Vote for your LEAST favourite songs!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardust

Rainmaker
PleasePleaseMe_1.jpg

“One, two, three, four!”

Welcome to The Beatles Survivor! This is the new 2018 edition. It’s been four years since the last one, so it’s about time for a new one, especially considering Maidenfans has changed a bit since then.

Now, I will include every UK studio album plus the USA album version of Magical Mystery Tour, which has become the standard version anyways.
However, I will not include the two Past Masters albums. This is because I’m instead going to add in the singles and their B-sides with the album they were released around.

For instance, in this first round, you can see that I’ve added From Me To You and its b-side as part of the Please Please Me album rounds. This will apply for all the other albums as well. Naturally, if the single is on the actual album already, only the b-sides will be bonus songs for that round.

Anyway, as for rules…

• Album rounds last until around 10, 11 or less songs remain. Then the next album joins the fray!
  • As for maximum votes in each round...you can vote for half the songs on the poll in the album rounds. In the finals? 10 votes at first, but as soon as there’s twenty total songs on the poll, it goes down to 5 votes. As for the Top 10...3 votes to start off with, goes down to 2 in the Top 5 and goes down to just 1 vote in the Top 3. Naturally if you vote for more songs than allowed, your votes won’t be counted.
  • Songs that survive until the end of their respective album rounds and don't get a lot of votes get promoted to the finals.
  • I will update the survivor when everyone has voted, to give people enough time to ponder over their votes.
And with that, enough talk, go vote for the songs you want out of the picture!

Oh, and be sure to discuss the songs and albums as well…’s only natural.

Last edited:
Alright, I’ll jump right in:
  • I Saw Her Standing There - Good album opener and a classic early tune.
  • Misery - Always enjoyed this one, nice second song.
  • Anna (Go To Him) - Underrated cover. I’ve always liked it despite many others not giving it much attention.
  • Chains - A typical early Beatles song. Good but not special. Vote.
  • Boys - Not that great. Bad first song for Ringo. Vote.
  • Ask Me Why - I always liked this and think it deserves more attention.
  • Please Please Me - Great title track.
  • Love Me Do - As far as first singles go, this one is very good. Great introduction to the band’s style.
  • P.S. I Love You - Meh. Vote.
  • Baby It’s You - Decent but not outstanding. Vote.
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret - George’s first song is a classic but honestly not my favorite. Vote.
  • A Taste of Honey - Worst song here. Herp Albert was better. Vote.
  • There’s a Place - Typical early Beatles song. Vote.
  • Twist and Shout - Overrated cover. Vote.
  • From Me To You - Great single.
  • Thank You Girl - Great b-side.

Please Please Me is a decent enough debut album for the band. Of course, it's a bit rough - it was recorded in a single day, after all! Definitely not one of my favourite Beatles albums, truth be told, it's somewhere near the bottom for me.

Let's go over those songs, then.

01: I Saw Her Standing There
Great, great opener. This has always been one of those universally loved Beatles songs that pretty much everyone knows and that "One, two, three, four!" intro from McCartney is legendary. My favourite song on the album.
02: Misery
A bit more standard, although still good. I think the huge contrast between the title/lyrics and actual music of the song makes it for me. I am probably going to vote for it next round, though.
03: Anna (Go To Him)
One of the better covers on this album. John's performance is honestly really good here. It's what puts this one ahead of most of the other covers. Nice work, John.
04: Chains
Well, not much defending I can do for this sorry little song. It's so generic and forgettable, plus the melodies are weak. Definitely a vote for this one and it's one of my absolute least favourite Beatles songs.
05: Boys
I almost voted for this one. But then I remembered the rockin' Hollywood Bowl version. And Ringo puts in a good performance as well. I will be voting for it next round, but not this time around.
06: Ask Me Why
Ugh. This is the stuff the band quickly grew out of writing, thankfully. I just find it very, very weak. Also one of my least favourite Beatles songs. Yes, I'm giving it a vote.
07: Please Please Me

My second favourite on the album by a very slim margin. This song is pretty fantastic all around, the melodies are superb and catchy - it's no wonder it was such a massive hit.
08: Love Me Do
Simple? Yes. Repetitive? Yes. Bad? Nope. This song is good, although anything beyond that level of quality is a stretch. Probably voting for it pretty soon, but hey...it's become a classic for a reason.
09: P.S. I Love You
I was SO close to voting for this one this round, but there's just something slightly endearing about the lightweight feel of it all, both the music and the lyrics. But yeah...definitely going to vote for this one next round.
10: Baby It’s You
Gah. I really don't like this one. It's very boring and I skip it every time I listen to this album. Vote.
11: Do You Want To Know A Secret

This one falls into pretty much the same boat as Love Me Do, if just a wee bit more complex. Put ten pairs of quotation marks on complex, though. This one's as simple as can be. And it can get repetitive fast. Still, it's George's first vocal outing on a Beatles album. That's worth at least something, right? Probably, but I am voting for it next round.
12: A Taste Of Honey
...more bland covers. This one in particular is a real snoozefest. Definitely voting for it.
13: There’s A Place
And another one for the trash heap. Just so uninteresting and unmemorable. Vote.
14: Twist And Shout

Classic cover. I like it a lot, although not as much as most people. Still, it's my third favourite on the album. John's voice is very much in tatters at this point, but I wouldn't have it any other way for this song. His raspy performance here makes the song for me.
15: From Me To You
This is just a great little song from top to bottom. If this was part of the album, it would be my third favourite on the album, as it's much better than Twist And Shout, in my opinion.
16: Thank You Girl
Pass. This b-side has never done anything for me. Voting for it.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in, may not get to this until the weekend though.

I recommend the mono versions if you can find them. Those are the way the songs were originally mixed and contain instruments/vocals that were removed or altered in the stereo mixes (most of which came after the albums were first released). It can be a very interesting listen if you've only heard Beatles in stereo.

I'll also be listening to the Anthology material in addition to the regular albums.

Chains, Boys, Please Please Me, Love Me Do and A Taste of Honey. I'll try to comment on the whole album ASAP.

Okay, @Mosh and @Night Prowler haven't voted yet so I'll keep it open until they have voted. And if anyone else decides to participate during that time, well, that's great!

Also, @JudasMyGuide, you haven't posted your comment on the full album yet! I've been really looking forward to reading it, you know!

...I'm a bit impatient sometimes.

Voted for Chains, Boys, Ask Me Why, PS I Love You, Baby It's You, A Taste of Honey, There's a Place and Thank You Girl.

I went through the entire Beatles discography in April, so should be able to mostly go off memory here.

There are three tiers of songs on this album: the heavy hitters that are rightfully recognized as classics, the lesser known gems that are good but less famous for a reason, and throwaway filler. Pop music was still very singles based obviously so it makes sense that they hadn't quite figured it out yet. The only pop artist I can think of who was making great cohesive albums prior to the Beatles is Sinatra. The odd thing is that it's not like The Beatles needed filler. They supposedly wrote over 100 songs before the album came out. A lot of these were probably trash, but some did resurface later to become classics such as When I'm 64. There are also some originals that appear on the first anthology set that were recorded before Please Please Me. In Spite Of All the Danger, Cry For A Shadow (the only Lennon/Harrison collab), and Like Dreamers Do would've been solid replacements for some of the less memorable songs on here. Same with covers. Some really weak choices when the band had so many better songs in their repertoire: Searchin', That'll Be the Day, Three Cool Cats, Besame Mucho. All could've become classic versions if more people had heard them. So in some ways Please Please Me seems like a missed opportunity and not a representation of their best work.

Anyway, for me, these are the great songs: I Saw Her Standing There, Please Please Me, Love Me Do, Twist and Shout, From Me To You (this one probably being my favorite of the whole bunch)

The pretty good but less memorable songs: Misery, Anna, Ask Me Why, PS I Love You, Baby It's You, Thank You Girl

The throwaway filler: Chains, Boys, Do You Want To Know a Secret, A Taste of Honey, There's a Place

I'm surprised to see Thank You Girl taking a beating here. It has a really nice hook and melody. Love the way it starts as a unison vocal before branching off into harmony for both the verses and choruses.

Ask Me Why is my pick for overlooked gem of the album. Love the little rhythmic beats and the interplay between the vocalists. Also the way the vocal melody seamlessly goes from part to part. Just a really tightly written song. Nice chord progression and key changes too.

Overall, it's an album that's probably more interesting for its historic value than musical value. Other than I Saw Her Standing There and Twist and Shout, all you really need are the singles from these early sessions. Some of the lesser known tracks can be enjoyable though since you don't hear them as often. For now I'm just voting for the songs in the "filler" category.

Well, I was going to wait until NP also voted but this seems pretty conclusive to me...so the new round will be up shortly.

PleasePleaseMe_1.jpg

Eliminated:

Chains - 10 votes
Boys - 10 votes
A Taste Of Honey - 8 votes

Okay, there'll be one more round before the next album joins the game.

Ask Me Why is my pick for overlooked gem of the album. Love the little rhythmic beats and the interplay between the vocalists. Also the way the vocal melody seamlessly goes from part to part. Just a really tightly written song. Nice chord progression and key changes too.
Yep, it’s always been a song that kinda stuck out to me without crossing into ‘one of the greats’.

I do think the key thing with The Beatles is that they, like Maiden, haven’t released a bad track. It’s just different levels ranging from “eh this isn’t my thing” to “oh wow, this is great!”

Oops, I had forgotten the "Survivor" part of the thread title. Kinda embarrassing. But it's fixed now, so no worries.

...how did I manage to do that?

Comment under construction, hopefully will post it today.

In the meantime voting against Please Please Me, Love Me Do and Secret.

I'm currently re-listening to the album in mono, for maybe the fourth time. I think the mono mixes of these early albums pack more punch, most of the songs feel more "rocking" this way. Though once we get to the more "studio-based" albums, I'll probably switch to stereo anyway. I tried listening to both Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in mono this April and I didn't like it at all. In fact, I'm gonna go out and say it sounds like shit. Way too claustrophobic, muddy, the individual tracks disappear at random and in general it all sounds more like some weird demo. Converted into 32kbps MP3 just for the heck of it.

On the other hand, those early stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Revolver (I think) where they kept all the instruments in the left channel and all the voices in the right one will make you want to kill yourself. In headphones it's absolutely unlistenable.

Also, the White Album was never meant to be released primarily in mono and in fact the mono version was more or less an afterthought this time (IIRC, that is). The mono version have some serious problems (I don't really care about "blisters" being deleted from Helter Skelter, but on Long, Long, Long there's something weird about the backing vocals that makes me head hurt, actually, and the fiddle seems to drown everything on Don't Pass Me By).

But enough talk on mixes, let's look at the "sunny" album. And while you might say it's only personal subjective feeling that has no serious backing whatsoever, it always felt to me as if their career began and ended with albums that felt connected to the Sun, though where PPM had the "sunny" feel of holidays and youthful exuberance, Abbey Road always hat this dry, hazy, drowsy feel of very hot sunny afternoon (and yes, that one's really the last one, Let It Be is more of a post-scriptum, also, it was recorded before AR). It's a very happy and a very silly record, not necessarily bad because of it, but definitely very lightweight in any regard. Just look at the cover - already With the Beatles would be the "dark" one, and the sound of that album always felt darker and nastier to me that this one. Starostin talks about the latter having more of George and John, having more of that "pepper" - though that's an oversimplification (I am perfectly well aware that Lennon had his share of silly happy songs and Macca of dark ones, besides Lennon has always been only my third favourite Beatle and I always hated the hipsterish, angsty "TR00 LENNON" approach, you know what I mean), there is something about every oversimplification, because I can't help but feel that this record, dominated by Macca, is much lighter and more easy-going than pretty much anything else that would come later, since even AHDN, mostly a Lennon work in his most friendly and optimistic mood, still doesn't quite get this right. Past Rubber Soul, they'd also be way to serious to truly sound this way. Maybe that's why I never quite understood the "back to roots" idea permeating Let It Be - apart from nostalgic remembering of the Hamburg days (which might have been grand, but not necessarily from the musical point of view), they seemed to try to recapture a spirit and approach that was there only for a very limited time and that was really not to be recaptured, because even if they succeeded, it would mostly resemble a middle-aged man writing silly, fatalistic poems to the girl of his heart, presumably at least two decades younger than him.

That probably makes this LP the closest to the early efforts of the Beach Boys - All Summer Long is full of those feelings - and also the perfect soundtrack to any holiday, any feel-good montage, you know the drift.

I Saw Her Standing There... gets a pass from me. It's simplistic, they would soon do much better, but it's first, you see, and pretty good considering the time and the place. The "how could I dance with another" part, though, is fierce, though. Listen to the rise of the base there. The solo is more or less laughable - though on the other hand just compare it with Carl Wilson's attempts on the early Boys' albums and you'll see the gigantic difference. George would eventually learn to do minimalistic lead guitar in a masterful and tasteful way and this is a cool sorta preview, methinks.

Misery... has an early Beatles "hit melody"TM. It's really funny, because it's actually the first time we see the glimpses of true "Beatles work", chronologically, yet in hindsight it already feels a bit "by the book". If it proceeds into the next round I will definitely vote against it. You might say I'm being too tough on the blokes, but I didn't vote against it so far, now have I? The idea of upbeat melody and downbeat lyrics, while novel and possibly hilarious if you try to take it as a mockery of those fatalistic youthful feelings/songs/bands (deconstructing emo?) is not my favourite, however. Feels kínda weird.

I've never found the time to go and check out Arthur Alexander yet, but I've always wanted to. 'Cause Anna is one of the most interesting covers the Fab Four've ever done and I don't say that lightly. It has a downright haunting atmosphere and a magnificent flow and it's actually very memorable. Recently I realised that this has been my go-to song from this first LP for quite some time, thus making it probably my favourite off this one. I know, I know. But it's really the dark horse of PPM in me book.

Chains are really not that great. Especially since it's Carole King's work, who usually does so much better. Very basic, boring, actually. Not even George's vocals (I really like his voice, tbh) can save this. Would be absolutely umemorable, if not for the fact its blandness make it stick out like a lad in a nunnery in between all the other efforts, including many of the other covers. Vote. (you know, I started this comment much earlier, so excuse some anachronisms here and there)

Same goes for Boys. The Four would often make the covers work via bringing out important elements neglected in the originals (Words of Love, more on that later), via giving the songs more emotion that was present in the original (Please Mr. Postman) or by actually picking great tracks that tend to be forgotten nowadays (the aforementioned Anna). Boys do nothing of the sort. It's a bit more lively than Chains, but just as unmemorable. Mostly a throwaway track for Ringo to sing. Also, while we're at it, hearing Ringo singing about "boys" being a "bundle of joy" is... not appreciated, really. Also, George, what are you doing? I just spoke well of you few songs ago, what's this? I insisted you are quite unlike Carl Wilson, you see... Vote.

Ask Me Why is... a bit clumsy, song writing-wise, those contrasts between the hectic chorus and the starts and stops make it feel very uneasy and the I-I-I, while melodically good has a very strange feel to it. Some good chord changes make it my second favourite of the first half of the album for me, though.

Please Please Me was a huge hit and became the title track, but I don't really understand why. It feels more like an idea that might be eventually turned into a good song, but at this point still mostly an idea. The "come on" and "please" hook is rather weak, IMHO, and a proper chorus would definitely be appreciated. The harmonica line could also be expanded upon, methinks. Gets my vote every time. Also, doesn't the mono version a more prominent guitar part at places? Either that or I didn't listen to it for way too long.

If somebody told me that Ringo actually did write songs for the Beatles, yet didn't tell me which songs exactly, I'd probably guess Love Me Do. The song almost feels as if it wants to be your friend and It's like a fat, bumbling cat chasing after a fly, yet losing it in the end. Again, no hook in sight. Vote.

I don't quite understand why PS I Love You keeps getting so many votes. Okay, it might seem a bit sappy or cheesy, but then again - what here isn't? (Apart from I Saw Her and Twist and Shout, possibly?) The development of the melody is very old-school, true, at times feeling almost "Presleyish" or "Sinatrasque", but that doesn't make it worse in my book. This used to be my original dark horse, actually - after listening to this album many times over I actually re-discovered this particular track one day and was quite baffled that I managed not to notice something as cute as this here track.
I tell you that from "Treasure" to "You-you-you", the music's unparalleled and this melodic line by itself leaves current pop music crying in the rain in shame.

I'm really glad Baby It's You didn't get eliminated last time, although many peoply obviously dislike it. I guess it's because of the retarded "sha-la-las". But .. it has a rather untrivial development, with a nice buildup before the title drop Small wonder, it was originally written by Burt Bacharach. Might not be one of his finest creations, but it certainly better than its score here would suggest. Possibly my second favourite on the album as a whole.

The "Nun falling down the stairs" of Do You Want to Know a Secret is catchy, but also very clunky. I know what they were aiming at and the song's not unpopular, but in general it feels half baked. I just can't get into it, also the eternal "up-and-down"s feel like a rather lazy attempt at true catchy hook. Invaders, anyone?
Also, that "I've known the secret for a week or two // Nobody knows just we two" bridge is quite possibly the stupidest moment in any of the self-penned songs around here, both melodically and lyrically. The spoken intro is also very questionable, as is the echo on the "doo-dah-doo"s in the chorus. Definitely a vote.

Taste of Honey is one of the songs I didn't like even in the original version, the hazy atmosphere, slow tempo and cheap attempt at something approaching "mystique" make me think of a Turkish brothel every time. The Fab Four doesn't actually improve on anything. I admit the middle eight is not all bad, but I see no reason whatsoever to listen to this one. Vote.

There's a Place is a very weird one. I think I should like it less than I do, but there's something about the rise in that "Aaand it's my miiind" that gets me everytime. Lots of comparisons with Brian's In My Room, thematically, yes, it also probably stands out here in that regard, but it's no Dylan, that's for sure. But I feel this one tends to be neglected, though I tend to neglect it myself. Confused? That's okay, I meself often am.

I know I'm probably being contrarian again, but Twist and Shout is okay, but nothing special. It's got a lot of energy, true, but it's also repetitive and has no progress whatsoever for the third longest song on the album. I don't care how many cough drops Lennon downed after recording this one, it's "just" a good rocker. That's not something I go to the Beatles primarily for. Still, it's rather good, just not as exceptional as usually depicted.

Regarding those two non-album songs...

From Me to You has an ingenious melody throughout, one of the most well-written songs among this first bunch. A hit for ages and deservedly so. If there is such thing as "Beatles genius" (and I certainly believe there is, careful as I usually am with the word), it's already notable here - just hum the vocal melody of the verse and then go straight into the chorus/middle eight and you'll know what I'm talking about. This is something lesser songwriters try to sell their souls to demons for. Okay, maybe I'm overselling - it's not their best song and it's not even my favourite, especially 'cause it's been so overplayed, but to deny its merits would be silly and prejudiced, IMHO.

I'm surprised to see Thank You Girl taking a beating here. It has a really nice hook and melody. Love the way it starts as a unison vocal before branching off into harmony for both the verses and choruses.

Agree with this, though it's not really my particular favourite. The chorus leaves something to be desired. Not going to vote against it anytime soon, but I like a lot of the other songs much more.

Anyway, that's probably most of what I've had on my mind. Sorry, it's late and I've not had enough sleep in the past few days, so please pardon any mistakes and incoherences. Slán!

Last edited:
Eliminated:

P.S. I Love You - 5 votes
Baby It's You - 5 votes
There's A Place - 5 votes

Promoted:

I Saw Her Standing There
Please Please Me
Love Me Do
Twist And Shout
From Me To You

(I made a change to the rules presented in the first post if you're confused by the promoted songs.)

With The Beatles joins the game! Along with two singles with their respective b-sides, and you surely don’t need any introduction for those two.

Right, here we go again. With The Beatles is a much better album than its predecessor. The sound is a lot more polished and there's not as much fluff as on the previous album. Believe it or not, it used to be one of my favourite Beatles albums. Not any longer, but still...it shows that this album has a bit more meat on its bones than PPM, which is definitely a plus.

Okay, what about these songs? Well, let's see here...

01: It Won't Be Long

The album starts off with a bang. And what a song it is! It immediately shows us that the boys have improved their craft tremendously since their first go at the bat. The song gets going as soon as you hit play, and that infectious chorus line of "It won't be long yeah YEAH yeah YEAH" sticks firmly in my head for a number of hours after every time I've heard it. Anyhow, this is also a much more energetic opener than I Saw Her Standing There and a lot more dynamic as well. I can't fault it much at all! So, with all that...this is a superb opener and one I won't be voting for in a long, long time, contrary to what the name of the song is.

02: All I've Got To Do

...I've just now realized how often the boys used the phrase "Say the words you long to hear" on these early tunes. Aside from that, this is a much more lightweight song. There's not a lot to it, there's a slow tempo in the verses which is a tad too slow for my liking, and a chorus which increases the tempo to a more upbeat one before going back the plodding verse again. Then back again to the upbeat chorus before escalating into a great bridge. Then it all starts over again. You could say it's very dynamic from that, but that would be a little too nice for it. Still, it's not a bad song, in fact I think it's pretty good. But yeah, probably going to vote for it next round.

03: All My Loving

Well, if this isn't an absolute classic, then I don't know what is. The flamenco-styled guitar playing, the great verses, the great chorus...every bit of this song is great! It's well deserved its longstanding fame amongst Beatles fans and music listeners in general. It's the best song on the album, no doubt about that. I can't even say much about it because so much has already been said about how good it is. This one goes to eleven.

04: Don't Bother Me

Oh, hey! It's George's songwriting debut! And it's much, much better than Do You Want To Know A Secret. Still not the best song, but it's a really good one nonetheless. Pffft, and you can see where George got his "Shy Beatle" moniker from when his first own song is called Don't Bother Me. Anyway, the vocal performance is worlds better than his performance on Secret where he sounds raspy, a far cry from what George's voice is normally like on his songs. He'd still improve his own craft far beyond this first song, though. Good one, George!

05: Little Child

Meanwhile, John seems to be loafing about, not really caring about what he writes, because this is absolute filler. The melody is repetitive and unremarkable, the pounding cymbals get tiring really fast and that harmonica is also grating. What a letdown after such a strong start!

06: Till There Was You

Well, coming off from A Taste of Honey...this cover sounds like a terrible idea. But fortunately enough, they manage to make it into a very respectable effort. Paul's vocal performance is slick and lovely manner and it's all around just a pleasant number. Definitely one to sit back and relax to. And it's quite different from the original Music Man version...because it's turned into a normal acoustic pop song instead of a overly orchestrated sappy song with VERY overdramatic pseudo-operatic vocals from...whoever it was. Nicely done, Paul.

07: Please Mister Postman

This one usually gets mentioned a lot when discussing the best covers Beatles did. It's not too hard to see why, they took the infectious chorus hook from the original, gave it to John, and filled it with twice as much desperation as the original. They overdo the trick a wee bit by the end as it gets quite repetitive, but this is all around a really good cover. Not much else to say.

08: Roll Over Beethoven

Well, George gets a second chance to shine on the album and of course...it's the perennial Chuck Berry classic that isn't Johnny B. Goode, Sweet Little Sixteen or...whatever, it's not a very inventive cover. Strangely enough, there is a bizarre lack of energy present in this cover and the rockin' feel that is supposed to be there, especially in a song with this subject matter...is just not there. It's a weird misfire, because it should be a fantastic cover. But the production and sound just lets it down. The album's sound works well with plenty of the other songs on the album, but here it doesn't. Sorry, George, but I'll have to vote for this one.

09: Hold Me Tight

Well, this one sure sounds nothing like the rest of the album. That relentless rhythm guitar work is rough and it makes this one stand out a lot. It's not perfect, Paul quite often sings out of tune and I can't for the life of me hear the bass on it, but it's endearing and it has grown on me exponentially over the years. I really despised it before, but well...see how times change? At least it's totally distant from the others on the album. Where was this rough sound on their Chuck Berry cover?!

10: You Really Got A Hold On Me

This is also one of the band's more celebrated covers. Comparisons can be made towards Anna on the previous album, both songs are covers sung by John, both are midtempo, although this one is slower than Anna....and it's also decidedly worse than Anna, although not a bad song. It's a pretty good cover, but I am going to vote for it next round.

11: I Wanna Be Your Man

Lennon and McCartney handed THIS over to the Stones?! Wow, they really didn't couldn't give a fuck about their competition, did they? Because it's AWFUL. Ringo's vocal performance is decently inadequate, it's what we would expect from him at this stage, the cymbals are infuriating here while they were only annoying on Little Child, and let's not even mention the simplistic lyrics which make Love Me Do's lyrics look like Supper's Ready. Also, the guitar "solo" is pisspoor at best. Gahhhhh, it sucks, it sucks, it sucks! I am voting for it, because I need it out of this game!

12: Devil In Her Heart

Yeah, anything would be better than that travesty. Unfortunately, this one isn't a lot better, although it's definitely superior to the idiotic cymbal crashing that came before it. It's just a standard cover with no frills or added Beatles flair. It's not bad, but just not very interesting. Vote.

13: Not A Second Time

Well, the band finally woke up. While the lyrics are nothing to write home about, I adore everything else about this song. That dark piano playing gives it a extra dimension, which the song wouldn't have otherwise and the ending is superb. Definitely one of my favourite songs on the album, the melody is excellent and John truly improves himself after his lackluster effort on Little Child.

14: Money (That's What I Want)

I guess they figured that since Twist And Shout worked so well as the closer, they should just do the same trick again. It seems to have worked, this is one of the band's more played live numbers. Unfortunately, I don't like it. The guitars sound muddy, John's vocal performance just apes his performance on Twist And Shout and it sounds very phoned in compared to the former. People generally seem to like this cover a lot, but I just don't. Sorry, but I am voting for it.

And that's the actual album. Onto the non-album songs...

15: She Loves You

As if I need to say anything for this one. It's one of my absolute favourite Beatles songs and it's so darn catchy it should be illegal. They really came out with a winner here. Woo, fantastic job, boys!

16: I'll Get You

Unfortunately, the b-side just doesn't hold a candle to its a-side, but that was to be expected. However, it's just so bland and forgettable that I have no other choice but to vote for it. Nothing truly wrong with it, just one of the most forgettable Beatles songs ever, in my opinion. Vote.

17: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Ugh, I'm not the biggest fan of this one. That's certainly an unpopular opinion, but I've just never really seen the appeal for this one. Not voting for it this round, but definitely next round. What else is there to say about this one, though? Not a lot, history has already said everything about this one. It's supremely important to the band's history but I just think it's vastly inferior to She Loves You.

18: This Boy

I adore the instrumental version from the A Hard Day's Night movie. It's called Ringo's Theme on there and it just fits Ringo like a glove as he walks about, feeling glum. The actual normal song is not as fantastic, but still really good. I think it's way superior to its overrated a-side and I think it deserves a lot more attention.

...and that's all of the songs gone over. Phew, that was a lot to go through.

Okay, @Mosh, @JudasMyGuide and the others...go vote already! And discuss as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back