was the very first album i bought imidiatelly after its release).

So, the Blaze Era produced one very important album (opened gates that are clearly visible today on the latest Maiden catalogue) and another that is, at least for me, sub-par in the overall Maiden catalogue and continued the blood-line since their fall after the release of No Prayer for the Dying. Despite the fact that Virtual XI does have a great song - The Clansman.

VXI is sub-standard, but only according to Maiden standards. I wouldn't say it's a bad album. Probably it was produced too fast, like JackKnife said. For instance the Angel... , it should be only about 4 minutes long or so, and it would be a great studio song (like on the video).

I didn't care much for the ''like a cancer eating at the skin...'' part. I don't know why, but I just felt that you shouldn't make these comparisons. I'm not a cancer victim, but my friend's grandfather died from throat cancer, and it was not nice at all. I don't know where I'm going with this, it should probobly have been posted on the topic for the song itself, but I just wanted to agree with the previous poster about the lyrics to The Unbeliever.

But on the other hand, it DOES contain the best ''solo interaction'' in Maiden history.

Natalie said:
Admittedly when I was first introduced to Maiden, I was introduced to post-Blaze Maiden and so when I heard some of the songs off of Virtual XI or The X Factor I thought it was like a step backwards. I've always loved Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger though, so I guess you could say I was initially more receptive to Virtual XI. It took me a few years to explore the Blaze albums more thoroughly, although this is also true for the Di'Anno albums.

That might also be true for a couple of other Maiden albums.

Natalie said:
Admittedly when I was first introduced to Maiden, I was introduced to post-Blaze Maiden and so when I heard some of the songs off of Virtual XI or The X Factor I thought it was like a step backwards. I've always loved Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger though, so I guess you could say I was initially more receptive to Virtual XI. It took me a few years to explore the Blaze albums more thoroughly, although this is also true for the Di'Anno albums. Last summer I gave The X Factor a proper deep listen, plenty of time, all of that, and I grew to love it, although I really need to be in the proper mood for it.

I suppose that you must have a very different feeling when you listen to a Maiden album at the time of its release and when you discover albums years after they were recorded. Apart from the first album, I've always bought the albums when they were released and this must have had an impact on my feelings. For example, in 1995 everybody was expecting something special from the band since Bruce had left and this created a huge pression on them, making things difficult and also inducing very high expectations among guys like me. But this is not fair because in that case even a good album might sound poorly average!
This is what happened to X-factor at least in some countries.
On the contrary, listening to the cd years later completely  changes the context and possibly allows a more "objective" evaluation of the music (if possible).
It's just a thought... :D

Back