Steve Harris

I'm sorry but comparing this guy to Dream Theater's singer is hilarious.

Saying that he is as good as Labrie WOULD be hilarious. Comparing them is not, and you ACTUALLY do it implicitly by meaning they are not of the same league. I meant that he has also a "commercial" or "hard FM" touch in his voice, nothing more.

I've given this a couple of spins, and it's not bad. Reminds me a lot of bands like Boston, UFO, and Kansas, but it's not a "standout" album by any stretch. Honestly, if it wasn't Steve Harris, I probably wouldn't have given it as much attention.

The side projects of the guys in Maiden illustrate how Iron Maiden as a band is definitely much, much more than the sum of its parts.

The side projects of the guys in Maiden illustrate how Iron Maiden as a band is definitely much, much more than the sum of its parts.

They have all done something different as side projects. British Lion strives to be a commercially sounding rock album - and it succeeds in being exactly that - nothing more. Secondly, Bruce Dickinson's best vocal performance in his career is arguably on his solo album Tyranny of Souls. Steve Harris has always asked a little too much out of his singers in Maiden - there's no question about that.

Finally Steve did it.
I've been dreaming of that for circa 25 years or even more now. I am venerating every Steve penned song in Maiden's catalogue, and I could hardly (as many people) imagine that the guy would finally end up releasing a solo album after so many years dedicated to Iron Maiden alone. It is here now and it does not sound as I had imagined. It is just a different stuff and I like the idea (if not the album itself). Thank you Steve for riding the ship and helping me feeling happy as a bloody kid and all those bloody many years after :)
My own kids do love Iron Maiden too... life 's a wheel and it's rolling still...
Cheers

It's growing slightly on me. I can't get past the production though. This is obviously something Shirley did as a favor to Steve and he must've spent only a short time mixing it. All Steve's fault though for supplying him with poor recordings. I would've liked the drums though in a way if the stereo image wasn't so damn fucking wide. Doesn't fit here.

I just got my British Lion CD in the mail (US resident, ordered from Amazon.com), but something confused me: The CD came with a little paper telling me that it includes the album at a bitrate of 192 kbps. Is there any reason I would want to do this when I can rip it using iTunes at 256 kbps?

Wait, the CD itself contains only a compressed, lossy version of the album?? Or, is it just giving you a link for an additional download? If the former, that's completely unacceptable. If the latter, yes, you should just rip it at 256, or higher (WAV or Apple Lossless).

The stuff 425 talks about came as an extra (it's not instead of the CD quality). Quite unnecessary if you ask me.

No, people. I got the CD myself now, and what it tells you is that it has the entire album as MP3 files in 192 kbps as a bonus to the regular CD. I don't see why this needs to be criticised, it does save me the hassle of ripping the CD. But people need to be negative about everything, apparently.

You've probably seen the news already. A video for This Is My God is released tomorrow.
I'm very curious to see it.

Now alot of people are saying its growing on them after more listens...maybe I should give it another shot.

I'll be interested in checking out the video tomorrow as well.

Yeah, sorry for being unclear, when you insert the disc in your computer it includes, in addition to the album, 192kbps mp3 files. But that does not preclude you ripping the album, it's just to make it easier to get them on mp3 if you don't care about quality/for some reason can't/don't know how to rip. Interestingly, in addition to the aforementioned files, there is another set of mp3s for the album which are 2 db louder. I'm not really sure what the purpose of any of that is, but I suppose there's no harm in it existing, since you don't have to use it.

Video for This is my God:

A mistake, to me. Have never liked music videos though. Funny to have one of the guitarists playing a Jackson Adrian Smith signature in the video... I do wonder if it's an endorsement through the connection with Maiden, or something like that. Seems kind of odd choice of guitar if it wasn't. It makes the connection to Maiden so much stronger, I mean. Shows that this isn't something that's standing on it own legs.

Funny to have one of the guitarists playing a Jackson Adrian Smith signature in the video...

That was the very first thing that struck me. WTF? :eek:

I can't help but feel the singer it struggling, especially in the end. Sorry, I just can't like the way he sound.

Back