Stranger in a Strange Land

How good is Stranger in a Strange Land on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Stranger in a Strange Land

From the beginning of the drum and bass intro until the end of the outtro fadeout this song delivers in spades. The pre-chorous bridge, the main riff followed by the melodic change up riff and Adrians solo are all immortal components of this incredible tale of ice and snow.

Full marks, 10. 

I pretty much agree with what LooseCannon said, so I'm also giving it a 9/10.

A well structured song indeed. To be honest I like the singing a bit less. Especially I like the chorus not that much. Only Heaven Can Wait's chorus I enjoy less.

The solo still takes it up to a thick 8,5, thus a 9 in my book.

I love the structure of this song, the fact that it has the bridge which it doesn't even use the first time around, it sort of comes out of nowhere after the second set of verses, in a good way. And then of course the solo which is magnificent, and really makes the song for me. For some reason I can't give it above an 8 because I'm not sure the main chorus is to the same standard as the rest of the song... I know it's almost sacrilege  :S I don't know, on some playthroughs I really like the chorus and think it just 'works', but on other playthroughs not so much... I guess our relationship is tempestuous. Still a great song though.

I give it a 9 for all of the same reasons listed. Especially the solo being pure brilliance. I can't think of a better 2nd song for "side 2" of the album and the only reason it gets a "9" is because it follows one of the best "10" songs Maiden has ever done in my opinion.

I pretty much agree with what Vortex said.

Surely this track is long overdue a live airing !?!?

Possibly the next stage of the History tours...

Come on Maiden - make it happen.

(And Alexander the Great while you're at it)

bluehelmet said:
I pretty much agree with what Vortex said.

Surely this track is long overdue a live airing !?!?

Possibly the next stage of the History tours...

Come on Maiden - make it happen.

(And Alexander the Great while you're at it)

Maiden need to dedicate a tour leg entirely to unplayed classics

______no5 said:
There's a 9 here!!
I've already explained my love for this song and one of Maiden's longest one man solo, in IMC topic. Brilliant!

I'd like to change my vote to 10/10. I'll count it like a 10 to my individual rating, ok?

Another "grower" of a song for me. I initially didn't like this song all that much but now? It's one of my top 5 most played songs in the past 6 months. Incredible solo, with a pre-chorus bridge that just comes out of nowhere. You expect it to go to the chorus the 2nd time, but the pre-chorus just jumps right in. 10/10.

______no5 said:
I'd like to change my vote to 10/10. I'll count it like a 10 to my individual rating, ok?

Well, there are more people who want to change their vote (including me), but I think it's better to wait when that's technically possible (in the poll). Then I'll change it, and all will be in sync.

Hope you don't mind.

As soon as LC makes it possible to change ratings, people can let it know what they'll change.

9 out of 10... Certainly one of the highlights of the album, and a personal favorite for a long time. Another of Adrian's masterpieces, highlighted by his guitar work, and Bruce's soaring vocal...

This song is certainly different Maiden and i presume it shocked fans after Powerslave material. It's full of melancholy, the synths do magic here, the bridge before the second chorus is a nice surprise, and Adrian's solo is reminescent of David Gilmour's finest guitar work. And on par with it, if i may.

Thanks mate, I added you to the lists (also the "1980-1990 - album rankings per person" topic).

This song is just awesome. Every band member is at his best. The only thing that I don't like is the fadeout (I hate fadeouts). 9/10.

This song has a great riff by H, that adds to the mood.  The thing is I get tired of the repetitiveness by the end. 8

One of H's finest moments. The guitar solo is epic and the feeling in Bruce's singing is very good. 9/10

Another ten from this album. I first heard this song in my friend's MP3 player. I really liked it, but my friend didn't know the song's name. I thought that it was probably BNW thanks to the lyrics so I bought that album, but nope. But later I bought SIT and there I found it! SIASL! Awesome song! I really like the riff.

Fantastic bass intro, a perfect main riff and one of the best solos of Maiden. One of my favorite tunes. 10/10.

Back