Steve Harris

I like the vocalist a lot, but I agree that he doesn't fit. He was great on the first two songs, but the other songs... he still sounded good, but there was a weird disconnect for me.

Worst album of the year? He clearly hasn't had the displeasure of listening to fun.'s album.

A lot of people have said a lot of things on this thread.
Disagree or not, they all made sense.
A self-professed Maiden fan calling this the worst album of the year?
No sense at all.
Unless the only other album the guy listened to was Awoken Broken.

I must confess I haven't listened to many albums that came out this year but British Lion sure as hell doesn't come even close to a bad album. This guy must be having personal issues.

Weird how both Steve's and Adrian's recent releases are heavier in parts than typical Maiden. I like the thin but sweet sound of the vocals, a bit ghostly. Nice bass from Steve throughout of course. It would have been nice to hear Dave playing one of the guitars..would have made a contrast to Adrian's work with Bruce.
Us Against The World is brilliant - a tubular bells opening then a maidenesque chorus with ghostly vocals within the mix. Bass in the forefront.

Waiting for the CD to come in so I started listing on youtube. I had zero expectations for this (not saying I thought it was going to be bad) and I'm digging the vocals and the whole sound . Calling it the worst album of the year is a bit ridiculous, I can tell why Maiden/metal fans might dislike the Vocals, but really worst album of the year:lol:? Its different the what I've been listing to lately and I think its a refreshing change, cant wait to have it spinning in my car for while! Its mostly Maiden fans listing to and bitching about it on youtube but I wonder what "outsiders":p would think of it?

After listening to it a couple times, I canceled my pre-order :ninja: <<ducks>>. The music is pretty good, the vocals are fine, though I'm not sure what basis others have for saying they "love" the vocals. But, after a couple listens, I must confess it didn't smack me on the side of the head as a definite keeper. That said, I have it as one of my "favorites" on MOG and I'll continue listening (and Steve can still get royalties a fraction of a cent at a time). If it truly grows on me, I'll spring for the disc. Ditto the new Muse, which I hated upon first listen last night (canceled that pre-order too).

As I posted elsewhere a month or two ago, MOG rules. It (andits competitor, Spotify) has really changed the way I think about buying CDs. Nowadays I only buy discs that (a) I know will stay in my collection a long time and/or (b) that sound really good. I like searching the local used record stores for out-of-print original masterings that simply sound better than the current releases, e.g., the Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold & Platinum compilation and the original 80's Iron Maiden CD releases on Capitol. Part of what I didn't like about the streamed version of British Lion was that it sounded pretty bad -- not the music itself, but the sound quality, as it was too loud and distorted. The MOG version sounds better, albeit still with that muddy Caveman Shirley production sound that I don't particularly like. How does the actual CD sound?

I preordered it on iTunes and am very disappointed with the sound.
In my headphones, it's thin, dry and dusty and no better than the preview I heard on Facebook.
On my shitty stock car stereo, Steve's bass is so out front it's ridiculous.

As far as the music goes after few listens, I'm struck by how light it is in places.
I'd go as far to say as songs like Eyes of the Young and the Chosen Ones are Journey-esque.
Or, more closely, does anyone remember the Journey offshoot band Bad English?

As far as the music goes after few listens, I'm struck by how light it is in places.
I'd go as far to say as songs like Eyes of the Young and the Chosen Ones are Journey-esque.
Or, more closely, does anyone remember the Journey offshoot band Bad English?

Eyes of the Young would not have been out of place on a Bryan Adams album.

The guitar bit at 4:45 of the Chosen Ones sounds almost exactly like "Peace of Mind" by Boston.

The 'commercial reception' is good, at least for the UK.

On the British Charts, the midweeks chart sales suggest the album will debut at number 23 (according to the Official UK Charts Company).
However, it is likely to fall a bit when the complete chart week is counted (that will be this Sunday).

In comparison, Bruce's highest charting UK album was Tatooed Millionaire which made number 14 in 1990. However, his last album, Tyranny Of Souls barely crept inside the Top 75.

I'm really happy to see it's doing well, althought I wouldn't care to much about the comparison with Dickinson : the times have changed, and a top 20 now sales probably less than a top 50 then. And Maiden fans are known for buying the records and not downloading them. The leader of Iron Maiden will probably take more advantage of this than its (then) former singer.

I gave this a few more listens. I like the album, I think it is really solid, but not outstanding. A good overall effort and I would be interested in hearing more, I still think the vocals are sub par ... not compared to Bruce ... but compared with rock singers in general.

To me, this album is a bit like a dream coming true : a record with the sole name of Steve Harris on the sleeve. It's not what I've been dreaming of for years : a kind of progressive album, with long songs, long instrumental passages, keyboards, and (why not ?) no singer, etc. But it's not a desillusion. The most important thing for me is not deciding wether or not it's a good album : it's knowing that it is something sincere, well done. I think I can understand the idea behind this record. I'm delighted to see that my idol is full of energy, that he wants to use the long pauses in Maiden's activity.
Many people say that the singer doesn't fit the songs, and I completly disagree : the man was part of the project even before Steve himself knew he would do a solo record. And Steve has repetedly said during his long carrer that he adapts his songwriting to the singer : he has done so after recruiting Bruce, enlarging the musical possibilities of the band ; he did the same with Blaze, writing a very dark album perfectly in line with Blaze's voice ; I think he did the same with British Lion. Sure, the voice is sometimes a bit "light" : "Us against the World" is the most puzzling example, because it seems as if he was holding back his voice. But he's got a clean voice, and its "commercial hard-rock" style doesn't bother me the least : even Dream Theater's singer has this touch, and it is no big problem.
The songs are good, and the are have a growing effect on me. The week before the listening session on Harry's website, I was constantly listening to Mastodon, which was certainly not the best way to prepare my ears ; but now that all this is gone from my ears, I fully appreciate the album. I'm already hoping a new one, which will be very different I'm sure, and obviously, a new Maiden album.

James LaBrie in his prime is much better than this guy. Hell, I'd take modern JLB on a good day over him.

I like JLB's voice though, he just has a lot of trouble with it over the years.

Back