Suggest some Euro Bands

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
I am looking for some Euro music that meets the following criteria.

Rock, Hard rock or metal

No, or very minimal, gravelly voices, ie singers who actually sing.

General good melody ... My tastes run pretty much from older rock Beatles, Stones, Doors, Deep Purple, 70s guitar based rock, some 80s rock/hair metal, Metallica/Slayer would be on the heavy end, and obviously Maiden

Most importantly, they sing in their native (non English) language

Bonus if they have releases on Vinyl

I am having a hard time finding much that I like.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I did not see one like this.

That they have to sing in their native language is the tricky part, not many rock or metal bands from Europe does that anymore!

Yeah, that is the problem I am seeing. I picked up some records when I was in Germany last year, die ärzte was the only band I liked (and they are a bit to pop music for my taste).

I was in a record store in Hungary and they were playing a local rock band that sounded pretty good, but a language barrier prevented me for getting much info on them

It was more widespread and popular to sing in your own language back in the 60s and 70s I think. Progressive rock has a big tradition for this and I could find you lots of band there but...more recent metal or rock, hmm! They are a lot more obscure!

Its more common that pop music can be sung in the native language than rock...

I'm enjoy prog rock, not so much the experimental stuff like Einstürzende Neubauten (I bought Halber Mensch blindly and did not care for it), but prog rock bands more like Nektar, Jethro Tull, etc I enjoy.

Thanks, I will give these a listen .. In a bit of a musical rut at the moment, looking for something new (to me)

I really enjoyed SBB and Haikara, SBB has a ton of stuff on Spotify. I'll move onto the Italians tomorrow. Thanks for posting these

No problem! :ok:

I remembered I also really love Anglagård from Sweden. They have a bit of a harder edge on some tracks (perhaps because they're a 90s band) but they also sometimes dwell into some very quiet folkish stuff.. Really nice.

If you are interested in more traditional folk rock (like bands that sing old traditional Scandinavian ballads) then Sweden has a lot of great bands. I love how the swedish language sounds when sung over traditional folk. If you are interested i can post some links.

Please do, the nice thing about foreign language bands are you get tied up in the music and the sounds and the compositions of the words rather than the meaning -- not that there is anything wrong with meaning, it is just a different way to hear music.

Thats right. Well it is basically old Scandinavian medieval ballads and folklore stories put to music, mostly. But yes, the song becomes an instrument more in itself...

Did you like Garmarna?

Like this, just to give you an idea what I mean

That is good, honestly probably nothing I would listen to on a consistent basis, but good music is good music.

What is interesting to me about non English music is that it is a totally different listening experience. Usually if I hear a new song, there is a division between listening to the music and figuring out what the song means -- what does this line mean, etc. With stuff like this, it is like listening to an instrumental with the vocalist just being another instrument and you can just absorb the music and get a general feeling or emotion without any specifics.

Estonian Folk Metal. The video is cool.

Estonian Black Metal, most of their songs are about Estonian military history (20th century). This song is mostly instrumental and I like how it goes from 2:33 on. Beautiful vocal harmonies.

Also, don't know if this is your style, certainly not rock or metal, but I will recommend this singer to anyone who is willing to listen. She is simply fantastic if you ask me. She is (or was, she sadly passed away) Canadian with Mexican and Jewish descent. On her albums she sings in French, Spanish and English. So lots of non-English stuff to dig into...

Anyway. There are only very few metal bands from Germany singing in German, and I know by experience that they're not quite what bearfan is thinking of. But there is a fairly large amount of German language rock bands (Deutschrock), most of which have their roots in punk and skinhead subcultures. Without giving my personal opinion of these bands, the two most popular ones are these:

The former are punk, the latter just normal rock, but with shady (and highly controversial) origins. Needless to say, you will find almost nobody here who will be a real fan of both bands at the same time. Both have massive fan bases, though.

Don't know if fitting to Bearfan's taste but there's these guys:

Do we have any Romanians on board?

Oops, "Singers who actually sing", K, that's subjective...but you may have to discard this recommendation :D

Last edited:
Back