Stop soloing over Adrian!

Bumping ancient threads. You quoted a 14 year old post.

Well, because I'm rather new to this site I wasn't around when these threads were made. I really like to look through the forum and read these threads, reply to them if they are interesting and write something to contribute. I'm not doing it for any other reason than that.

Well, because I'm rather new to this site I wasn't around when these threads were made. I really like to look through the forum and read these threads, reply to them if they are interesting and write something to contribute. I'm not doing it for any other reason than that.
It's all good. I double-checked the rules and as long as you add something of substance it's OK. I'd rather this than see a thousand threads opened like "What is your fav Miaden member is (NO BALZE LOLZ)"

It's all good. I double-checked the rules and as long as you add something of substance it's OK. I'd rather this than see a thousand threads opened like "What is your fav Miaden member is (NO BALZE LOLZ)"

Yeah because if it wasn't of any substance I wouldn't write it.

Maybe this is some sort of a record for world wide web forum topic necromancy. You never know.

Oddly enough, the one Adrian solo I don't mind Janick taking is Hallowed Be Thy Name. I was never crazy about Adrian's solo and it's more suited to Janick's style anyway. Other choices were more questionable.

Revelations is one counter-argument. Original Smith solo is great, Gers rendition isn't.

Yep that one drives me nuts. Revelations is one of my all time favorite Smith solos

I just don't think Adrian brought the goods on that album in general. His solos on Killers and Piece of Mind are both far superior and more memorable.

The thing with Janick is that most of his own thought-out-ahead out solos aren't that bad....and he has written truly interesting/tasteful solos (e.g. Blood Brothers) , but his live Adrian solos are just improvised speedy slop. They all sound the same and usually do absolutely nothing for the song (and at worst, detract from the song). Revelations is one of the biggest disappointments for me. I wish he would work out his own renditions that pay homage to the original in some way, or at least not cycle through his usual bag of tricks.

Maiden solos on the golden era records were usually 'little songs within the song' that were so interesting to listen to...If Janick was a vocalist, it would be as if he changed the brilliant storytelling of Infinite Dreams into Korn style incoherent scat warbling.

Janick sounds good when he solos on songs he had part of creating in the studio. He's more of a classic rock player rather than a heavy metal player, which is why it doesn't always work on the classic stuff. But great songwriter that's a vital part of the band today.

Isnt Jan is the one that does the last solo on Blood Brothers? That's an awesome solo...shows his style with some restraint. One of his best.

I'm sure I'm the billionth person to say this, but I prefer Adrian's solo on HBTN.

I do prefer it too, however it's not a strong solo like Revelations or Moonchild. You can hear yourself that Smith changed it tour after tour in the 80s, so he obviously wasn't satisfied with it. Its not just little details he changes in his solos over the years, complete sections were different between Powerslave tour and SiT tour, for example.

Adrian is either "in" on an album, or he is "out". The fact that The Number of the Beast is a mega-album in metal history despite one of the lead guitarists not putting in his best effort is a testament to the talents of Steve Harris and the impact of that guy from Samson.

Adrian is also not "in" on at least one other album, being The Final Frontier.

Adrian is either "in" on an album, or he is "out". The fact that The Number of the Beast is a mega-album in metal history despite one of the lead guitarists not putting in his best effort is a testament to the talents of Steve Harris and the impact of that guy from Samson.
:ok:

Adrian is also not "in" on at least one other album, being The Final Frontier.
:bigsurprise: Adrian is the MVP of that album. It has some of his most creative work since SIT. His songwriting is solid, every solo is among his best, and I love his guitar tone. I'd say the other album that he's not "in" on is TBOS. He's got some good moments but is overall overshadowed by Janick.

I'd say the other album that he's not "in" on is TBOS. He's got some good moments but is overall overshadowed by Janick.

Adrian is great on TBoS, in my opinion. His solo on Tears of a Clown is one of his best ever, as is his epic 2nd solo on TRatB. Plus TGU (which I believe he wrote with Steve) is a great song.

His solo on TRATB is definitely a highlight. Tears is also a good moment, as is Speed Of Light (including the solo). I guess it's more that he doesn't reach the same heights as on TFF for me. It's the one thing TBOS is missing. It's superior to TFF in pretty much every other way.

I think Adrian is trying his hardest to be "in" on the last couple albums, but he's still fatigued from literally pulling every single trick and talent out of the bag on AMOLAD.

Honestly, same could be said for Davey, who hasn't turned in much worthwhile (song or solo) since Breeg.

Back