Steve Harris

Probably not huge amounts, but I believe the band members get an ok-share..? I mean, Steve alone should make the attend rates at those shows quite high and while not terribly expensive, it's not like the ticket prices have to be super low either, again thanks to Steve. No way they'll get too rich with British Lion gigs, but it's probably not strictly hand to mouth business either.

Then again, I know nothing about these things, just pondering..! :D

Some of the venues they are playing are very small. The Craufurd Arms in Milton Keynes has a capacity of 250!

I thought of this: an essential part of a BL show seems the possibility of meeting Steve. Since that is not happening, the band might feel too restricted.

So this may have nothing to do with band members being vaccinated or not. It's more about how a band wants to experience the entourage of a concert (tour).

I thought of this: an essential part of a BL show seems the possibility of meeting Steve. Since that is not happening, the band might feel too restricted.

So this may have nothing to do with band members being vaccinated or not. It's more about how a band wants to experience the entourage of a concert (tour).

What do you mean? There are currently no restrictions in England preventing musicians holding imaginary umbrellas (or not) from meeting their fans before or after a gig.

Wasn't something mentioned that The Darkness were imposing restrictions above and beyond government restrictions?

If those restrictions involved not letting British Lion meet their fans, don’t you think this would have been mentioned by the latter?

I bet the restrictions from The Darkness would be similar to what I experienced at a Manic Street Preachers gig earlier this month (proof of vaccination or negative test) plus possibly mask wearing in the areas shared by both bands.

It would be nice if this was the reason, but it really doesn’t seem likely. After reading the statement from British Lion and then the statement from The Darkness it seems obvious to me what the reason is.

Is that so? Or do you tend to read it that way?
Maybe it's just me, but The Darkness seem to hint strongly that British Lion are taking covid, or covid restrictions, very lightly.

"British Lion won’t be able to accompany us on tour this year, as they don’t feel able to join in with the Covid management policies being put in place by responsible venues and promoters. But in much more exciting news, those dynamic young guns Massive Wagons have jumped in to save the day! They love to rock and they love to be Covid-safe, so welcome on board to you, you Massive MASSIVE WAGONS!"

There is an underlying friction and soft jabs read from both statements. And it shouldn't have gotten there in the first place. With better management it would have ended before it even starts; without reaching to the media and us, the fans.

British Lion are taking covid, or covid restrictions, very lightly.

...or The Darkness, venues and promoters are riding high horses around.

We can only presume that for whatever reason, British Lion can't or won't comply with arbitrary limits set by the headliner and the venue. + I've yet to see the list of conditions imposed, there's only speculation here about it, based on prior experience. Nobody saw what Darkness/venue/promoter put in front of BL to sign.

There's a complete world of normal in between the lunacy of anti vax and doorknob washers.

If those restrictions involved not letting British Lion meet their fans, don’t you think this would have been mentioned by the latter?

I bet the restrictions from The Darkness would be similar to what I experienced at a Manic Street Preachers gig earlier this month (proof of vaccination or negative test) plus possibly mask wearing in the areas shared by both bands.
I'm not in England so I have no idea. Do the places for the BL tour have these restrictions? Or some of them?

It is also possible that The Darkness wanted to maintain some sort of 'touring bubble' which would limit what the bands and crew members were allowed to do during the downtime outside of gigs and that Steve/BL were not happy with this. I have heard that some bands are taking this approach to try to avoid tours being curtailed, as even a single covid case within the camp can derail the whole thing.

It is also possible that The Darkness wanted to maintain some sort of 'touring bubble' which would limit what the bands and crew members were allowed to do during the downtime outside of gigs and that Steve/BL were not happy with this. I have heard that some bands are taking this approach to try to avoid tours being curtailed, as even a single covid case within the camp can derail the whole thing.

Could be. However, The Darkness are headlining Planet Rockstock in November (3-day festival) and I find difficult to believe that an isolated touring bubble can be maintained in that setting.

Then the objection is to venues going above government restrictions requiring proof of vaccination or negative tests. Still doesn't prove Steve and/or other BL band members are unvaccinated.

I was supposed to see Priest at a venue that had these restrictions. Tickets have not sold well at all and I was worried if the show might be cancelled. Over here these restrictions have been a point of contention. Then Richie's heart ruptured and that was that.

I was at a convention over a holiday weekend in September. A month before they decided to have the proof of vaxx and negative test along with the previously mandated wearing masks at all times. The convention had half the attendance than normal, around 40k.

That same weekend a couple blocks away from my convention there was a big college American football game. 70k attendance, no restrictions, no masks.

Back