Steve Harris

Er, aside from speculation based on Steve's connection to Tony Newton and an acknowledgement of N. Djokovic in the Senjutsu booklet, what exactly is the evidence that Steve is a rabid anti-vaxxer? That BL were happy to comply with gov guidelines does not suggest strident anti-vax ideology. Perhaps Justin & Co didn't like that Steve planned to do his usual and meet the fans as they queued outside venues? Who knows?

British Lion is now going to play in a small venue in my city in July 2022. The last time I went there, you had to prove you were either vaccinated, recovered or tested (PCR). I wouldn't rule out that being changed to vaccinated or recovered in the coming months though.
Steve's acknowledgement of Novak Đoković in the booklet probably only relates to tennis. I personally would not want to be friends with Novak Đoković because of the many stupid things he has said and done.

what exactly is the evidence that Steve is a rabid anti-vaxxer? That BL were happy to comply with gov guidelines does not suggest strident anti-vax ideology.
Quite. Steve has issues with someone going overboard with just-to-be-on-the-safe-side precautions does not automatically equate to Steve is anti-vaxx: there's a very big grey area between the two extremes. And to be quite frank, if Steve is anti-vaxx then Maiden are finished (at least for touring purposes), from a purely practical perspective. And he's smart enough to realise that.
nvm - the rules are only for backstage I though they were for the gigs
If this is the case then fair enough: anyone who wants to pay £75 on top of their gig ticket to watch a soundcheck and pose for a photo with the band (all the while mask-wearing and social distancing) then more fool them: it's their money after all (or at least it was until recently :lol:). But if that's all it is then I don't see why Steve would have issues with it - the contents of this VIP package does not seem in any way to involve the support band so why should he care what conditions they impose, if it's just for that?

Er, aside from speculation based on Steve's connection to Tony Newton and an acknowledgement of N. Djokovic in the Senjutsu booklet, what exactly is the evidence that Steve is a rabid anti-vaxxer? That BL were happy to comply with gov guidelines does not suggest strident anti-vax ideology. Perhaps Justin & Co didn't like that Steve planned to do his usual and meet the fans as they queued outside venues? Who knows?

Yep there isn't any evidence of Steve being anti-anything. There is evidence that someone in the British Lion camp must be unvaccinated as the sticking point is that they would have to be vaccinated to play the gig. That could be Steve, that could be Tony Newton if he is working for BL on this tour, that could be anyone in the band or entourage, we don't know anything definite from the evidence presented.

I don't think it's a case that BL turned down the tour on a point of principle. I think they turned it down because they can't comply with those guidelines.

Let's not forget that Tom Morello is friends with Ted Nugent. And Tom is anything but a rabid MAGA whackadoo.

Steve being mates with Tony Newton doesn't necessarily mean he agrees with his politics. And since we'll probably never know the real reason they left the tour (until Justin Hawkins writes an autobiography that is) all we have left is empty speculation.

Novak Đoković because of the many stupid things he has said and done.

Funny thing, when I was raised, there was this anti-celebrity dogma around sportspeople and other high achievers in my town. You could literally see olympic medalists, NBA ring bearers, ATP winners, people of the highest caliber in their field, just walking around doing what other people do. Other people didn't bother them, as other people didn't want to be bothered by the things their famous neighbors do. In the end those big names didn't feel like spilling their beans all around, not even in context of their own sport, let alone medicine, science or politics.

If I want to go to a gig here, it will be vaccinated only and masks will be mandatory the entire time, at least for the next 6 months. It is what it is, you know.

British Lion are managed by Explorer 1 Music:

I have just had a quick look at their website and could not find Rod having any role in the company (Andy Taylor is listed as “Senior Advisor to CEO”). Tony Newton is part of the leadership team.

That's the one - I knew I'd seen the name and thought it was a different set-up to Phantom Management.

If Steve's an anti-vaxxer, you minds as well mothball the entirety of Maiden's 2022 touring plans now.

I think mothballing BL's plans is one thing, but there's too much money involved in Maiden, if push came to shove I'd imagine he'd get the jab rather than lose the amount of money you're talking about.

That's if it is indeed Steve who is unvaccinated.

Bruce stated in one interview or another in the run-up to Senjutsu that the entire band were fully vaccinated and thus able to tour next year, I don't think there's any suggestion that Steve is an anti-vaxxer and to state that is speculation. Being opposed to vaccine mandates in order to participate in society is not equivalent to being anti-vaccines in general either, venues in Britain accept either a negative test or proof of full vaccination for entry to accommodate everybody. In my personal opinion everyone should consider doing a rapid test before going to a crowded event anyway to get a better level of assurance that they are not infectious, but that's just my view. If I catch covid from going to a concert I consider it as part and parcel of the risk, I have got sick from going to gigs many times in the past.

The BL social media post states that the protocols being adopted on The Darkness tour are more heavy handed than the legal minimum protocols laid out by the British Government and that there is some objection to that within the band, The Darkness post states that the policies were put in place specifically by certain venues and promoters. We really have nothing more to go on than that.

Bruce stated in one interview or another in the run-up to Senjutsu that the entire band were fully vaccinated and thus able to tour next year,
Have you got a link to that?
venues in Britain accept either a negative test or proof of full vaccination for entry to accommodate everybody
Not Britain, England. There are tougher restrictions in Scotland including Covid passports.
If I catch covid from going to a concert I consider it as part and parcel of the risk, I have got sick from going to gigs many times in the past.
Catching the cold or flu virus going to shows isn't in the same league as catching Covid-19.
The BL social media post states that the protocols being adopted on The Darkness tour are more heavy handed than the legal minimum protocols laid out by the British Government and that there is some objection to that within the band, The Darkness post states that the policies were put in place specifically by certain venues and promoters. We really have nothing more to go on than that.
The legal minimum protocols in most of the UK are little more than "take your chances, sucker" so I applaud any venue or promoter being more heavy handed. And they've got good reason to be considering the amount of big tours that have had to be cancelled in the past few months due to one or more members of whichever act getting the Rona.

Someone in BL clearly isn't happy about this and frankly the only one with the clout to cancel an entire tour is Steve. Therefore, I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that it's Steve who hasn't vaccinated. I hope I'm wrong but considering we've had almost total radio silence from the BL camp aside from their one vague statement I think they clearly don't want us knowing something that could potentially damage not only their brand but more importantly the Maiden brand.

“I had both jabs,” Dickinson revealed. “Everybody I know has had both jabs. And I'm quite happy about it. You know, none of us have started growing extra heads, suddenly wanting to sidle up to 5G phone masts or expressed a willingness to go down on Bill Gates. So, all of these things, I think it's largely a myth.”

Excerpt from an interview. I would think everybody he knows would include Steve…

Maybe we can put away our torches and pitchforks now?

Last edited:
Have you got a link to that?

I haven't unfortunately, I can't even remember if it was a written article or a video interview but I do distinctly remember Bruce saying (with regards to Maiden): 'We are all double vaccinated now anyway'.

EDIT: It could be that I read the one Iron Lurker posted and had interpreted that to include the band. I find it hard to see how Maiden and BL would have tour dates in the calendar for next year if Steve didn't want to be vaccinated against covid though, given the obvious barriers to travel.

Last edited:

“I had both jabs,” Dickinson revealed. “Everybody I know has had both jabs. And I'm quite happy about it. You know, none of us have started growing extra heads, suddenly wanting to sidle up to 5G phone masts or expressed a willingness to go down on Bill Gates. So, all of these things, I think it's largely a myth.”

Excerpt from an interview. I would think everybody he knows would include Steve…

Maybe we can put away our torches and pitchforks now?
I don't think that includes Steve. Steve isn't Bruce's inner circle. I don't think anyone in Maiden is, he is probably talking about family members and close friends.

Back