Strangest setlist inclusions? (SPOILER FREE)

For me it was playing Rime on the 86/87 tour. It seemed odd to recycle the "showstopper epic" from the previous tour as Maiden usually reserves that spot for the current album epic (would have been ATG) It also took up quite a bit of room in the setlist.

For album tours, I like the whole album (or as much of the album as possible) setlist with a classics encore format.

I know they caught flak for doing that on the AMOLAD tour but they do enough classics tours to make up for it. Tbe TBOS and TFF tours had solid amounts of new material but they could’ve gone all in (save maybe EotC for logistical and time reasons).

Even if they did limited dates for full album sets (and announced them early enough) and mixed it up on the broader tour, I’d travel to catch a show at one of the limited full album set cities (say NY, Chicago or LA) as well as seeing a mixed setlist show in a place like Tacoma, Vancouver or Vegas.

Lord of the Flies on the DOD was the most unexpected, then probably Still Life on SSOASS or Transylvania particularly, but also Charlotte and Prowler on A Real Live Tour but that was due to needing tracks for ARDO.

Lord of the Flies on the DOD was the most unexpected, then probably Still Life on SSOASS or Transylvania particularly, but also Charlotte and Prowler on A Real Live Tour but that was due to needing tracks for ARDO.

I guess you mean Remember Tomorrow! I am glad Charlotte the Harlot has not been played live since 1981.

Since reunion?

99 tour was voted by fans, so no strange ones there.
-SOTC on BNW tour. I think noone expected that it will be played on an album tour.
-Another Life, Charlotte The Harlot on Early Days
-Moonchild, CIPWM, FOTD on SBIT
-ATSS, Aces High on ME
-Wrathchild, every time it replaced a far superior song

For me it was playing Rime on the 86/87 tour. It seemed odd to recycle the "showstopper epic" from the previous tour as Maiden usually reserves that spot for the current album epic (would have been ATG). It also took up quite a bit of room in the setlist.

I think this one takes the top spot as the strangest setlist inclusion.

Every Reunion-Era Song in the 2010 Setlist.

And this one takes top spot as most strangest setlist or tour legs ever. Not that I complain, I loved it and same as @Lego Wickerman/GotN made me feel like Rock in Rio all over again. Paschendale or Brighter would've also but nice, but fu** it... I mean, it was officially called TFF tour and they started it before the album came and played only one song from it.

I think this one takes the top spot as the strangest setlist inclusion.

And this one takes top spot as most strangest setlist or tour legs ever. Not that I complain, I loved it and same as @Lego Wickerman/GotN made me feel like Rock in Rio all over again. Paschendale or Brighter would've also but nice, but fu** it... I mean, it was officially called TFF tour and they started it before the album came and played only one song from it.

Yup. It should be called Dance Of A Brave New War Tour 2010 IMO.

playing the same song two tours in a row. what kind of blasphemy is that?

anyways,

Powerslave in 2016 tour was a magnificent surprise (unexpected but excellent)
Children of the Damned in 2016 was brilliant (unexpected but excellent)
Changing from Dance of Death to Paschendale one show after the one I attended on TFF tour.... ugh bastards lol

Still Life dropped from 1983 tour when they entered USA and then in 1988 not adding it to the set until after leaving the states... wtf o_O

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner being played once was likely due to it being in the wrong part of the set. Not an opening song by any means. They put Sea of Madness in it's place afterwards :(

Swapping Infinite Dreams for Afraid to Shoot Strangers on a SEVENTH SON based tour.... :facepalm:

Wrathchild, Final Frontier tour part 1 (2010) :censored:

(Yes, I'm still angry at them for dropping BTATS for Wrathchild after the first few shows. Why, Maiden? WHY?)

Regarding ATSS on the 2013-14 tour - it was definitely surprising and it would've been more fitting to include an extra SIT song or Infinite Dreams, but I happen to think ATSS is a great song and I hadn't had it live yet, so I was OK with it.

Every Reunion-Era Song in the 2010 Setlist. I am a huge reunion-era fan, especially AMOLAD and BNW, so this whole set was a massive positive surprise for me. Sadly, by the time I saw them BTATS and Paschendale had been dropped, which was a major bummer, but the fact that they dedicated almost a whole set to nothing but modern material and then toured the USA with it was an amazingly ballsy move. Plus, the Wicker Man/Ghost of the Navigator opening made me feel like I was at Rock In Rio, which happens to also be my favorite live album of all time.

I would love to have a DVD from this amazing setlist as much as a video for SIT tour. It was like a ''best of'' from the reunion era - well 'till AMOLAD album, but it was a very good rotating setlist from classics (SBIT tour) to reunion era classics. There should have been 2 DVDs form TFF 2010/2011 tour - the first with the reunion setlist + En Vivo! - very nice combination. Or they could have also released a special edition big box that contains the two DVDs. Aaaaah, dreams, dreams......

For me it was playing Rime on the 86/87 tour. It seemed odd to recycle the "showstopper epic" from the previous tour as Maiden usually reserves that spot for the current album epic (would have been ATG). It also took up quite a bit of room in the setlist.

I was only a kid during Somewhere on Tour in 1987 and it was my first ever concert...a story I still use to impress people at parties whenever the "what was your first concert" conversation comes up. Rime was my favourite song at the time and to hear it live was a dream. As it also was my highlight in 2008. But on reflection it was a strange inclusion as the centrepiece of the '87 concert...they even created a back drop for the song which I don't recall they'd done on the World Slavery tour.

Including only 5 songs from each A Matter of Life and Death and Number of the Beast in the A Matter of the Beast setlist was a bit weird. After reading the band's hype about NOTB's 25th anniversary and AMOLAD having been recently played in its entirety and therefore well rehearsed I was anticipating another song from each including a deep cut from NOTB. And strangest instrument choice, albeit cool, might be Adrian's double necked guitar during Children of the Damned on the same tour. Not too sure why it was necessary but it may have been the highlight of the show.

I was only a kid during Somewhere on Tour in 1987 and it was my first ever concert...a story I still use to impress people at parties whenever the "what was your first concert" conversation comes up. Rime was my favourite song at the time and to hear it live was a dream. As it also was my highlight in 2008. But on reflection it was a strange inclusion as the centrepiece of the '87 concert...they even created a back drop for the song which I don't recall they'd done on the World Slavery tour.

Including only 5 songs from each A Matter of Life and Death and Number of the Beast in the A Matter of the Beast setlist was a bit weird. After reading the band's hype about NOTB's 25th anniversary and AMOLAD having been recently played in its entirety and therefore well rehearsed I was anticipating another song from each including a deep cut from NOTB. And strangest instrument choice, albeit cool, might be Adrian's double necked guitar during Children of the Damned on the same tour. Not too sure why it was necessary but it may have been the highlight of the show.
12 string on the clean parts. It really enhances the sound. Since reunion, he always used a 12 string on the verses. Either an acoustic or the top neck of that Jackson.

Back