That Girl

A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'That Girl' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Yeah, if this wasn't a cover, i think it would deserve a place as a regular album track!

Great song indeed.

I know on the commentary it says that Steve didn't play on the track but I can definitely hear steve.

I'd like to know from what reference Maverick figured that out.
It also says that Dave didnt play, and i can hear his solo loud and clear in the middle of the fucking song!

Besides, from Smallwood :

This was co-written by another ASAP cohort Andy Barnett and originally done with 'The Entire Population of Hackney'. Nicko and Adrian recorded the drums and guitar first, the rest of the band adding their parts later.

...and there's no chance in hell that Steve would put a studio recording where he doesn't play on official Maiden release.
The only official recordings without Steve (AFAIK) are Walking On Glass and Listen With Nicko series. One is a guitar performance, other is one-man spoken stuff.

Zare said:
I'd like to know from what reference Maverick figured that out.
It also says that Dave didnt play, and i can hear his solo loud and clear in the middle of the fucking song!

Besides, from Smallwood :

...and there's no chance in hell that Steve would put a studio recording where he doesn't play on official Maiden release.
The only official recordings without Steve (AFAIK) are Walking On Glass and Listen With Nicko series. One is a guitar performance, other is one-man spoken stuff.
also S15, I think the only reason S15 and TFF arn't listed as 2 tracks is because Steve doesn't play on the forum.

Zare said:

Dave is obviously on it (probably only the solo) but why Steve isn't?

This info came from the band themselves.
If we want to believe Nicko, he said it in Listen to Nicko Part VIII:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?ur ... nk=singles
If I understand well, then this also counts for Juanita and probably Reach Out (because he speaks of three songs, and Reach Out was also one of the Entire Population songs).

Well go learn it!" He said, "well f'kin' why don't you record it, then I'll learn it.

Looks to me that Harris and Murray just quick-learned and did their tracks after Smith and McBrain laid down the "template".
There's both of them on that tracks, there's no doubt about it, they both have distinct instantly recognizable sound!

like Zare, i  want to know how maverick figured that they wern't on it.

I told you guys how he figured it.

Forostar said:
Dave is obviously on it (probably only the solo) but why Steve isn't?

This info came from the band themselves.
If we want to believe Nicko, he said it in Listen to Nicko Part VIII:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?ur ... nk=singles
If I understand well, then this also counts for Juanita and probably Reach Out (because he speaks of three songs, and Reach Out was also one of the Entire Population songs).

@Zare, I hear Dave's solo but how do you recognize other tracks being done by him?

I never said anything about Reach Out / Juanita  B)

Check out the FM version here (videoclip).

Sounds more commercial but I really like the instrumentation on this one.  :shred:

Me too! The guy who plays the solo on this live version is Andy Barnett (Urchin, A.S.a.P) who co-wrote the track but he wasn't a FM band member until 1990. I kept wondering about that fact. But it is so easy:

Of course, in first instance, the track was not written for FM: it was especially written for The Entire Population of Hackney project.
Both Colwell and Barnett helped write "That Girl" during this project and it was later used with FM.

+ (from SiaSL single wiki):
"That Girl" was originally written for The Entire Population of Hackney by the guitarist Andy Barnett, and was recorded by both Iron Maiden and FM around the same time. It was prominently featured on FM's 1986 debut album Indiscreet, which was released just three weeks prior to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time. The FM's version was rewritten by bassist Merv Goldsworthy and drummer Pete Jupp, resulting in the two versions being significantly different, sharing only harmony on the verses and some of the lyrics. However, Iron Maiden's version is still credited to both Goldsworthy and Jupp alongside Barnett, possibly due to copyright issues.

Here is the full Indiscreet album, from 1986. (Haven't heard it myself yet). Lead guitars are by Chris Overland (brother of lead singer Steve).

Very late reaction, but I chanced upon this, and I'm wondering if this is an OFFICIAL release of Walking on Glass. Could someone give me the info please ?

Thanks for the quick answer Foro. Reading Zare's statement, I wondered how I could have missed such a thing.

Me too! The guy who plays the solo on this live version is Andy Barnett (Urchin, A.S.a.P) who co-wrote the track but he wasn't a FM band member until 1990. I kept wondering about that fact. But it is so easy:

Of course, in first instance, the track was not written for FM: it was especially written for The Entire Population of Hackney project.

+ (from SiaSL single wiki):

Here is the full Indiscreet album, from 1986. (Haven't heard it myself yet). Lead guitars are by Chris Overland (brother of lead singer Steve).
I forgot to add at the time, @Forostar --do you think this little opening Buckethead riff sort of sounds similar?

Back