That Metal Show

Well I didn't see any threads started about That Metal Show, so I guess I'll start one... I guess not much needs to be said about TMS that hasn't been said already, it's a great show that I always look forward to watching.. Eddie, Jim, and Don are all hillarious and work well together, and they always have great special guests.. And of course my favorite part, "Stump the Trunk" :D haha, I love when Eddie gets mad when he gets a question wrong and tries to deny it and goes on a rant, haha, always cracks me up

I got lucky to meet the guys back in May, they did a live That Metal Show event at the Trocadero in Philadelphia(not a live taping of the show, just a stand-up comedy/Q&A session/etc) They are all very nice, and I got both my Eddie Trunk Hard Rock & Heavy Metal guide books signed by him

Aaand, last but not least, I love Jim Florentine's show on the Sirius-XM station "Ozzy's Boneyard", "Florentine's Metal Midgets", and Eddie's show on "Hair Nation", called "Trunk Nation"

That Metal Show FTW:cheers:

Love this show. I'm a bit behind on it but I try to tune in every Saturday for new episodes. The two comedians can be a bit annoying sometimes but Eddie Trunk is a great DJ/TV host and keeps the show interesting, plus there are some great interviews there. It's awesome to have a TV show dedicated to metal and I hope it stays on air for a long time.

The radio shows are really awesome too, much better music than what the Boneyard and Hair Nation usually plays. Unfortunately Trunk's show is never on when I'm in the car but I catch Florentine's quite often and while not as organized as Trunk, he plays some awesome cuts. Yesterday I caught an awesome doubleheader of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son followed by Moonchild! :shred: He also played Shock Wave by Black Sabbath, a song I totally forgot about, but loved it yesterday which made me want to revisit the Never Say Die album. Gotta give him credit for that.

Have you heard Trunk's new podcast? I listened to a few episodes this week and they were really entertaining.

He might have a great show but I think that Trunk acts as if he does not understand Maiden since 1999. Everytime when he sees them live he rants as if he's made a new discovery: "What on earth is Janick doing in this band?"
Buzz-Eddie-Trunk.jpg

WOOOTT?

Last edited:
Nah I haven't heard it.. and yes, Florentine's Metal Midgets really goes beyond Boneyard's normal format, not a lot of stuff I would consider "classic hard rock", but whatever.. Still beats that lame Liquid Metal channel with their annoying DJs and constant playing of run-of-the-mill metal-core bands

Everytime when he sees them live he rants as if he's made a new discovery: "What on earth is Janick doing in this band?"

He doesn't act as if he made a new discovery, he simply voices his opinion that he doesn't like Jan's on-stage behaviour. He is entitled to his opinion, no matter how much other people hate it.

Exactly. And the Janick issue doesn't even come up that much. He's talked about live Maiden (and Maiden in general) plenty of times without even mentioning Janick. Unfortunately the only time he ever gets mentioned on here, it's because he made a comment about Janick. And if the topic doesn't mention his views on Janick (like in this thread), somebody is bound to bring it up anyway. I'm not sure what you want from the guy, he doesn't like Janick and he doesn't have to.

If there's one thing I have to give Trunk credit for, it's that he stands by his opinions and won't censor himself to avoid upsetting an artist or their fanbase. Even with bands whom he is close friends with, such as Judas Priest or Rush, if the topic of something about the band comes up, he is not shy about (respectfully) saying so. Even if members of the band are present. He is not obligated to like everything about every band he talks about or keep quiet about his opinions on them.

The guy has been waving the flag for classic Metal in the US for over 20 years and he's really the only guy doing so. He's most certainly not an "unintelligent dickhead" and I think he deserves a lot of respect for what he does.

Nah I haven't heard it.. and yes, Florentine's Metal Midgets really goes beyond Boneyard's normal format, not a lot of stuff I would consider "classic hard rock", but whatever.. Still beats that lame Liquid Metal channel with their annoying DJs and constant playing of run-of-the-mill metal-core bands
Yea Liquid Metal is lame. It used to be awesome, I'm not sure what happened to it. A real shame because there are no other channels for modern Metal.

I like that he doesn't stick to the "classic hard rock" format. There's a lot of much welcomed variety there. I love classic rock and metal as much as the next guy, but it gets a little dull for me when that's all that gets played, especially when other DJs don't dig very deep with the bands they play. And my only other alternatives are Hair Metal and Metalcore! :p

He doesn't act as if he made a new discovery, he simply voices his opinion that he doesn't like Jan's on-stage behaviour. He is entitled to his opinion, no matter how much other people hate it.
As I. This is just part of criticizing his show, since his attitude is such an integrated part of it.

I find such comments of his dumb and unfair even. It shows a lack of knowledge. He doesn't know what Janick contributes to the band. That's not very professional if you host such a show. FOX news kind of opiniated bias is not what we had on Headbangers Ball or most other metal shows I've heard of.

And what's revolutionary or interesting about predictable opinions that are only focused on the classic past of a band? The "play classics" attitude is stuck on his forehead and not something I can identify myself with. He's preaching for a conservative church I'm glad I am not a member of.

Last edited:
And what's revolutionary or interesting about predictable opinions that are only focused on the classic past of a band? The "play classics" attitude is stuck on his forehead and not something I can identify myself with. He's preaching for a conservative church I'm glad I am not a member of.
Comments like these make it apparent that you've made your entire opinions about this guy based on one comment and haven't bothered to look deeper than that. Talk about a "conservative" attitude. In 2010 when Maiden toured the US playing mostly newer songs, he defended their set choices and advocated for them playing their new material. Lately he's been playing lots of material from Priest's new album and has had the band on several times since the release and even urged them to give the new album lots of attention on the new tour. He is huge on promoting what older artists are doing today and is constantly playing their music on top of the classics. Before I became very familiar with Metal news sites or forums, his TV/Radio shows turned me on to new music from musicians who I didn't realize were still active. Learn something about the guy before making uninformed accusations.

Edit: Keep in mind he does all this on an FM radio station as well. I can't think of any FM radio show that strays away from the classics as much or features such an emphasis on classic Metal.

Here's his podcast: http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast?showAllEpisodes=true
I'm not sure about international availability but it should be worldwide. If you scroll to the very bottom you'll see the interview with Judas Priest.

He does a ton of Rush related things, including a 3 hour Rush special a couple years ago with Mike Portnoy and a Lifeson interview:
Most of the music got cut out of this youtube video but they talk a bit about the different music they play and you'll find that it covers the entire history of Rush without focusing on a single era. Even the synth era gets decent amount of play despite the fact that neither Trunk or Portnoy are big fans of that era.

And you can find a lot of clips from his radio show on youtube. I remember the first couple of seasons of That Metal Show being on there at one point as well.

I like his radio interviews and podcasts more than That Metal Show (it is just real short and ends up being superficial) ... if you search Eddie Trunk interview on youtube ... there are a ton out there.

Some do not like him, but he is one of the few nationwide hosts that champions rock/hard rock/metal in the US and actually plays new music

The podcast with Steve Morse was really interesting ... Morse seems like a cool guy.

It shows a lack of knowledge. He doesn't know what Janick contributes to the band.

Wrong.

I love some of the things he has written with Maiden and I'm not for a minute saying he should be out of the band,

(From a thread you posted)

Trunk is completely aware of the role Jan has in the band. He knows what he contributes. All he ever said is that he dislikes Janick's prancing onstage. That's it. That's all there is. Nothing else. He just doesn't like the way Janick behaves onstage. He appreciates his role as a band member and songwriter, he just wishes Jan would prance less on stage. To project the idea of a conservative televangelist who indoctrinates his church opinions on people purely based on this one opinion of his is unfounded and unfair.

OK, this is perhaps indeed just one aspect of his metal shows/interviews/whatever. Most stuff I heard from him was mostly unending excessive positivity (and sliming!). So this may be the only one example and that might not do the guy justice. So I made too much of it in relation to his whole career.

I still would explain a bit more about how I've interpreted his attitude on Gers:

You're right, perhaps he never said much more than the stuff about the stage moves. I thought he did more, but I was unable to track it down. Lots of the content that was on his site is gone now. But I am not just looking at what he literally said. I am also reading between the lines. I sense rejection. The whole picture he'd been painting. The way he acted as the spokesman for many unhappy fans. It came across as a stigmatizing crusade.

If he would not like his songwriting, fine. That would be material for fair criticism. If Janick completely fucks up every solo. Fair enough...

But stage moves? I find that an unfair thing to criticize. Natural movements can't be changed. The only thing that's left to change the situation is wanting Janick to leave the band.

Since he has started about Janick in a negative manner for several times, and never interviews the guy himself, and since that negativity was always the core of his output when he talked about Janick (the proportions of "the negative" and "the positive" are very clear to me; and why does he blow these stage moves out of proportion if he really would find the songwriting at least as important?), I simply have trouble with believing him when he says he does not want Janick out. It's too contradictive.

Last edited:
I guess he means the clowning around on stage, the one leg propped up, the spinning around etc. Not everyone feels it has a place in a Maiden show, even if Maiden have never been entirely immune to a spot of silliness on stage.

Why is it unfair to criticise someone's performance on stage?

In general criticizing someone's performance does not have to be unfair indeed. But that's not how I brought it.

edit:

I mean, that's not how Trunk brought it, and that's not what I have adressed. Let's just agree to disagree here. I dislike his attitude on Janick, but I understand that it might not be representative for his entire career.

I just can't relate to the attitude of rejecting a person and his entire work because of one objectionable opinion, sorry.

As from today, I am trying to separate his (Trunk's) attitude on Janick from the rest of his (Trunk's) entire work, which hasn't been that easy since I never found that other work that interesting as talk about Maiden. Plus, I have hardly seen or heard his entire work, since lot of it is not available (anymore), at least not in Europe.

Trunk has also said he really does not care for Seventh Son (mainly the song, but to a lesser degree the album). It is one mans opinion. I like Gers, but would not mind if he toned it down on stage a bit ... but recognize that is a minimal part of his impact on the band, so I live with it.

Back