The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

The Canadians fought like lions. Remember Germany WTFed everyone when they beat Sweden, too.

The equivalent is "anybody beating Canada in hockey". That's what you normally explain sports dominance with.

WTF...
I don't know much, or anything about ice hockey. I've seen one match between Orlando Solar Bears and Norfolk Admirals, which wasn't NHL. However, I would imagine with Canada's obsession with ice hockey that their national team would normally have three or four players for each position, which is what New Zealand have in Rugby Union. With the disparity between Canada and Germany I'd have thought that Canada's fourth team would be better than Germany. Shocks can happen though. Manchester City lost to a shit team on Monday.

Names like Mauer and Wolf do help!

In 2006 Canada lost in the quarters from Russia (0-2), who became 4th these Games.
In their group Canada won from:
Italy
Germany(!)
Czech Republic (who won the bronze)

and lost from:
Switzerland (also lost in the quarters from Sweden who became Olympic Champions)
Finland (who won silver)

631,295 - 0 = not good enough for final-material
22,646 - 0 = good enough for final-material

This is a little bit unfair though, because the Germans are all players in the DEL. That's the German equivalent of the NHL, and one of the biggest hockey leagues outside North America. They're not exactly amateurs. Many of the Canadian players are old ex-NHL or players in small, local leagues.

Canada, the team that is second in the medal count?
Truly, a terrible two weeks for us.

We may have lost the women’s hockey streak (helluva game, despite the ending) but we’re building another one in women’s ski cross. Three Olympics for the sport, three golds for Canada, by three different women.
Also have silvers in backtoback games.
Yeah, but being bested in curling? The sport of kings? :D

It isn't. But more impressive than Italy in rugby. Germany is often right behind the 6 strongest nations.
Italy's rugby team is currently way behind all the strongest nations (ranked 14th!). Not that they've ever beaten, or come close to beating, NZ anyway. But perhaps at the next World Cup...

I'll make a count. The first 5 I check play here:

The Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) (Russian: Континентальная хоккейная лига (КХЛ), Kontinental'naya hokkeynaya liga) is an international professional ice hockey league founded in 2008. It comprises 27 member clubs based in Belarus, China, Finland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Russia, and Slovakia and it is planned to expand to more countries. It is widely considered to be the premier professional ice hockey league in Europe and Asia, and second in the world behind the NHL

Last edited:
I'll make a count. The first 5 I check play here:

The Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) (Russian: Континентальная хоккейная лига (КХЛ), Kontinental'naya hokkeynaya liga) is an international professional ice hockey league founded in 2008. It comprises 27 member clubs based in Belarus, China, Finland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Russia, and Slovakia and it is planned to expand to more countries. It is widely considered to be the premier professional ice hockey league in Europe and Asia, and second in the world behind the NHL

BRB.

Don't waste your time, I only wanted to point out that the German players are not really below NHL level. I'm not really interested in taking this argument to these lengths. If I'm wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Don't waste your time, I only wanted to point out that the German players are not really below NHL level. I'm not really interested in taking this argument to these lengths. If I'm wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Once Foro's popped, he can't stop.

KHL: 12
Swedish Hockey League: 3
American Hockey League: 3
National League (Switzerland): 6
Deutsche Eishockey Liga: 1

I'm not wasting time. I am interested in the matter and I'm showing that half the team plays in a better league than the German league. Not just for your sake, but to get a better context. Now we know where the Canadians are playing.

Last edited:
I'm more broken up over curling than I am hockey. If the men's tournament was a best on best game Canada would win again. Germany has lots of good homegrown talent and I hope this run leads to lots of young Germans looking at the ice rink instead of the football pitch. I've not been a fan of the selection process for Team Canada and this is what I expected to happen.

As for the women, it's fine. Best game in the neverending series yet, possibly.

Yeah. When my first child was born, I used my parental leave for one day in the week. When that was over, I didn't want to go back to working 5 again.
I changed it from 5 to 4 days. Less good financially, naturally. But a bit more "free" time is worth something as well.

Back