The Beatles Survivor [2018 Edition] ~ Round 5

Vote for your LEAST favourite songs!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I understand the point of the promotion rule. How many songs per album are going to be promoted? What constitutes "not a lot of votes?" Why not just wait until 2 or 3 songs are left from an album or promote singles separately (one side per single gets promoted)?

Surprised All I've Got to Do got votes in this round, easily one of the best tracks on the album imo.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the promotion rule. How many songs per album are going to be promoted? What constitutes "not a lot of votes?" Why not just wait until 2 or 3 songs are left from an album or promote singles separately (one side per single gets promoted)?
Okay, I expected some confusion around this. See it like this...none of the five songs I promoted from Please Please Me had received any more than just 1 vote for any of the two PPM album rounds. Also, I Saw Her Standing There and From Me To You both received zero votes.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, but this is how the promotion rule works. Of course, I can't promote too many songs at once and therefore, I'll set the limit at around 3-5 promoted songs. Hope this clarifies some things.

Okay, I still haven’t re-written the post, so I’ve at least put me votes in...

Wait... I’LL GET YOU HAS SIX VOTES? YOUSE GOBSHITES! YOUSE LIMP COCKS! IS THERE FUCKING SMEG IN YOUR CUNTING EARS???
AAAARGH

upload_2018-8-22_21-37-45.gif

My biggest gripe with Please Please Me is that the song selection doesn’t always play to their strengths. With the Beatles is a bit of an improvement in this area. A big part of it is material that fits the personalities of the individual members. Don’t Bother Me, for example, is a great song that complements George’s vocal style and helps further his image as “the quiet one.” The performances and arrangements are also tighter. It’s amazing how far along they came after just a few months. The jump from this to A Hard Day’s Night is incredible.

The song selection is not perfect though. The Roll Over Beethoven cover is really not good, mostly because of the vocal performance. It’s very laid back and lacks the fire of Chuck Berry’s performance. The rhythm section also drags. I don’t think it was a good choice of a song to cover to begin with, but at the very least having Paul sings it would’ve gone a long way.

Ringo once again gets the throwaway track with I Wanna Be Your Man. An even more generic attempt of a song in the style of Boys. To that end, Money is also a retread of Please Please Me material. This time it’s an obvious attempt at recapturing the success of Twist and Shout with Money. It doesn’t work nearly as well and is one of their more forgettable covers.

That being said, the covers selection is much stronger overall. Please Mr Postman is awesome. Great interplay between the vocals. Til There Was You is (according to the liner notes) a follow up to A Taste Of Honey but is so much better. It’s laid back but there’s a lot more drive and Paul gives a stellar performance. I really enjoy the rhythm guitar work and George’s solo too. Their versions of You Really Got a Hold On Me and Devil In Her Heart are also very strong.

Of course the main event is the Lennon/McCartney originals. I’d say they are stronger overall than on the previous album.
It Won’t Be Long is such a great rocker. I love the dynamic between the vocals. The yeahs in the chorus and the call and response harmonies in the verses are Beatles vocal arrangements at their strongest. Hold Me Tight has a similar level of energy and also contains great harmonies as well as a tight groove. All My Loving is a classic for good reason. One of Paul’s finest melodies and performances. It also has a very dense arrangement that seems Phil Spector influenced.

They’re still growing and finding their sound here but it’s a noticeable step up overall. I consider these first two albums as warm ups for A Hard Day’s Night, which is really where The Beatles begin as an albums driven band. With the Beatles is not one I come back to often, but it’s very enjoyable throughout and contains some of my all time favorite Beatles songs.

Eliminated:

Do You Want To Know A Secret - 7 votes
Thank You Girl - 8 votes
Little Child - 7 votes
Roll Over Beethoven - 6 votes
You Really Got A Hold On Me - 6 votes
I Wanna Be Your Man - 6 votes
Not A Second Time - 7 votes
I'll Get You - 6 votes

Decided to get rid of a bit more songs than usual to make this go slightly quicker.

I'm not sure everyone has gotten their votes in yet, so I'm leaving this open until then.

...also, @JudasMyGuide, you really need to work on that post, you know. Also, always copy your draft posts so you don't have to constantly rewrite your posts from scratch...

I’m still not sure if I'm understanding the rules here. Why aren’t the remaining three Please Please Me songs being promoted?

220px-HardDayUK.jpg

Eliminated:

Misery - 5 votes
Anna (Go To Him) - 5 votes
Ask Me Why - 5 votes
Devil In Her Heart - 5 votes

Promoted:

It Won't Be Long
Please Mister Postman
Money (That's What I Want)
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
This Boy

A Hard Day’s Night joins the game! Along with the Long Tall Sally EP.

This is where the game starts heating up, I think. Also, I'm dreadfully sorry for the long delay, I was quite busy with some other stuff in life.

Man, AHDN is pretty strong, I only voted for "Tell Me Why" from it. Could not decide on the rest. Whew.

Dusty hasn't been active for almost a month. Wonder if he's doing alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back