Stratovarius

I'm doing a proper re-listen of classic Strato albums (I've even been toying with commenting on the discography here in this thread, but I usually lack the discipline to see such project to its end - last time I was discouraged from the Nightwish commentaries after a single album - though that still might continue, we'll see) before plunging into the post-Tolkki efforts again, including the new one and

- I still don't love the early albums - the most accomplished is probably Dreamspace and even that one is so dark and weird and morose and cold that while I get the appeal, I don't want to personally return all that often to it

- I still love 4th Dimension the most, I guess, with the second spot probably shared between Episode and Destiny

- I still don't "get" the love Visions get - there are tracks I love, but as a whole I always found the album rather lacking. It honestly might be because it begins with the one-two punch of the mid-tempo slog of Kiss of Judas and the absolutely unmemorable (for me) Black Diamond - I know I'm probably completely alone in that regard, but hey, it is what it is.

- I need to ask you lot, is it considered to be in bad taste to have 4000 Rainy Nights somewhere in your top 5-3-1-whatever? I know it's technically a power ballad and we're supposed to hold those in contempt, right? But I just honestly love this song more than ... well, more than a lot of songs I know, and I know a lot of songs.
As far as I'm concerned, I've got Visions of Europe and that's pretty much enough (if I ever come across a second-hand Destiny, I'll buy it though).

- I need to ask you lot, is it considered to be in bad taste to have 4000 Rainy Nights somewhere in your top 5-3-1-whatever? I know it's technically a power ballad and we're supposed to hold those in contempt, right? But I just honestly love this song more than ... well, more than a lot of songs I know, and I know a lot of songs.
4000 rainy nights is a beautiful, great song from Stratovarius at their peak in Tolkki era. It benefits from the powerful drum sounds and the high clean guitar sounds of the Destiny production. And the solo is very Gary Moore-ish I think. But I think it is not in their top 10 songs, they have so many great songs, ballads included. Looking forward to hear more from your reviews. My very first favorite band and still among my favorites, they have been in my life for all up and downs over the years

I've finally committed to a deeper dive into the Stratovarius discography, including everything from Fourth Dimension onwards.

Once I've been through them all a couple of times I'll attempt to curate a playlist of my favourites (knowing me it'll probably mainly be power ballads :p) but for now it is nice to have something (mostly) new to run to.

I've finally committed to a deeper dive into the Stratovarius discography, including everything from Fourth Dimension onwards.

Once I've been through them all a couple of times I'll attempt to curate a playlist of my favourites (knowing me it'll probably mainly be power ballads :p) but for now it is nice to have something (mostly) new to run to.
As long as you include "Forever" from Visions of Europe, it's fine. :)

I wasn't planning on going through the live releases, but Forever will almost certainly be included in some capacity!
This version, I think, is much better than the studio version as it is stripped to the essential, along with great audience participation (they are so into it that one can believe they are South American! ;) ):

"Will you revive from the chaos in my mind
Where we still are bound together?
Will you be there waiting by the gates of dawn
When I close my eyes forever?"

oh, sorry, wrong thread.

Some thoughts after a once over of each album. All very early and speculative with indications of which songs I've enjoyed to start with:

Fourth Dimension - This album was enjoyable enough to me but not much stood out on first listen except for possibly Nightfall. Hopefully I'll appreciate more on the second listen.

Episode - A bit similar to the previous album, with the obvious standout of Forever, which I'd heard before my deep dive. I enjoyed Season of Change quite a lot too.

Visions - I don't remember a ton from this, to be honest. I had obviously heard Black Diamond before, but whilst I enjoy it I don't think I fully appreciate it still. Another grower.

Destiny - Glad I did the deep dive just for this. I'd never heard any track from this album before but it's already looking like one of my favourites. Both of the longer songs are great - especially the title track - and 4000 Rainy Nights is without question in my top 5. Huge fan of Playing With Fire too.

Infinite - One of the albums I'd heard in its entirety before starting this. So many great shorter songs in this! Hunting High and Low was actually my Stratovarius nomination for the metal cup, as I listen to it a ton whilst running.

Elements Pt.1 - My initial impressions of this album are not as high as the two that precede it, but it's still enjoyable throughout and bookended by two fantastic tracks (Eagleheart and Elements).

Elements Pt.2 - Currently needs more time for me to fully appreciate. I Walk To My Own Song is an absolute banger though.

Stratovarius - This was a curveball! Likely to settle near the bottom but worth the price of admission for United.

Polaris - This was not an immediate winner for me either, but I have strong early impressions of King of Nothing and the Emancipation Suite.

Elysium - A step up from the preceding albums for me. Darkest Hours, Lifetime In A Moment and Move The Mountain all stood out, though the title track is likely to take longer.

Nemesis - This was my favourite album going into this, and the one I knew best. If The Story Is Over is a huge favourite - that key change! - as is Fantasy.

Eternal - I'd heard this album in full before, but felt I appreciated it more this time - particularly the (sort of) title track.

Survive - this album didn't stand out to me on release (I said as much earlier in the thread) but feels like it's aged well. Breakaway has really grown on me, and I think Voice of Thunder is a very solid longer song.

Back