Stratego

How good is Stratego on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Only "problem" I have with "Stratego" is this: it's an excellent second-song-on-the-album. First three days I've been listening to the album in full, but now "Senjutsu" is becoming something like a "Powerslave sandwich" - I've been listening to first two and last two songs on repeat. Luckily, there's a lot more variation going in the middle and I'm looking forward to digging into those too.
After 3 months from the release of the album, I can say pratically the same: I've been listening basically to the first three and the last two tracks. Eventually, I listen to LIALW and Darkest Hour too, but the five that I've mentioned before are definitely my favourite ones.

This has grown on me a bit more in the last few days. Initially the instrumentals behind the first verse threw me off, they sounded like they didn't belong in the song after the intro. I still think it feels like that to me, but that small problem I had didn't allow me to appreciate the rest and now I do. Everything else is amazing, really. Now I could say this is one of my favorites in the album.

The song is an instant classic.

I think it's a bit too early to say that, but overall, I think it's a great song. I absolutely love when Bruce goes "I HEAR YOU CALLING MY NAME..."

Overall, I think both shorter tracks on Senjutsu are definitely above average "rockers." They have a strong character and a vibe of their own and feel very integral, where as songs like The Alchemist, Wildest Dreams or even Speed of Light are kind of ok-good standard rockers that don't really have as strong of a immersive quality to them.

I greatly prefer to have just one or two shorter tracks on the album that are this quality and have this kind of strong characteristic on the album, rather than having a huge bunch of ok-good-but-mediocre ones just for the sake of mOaR rOckeRs leSs ac0us1c intros or whatever.

My god that guy is so bad.

I really don't care whether he doesn't like Senjutsu. I mean, it's quite a boomer album, I get it, the fastest song is mid tempo, I get it. Maiden has been traditionally associated with heavy and power metal (which is a mistake), and I don't really see what a power metal lover could find in modern Maiden. I have a IRL friend which is like this and if you don't like mid tempo chug you just don't. Reunion Maiden is not for you.

However,

to push out a negative album review, and then do a cover trying to "fix" whatever you think is broken, and then come out as those Maiden copycat bands that sound 0 like Maiden and frequently get posted as 'leaks' being mistaken for Maiden by fans equally as clueless as this guy. What an achievement. He lost everything there is in Stratego - the tonality changes, the groove that flows so constant and so well that tonality changes get emphasized by a single note, the drum track which is absolutely on point, the dynamics of the vocal delivery, the solo. Absolutely fucking everything.

And the icing, as it goes with these types that constantly whine about Maiden only using gallop (which is something I can agree on, they are stale in that department), is his lack of ability to actually reproduce a Maiden gallop, and lack of understanding that while Maiden gallop is not an ordinary gallop Stratego is not an ordinary Maiden gallop.

The songs are slow for a reason, to give space and room for details.

I don't want to throw shit at him more than I have to but what he did sounds like a cover I would do 15-20 years ago, just blending everything into the only rhythmic and tonality 'style' I know, using speed and guitars all over the place to sand out any perception of the real lack of details. I've been working several hours weekly, minimum, on my skills during those two decades and I still don't find myself that good and not nearly competent to do a full Maiden cover where I 'fix them'. So extrapolate what I really think about this dude, his channel and his contributions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back Nicko did an interview in a Dutch drummer magazine. He was proud of his work but also expressed some worry over the difficulty in his Stratego drums. He may have gone a bit too far in adding bass drums in these tight patterns. Reason: doing this live. Surely the most difficult stuff of the new album for him.

My god that guy is so bad.

I really don't care whether he doesn't like Senjutsu. I mean, it's quite a boomer album, I get it, the fastest song is mid tempo, I get it. Maiden has been traditionally associated with heavy and power metal (which is a mistake), and I don't really see what a power metal lover could find in modern Maiden. I have a IRL friend which is like this and if you don't like mid tempo chug you just don't. Reunion Maiden is not for you.

However,

to push out a negative album review, and then do a cover trying to "fix" whatever you think is broken, and then come out as those Maiden copycat bands that sound 0 like Maiden and frequently get posted as 'leaks' being mistaken for Maiden by fans equally as clueless as this guy. What an achievement. He lost everything there is in Stratego - the tonality changes, the groove that flows so constant and so well that tonality changes get emphasized by a single note, the drum track which is absolutely on point, the dynamics of the vocal delivery, the solo. Absolutely fucking everything.

And the icing, as it goes with these types that constantly whine about Maiden only using gallop (which is something I can agree on, they are stale in that department), is his lack of ability to actually reproduce a Maiden gallop, and lack of understanding that while Maiden gallop is not an ordinary gallop Stratego is not an ordinary Maiden gallop.

The songs are slow for a reason, to give space and room for details.

I don't want to throw shit at him more than I have to but what he did sounds like a cover I would do 15-20 years ago, just blending everything into the only rhythmic and tonality 'style' I know, using speed and guitars all over the place to sand out any perception of the real lack of details. I've been working several hours weekly, minimum, on my skills during those two decades and I still don't find myself that good and not nearly competent to do a full Maiden cover where I 'fix them'. So extrapolate what I really think about this dude, his channel and his contributions.
I don't really have anything to say about your criticisms of this cover in particular - I am not a musician so would not attempt to weigh in on the technical aspects - but in principle I agree, at least morally.

With that said, the bolded part surprises me, as I consider Stratego's soaring, synth heavy chorus perhaps the most "power metal" Maiden have ever gone. I think the tempo is less important than the vocal style and instrumentation used, which may be a consequence of listening to more power metal ballads than is probably healthy...

I'm sorry for using stereotypes and after all I might be incorrect it's just an impression that I have. Stratego is certainly on the more melodic/dramatic side. But from what I gathered from reviews throughout the years and my friends IRL, Maiden is expected to be fast, relatively straightforward, punchy guitars, accent on guitar harmonies and soaring vocals in high register. I decipher this as bog standard power metal ingredients. Then again I operate over my own sample set so your mileage may vary :)

The consistent tempo of "Senjutsu", never really breaking into anything bigger, makes its place as an opener a stroke of genius on Maiden's part. Because when "Stratego" kicks in with that double-kick, the effect is enormous. I love how well the tracklist is set up. Every song complements the ones before and after them.

Our riff is heavy, slick, dark, and more energetic than the previous song. You can start jumping now.

I'm not one to complain about how Maiden play the vocal line on guitar while Bruce sings it, generally. Usually in the past it's worked really well, and there are a lot of moments on this album where I can say that again. On this track though, I could've done without it. It's a small thing though. My main focus is on Bruce. In the verses he's a lot more subdued than usual. Effortlessly set to neutral - that is, until he turns on the gas as he explodes in the pre-chorus, giving it all he's got. "For I have not a mortal soul!" Oh Jesus. He's a metal god, it's canon.

Then the glorious chorus comes in with keyboard sparkling all around, one of those "fuck I got chills" moments on the album. "Ocean is black, the devil's track..." Wow. We also get a post-chorus which is nice to see, and it only appears one time which I think was a good call. I will say that this song has one of my least favorite Bruce performances on the album, there's a few times where I think a second take would have been better (or a more masterful unity of the double-tracked vocals like on "Come to claim my life again.")

But again, I'm mostly picking at straws here. We have a second verse and pre-chorus, a Janick solo - typical Janick but very fun - a stomping breakdown, a second run of the chorus, and a return to the riff from the beginning, this time with keys added into the mix. This song doesn't spend much time with us, it's in and out in the span of less than five minutes, but it's such a great piece to keep the album flowing. So much energy. Great riff, great lyrics (mystical but fantastic), and Nicko gives a terrific performance as well. Just a fun rocker through and through. 9/10

Wow, really? I think Bruce's best performances on the album are in this song, ''Hell On Earth'' and ''Darkest Hour''.
Yeah, there’s little moments throughout that I’d have gotten him to do again if I was Kevin or Steve. In fairness though, there are also some great moments in this song, like “For I have not a mortal soul!”, “There’s no surprise!”, and the final “My sorrow whispers time again!” He’s definitely pushing himself and succeeding for the majority of the song, it’s just little things here and there that could’ve used a second take, yknow?

A quick drum beat and we get a nice familiar gallop with an ominous guitar lead. A pretty catchy verse is unfortunately backed up by a trite doubling of the vocal melody on the guitar. A great, punchy pre-chorus leads into an equally great melodic chorus 1 and soaring chorus 2.

Another run through the verse and pre-chorus breaks into a strong solo and a rhythmic interlude before returning to chorus 1 and closing things out with another brief interlude and rhythmic breakdown.

The vocals sound a little muffled in parts, but this is otherwise a pretty great short rocker. 8/10.

My favourite track on this album just because it's the only one that sounds not from the other side. Also, there is a question why is the vocals so faded on most songs. Even regarding Bruce's illness it's all ok on Stratego and maybe on Hell on Earth but not on the whole album.

How come they'd write such a massive chorus to this song which feels far more typical modern Maiden short rocker otherwise. Seriously. That chorus is fucking A-grade material and the most absurd thing is that it's just one of many on the album, many of them written or co-written by Steve. It's definitely a welcome change from the SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE repetition we tended to get in the reunion era albums before TBOS.

Specifically, I like the chorus but the post-chorus they only do once (!) in the first go-around is what I really love. What a good piece of music and lyrics. But it wouldn't work without the absolutely wonderful build-up in the chorus either.

How come they'd write such a massive chorus to this song which feels far more typical modern Maiden short rocker otherwise. Seriously. That chorus is fucking A-grade material and the most absurd thing is that it's just one of many on the album, many of them written or co-written by Steve. It's definitely a welcome change from the SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE, SONG TITLE repetition we tended to get in the reunion era albums before TBOS.

Specifically, I like the chorus but the post-chorus they only do once (!) in the first go-around is what I really love. What a good piece of music and lyrics. But it wouldn't work without the absolutely wonderful build-up in the chorus either.

Maiden are cowards. They should have stuck with their formula and given us a ‘Stratego!!! Stratego!!! Stratttttteeeeegooooo!!!!!’

I've always thought that e.g BNW would have been so much better with slightly varying chorus lines

A Brave new world
In a brave new world
We have lost our soul
In this brave new world......and so on

Or something more philosophical, e.g.
From a brave new world
To a brave new world
It's a brave new world
Same old brave new world

?

Or something more philosophical, e.g.
From a brave new world
To a brave new world
It's a brave new world
Same old brave new world

?
Yes, this is even better, ANYTHING BUT THE ORIGINAL!!!! :facepalm:

In your case they could also add some directions/schematic to this brave new world

Back