Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damnation Game

• Iconoclast

• Underworld

• Total voters
Paradise Lost is even worse than Iconoclast :p This song is like middle ground between them... I really don't like post-Odyssey Symphony X. Too much metal (and that's coming from me!), not enough neoclassical stuff which made SX awesome.

Paradise Lost is even worse than Iconoclast :p This song is like middle ground between them... I really don't like post-Odyssey Symphony X. Too much metal (and that's coming from me!), not enough neoclassical stuff which made SX awesome.

I really love Paradise Lost and I find Iconoclast too be very mediocre. Pre-PL stuff is still my favorite, but I'd say this song is a step in the right direction. It must just be the lack of neoclassical keyboards/strings/synths/choirs that you're missing, because Romeo is basically just shredding neoclassical shit throughout this entire new song.

Really good stuff. Sounds like Paradise Lost but going in a more classic SX direction. I like the sound they're going for. Totally agree with Knick.

i remember a lot of people putting Symphony X up there with Dream Theater. That's why i bought V. I liked it but never bought anything else. I heard a bit of the Paradise Lost album and was surprised because they sounded like a straightforward power metal band, very different from V. is this their new direction? And does anyone think they're comparable to Dream Theater? perhaps they squandered their potential to be a big thing like Dream Theater?

The new song is a bit disappointing. I think the last two Symphony X albums are great but I'm not keen on the new song. Perhaps they've followed the recent trajectory a bit too much.

i remember a lot of people putting Symphony X up there with Dream Theater. That's why i bought V. I liked it but never bought anything else. I heard a bit of the Paradise Lost album and was surprised because they sounded like a straightforward power metal band, very different from V. is this their new direction? And does anyone think they're comparable to Dream Theater? perhaps they squandered their potential to be a big thing like Dream Theater?

People who put them up there with Dream Theater put them up there because of the level of talent: the musicians in Symphony X are incredibly talented virtuosos. Musically, they don't really sound like Dream Theater and they've never really sounded like Dream Theater (other than being prog and metal). As for the new stuff, they have definitely taken a much more streamlined, heavy approach. The musicianship is still top notch, but the structures have gotten more safe and the vocals have gotten heavier and more simplistic.

Listen to V, The Odyssey, Divine Wings of Tragedy, and Twilight in Olympus. Their last two albums, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast have gotten much heavier and less prog (although of the two, PL sounds far more like classic Symphony X).

I don't think Dream Theater is anything like Symphony X. SX takes more from power metal and a bunch of the old composers where Dream Theater is closer to Yes or Iron Maiden. Plus DT tends to go more for "outside" influences like Muse, especially when Portnoy was in the band. I'd say the only time either band is similar is when they're channeling Rush, which while common for DT is pretty rare for SX.

Also, another big difference IMO is the role of guitar in the two bands. Even when they were a bit more balanced, the guitar was always up front in SX. The other instruments had their moments, but were far less prominent. Very riff driven music. DT is a little bit more balanced as far as showcasing different instruments, especially JR and his keyboards.

Yeah, Romeo has always very clearly been the musical leader in the band. It has become much more prominent on the last few albums, though.

New song! It's very melodic, but not very Symphony X-ish. Dare I say, they sound like a modern band for the first time ever (without overdoing the heaviness).

I like this song. It's different, it's more radio-friendly, but I like it.

Awful piece of garbage of a song. Can we just ignore the last 3 albums for the Survivor? :p

:facepalm:

"Symphony X, play more melodic music!"......"This melodic music sucks!"

And can we ignore Paradise Lost? Hell no. It's a great album.

I never said specifically that I want them to be more melodic. This sounds too modern, lots of neoclassicality is lost except for a bit in the solos, balance between keyboards and guitar is lost. Sounds incredibly forced and formulaic to me. The only positive aspect of this is that Russell toned down the tough guy vocals. Iryo though :p

I never said specifically that I want them to be more melodic. This sounds too modern, lots of neoclassicality is lost except for a bit in the solos, balance between keyboards and guitar is lost. Sounds incredibly forced and formulaic to me. The only positive aspect of this is that Russell toned down the tough guy vocals. Iryo though :p

It definitely has almost no neoclassicalism (new words!), I agree. It's definitely the most formulaic song they've done in awhile. But, I want to hear peaks and valleys in SX's sonic template, and this gives me that. Also, I can hear the piano. Despite leaning heavily towards the radio-friendly camp, this song makes me even more excited for the new album.

Overture - Meh generic intro with choirs
Nevermore - So crap. Generic as fuck riffs and a horrible chorus
Underworld - Beginning of the song has prominent keyboards, but then the rest is crap, especially the crappy unimaginative chorus
Without You - Already said what I had about this "song". Although it does have a better chorus than previous 2 songs :p
Kiss Of Fire - Incredibly generic. It's like every song has the same riff. Chorus is tolerable.
Charon - Same as Kiss Of Fire
To Hell & Back - Doesn't deserve to share the title with Anzio. Like Underworld, starts out with prominent keyboards, then they go back to background pretty fast. Tbf it was so long and boring I kinda didn't notice when the next song started.
In My Darkest Hour - Cringey chorus.
Run With The Devil - Such a boring uninspired chorus. Holy shit a KEYBOARD SOLO?! Is this the real life?
Swansong - Wow, you can hear the piano in this song?! Still it's a shit song.
Legend - This one might be the best song on the album, still not really good though.

Overall: shit album. This band needs some kind of a rehaul asap.

Back