Steve Harris

Are there any fans of British Lion here? I'm not reading all 44 pages of this thread but wanted to pop in to see what the consensus was on that album. I was super disappointed. It's not bad, it's just really bland, boring, and mediocre. The worst part is the vocals. The singer can sing well enough but he sounds SO quiet. I thought it was the production but even live he sounds very quiet. I'm looking for opinions that are not like my opinion.

I am afraid I agree with you, so my opinion is like yours. I was massively underwhelmed by this project, which on paper sounded really exciting but failed to deliver. In my humble opinion, really mediocre songs with a very bland singer.

I have not seen British Lion live (they have yet to come to Guildford), but the general opinion is that they sound better live than on the album.

Great live. Recommend any Maiden fan to not think twice about going to a gig.

I was disappointed at first by the album, but after listening to it a few times, realized that the production was ruining some decent songs. I've listened to it more than any of Adrian Smith's solo stuff.

A world without heaven is the best track on the album, the mid section is brilliant, give that a few listens.

They played in Oxford three years ago though. That's not too far away.

It is if you find the material as underwhelming as I do. :lol:

Anyway, I am taking Steve's words that he would be as happy playing Guildford as he is playing Madison Square Garden as a hope that he would find time at some point to play a club gig here:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/steve-harris-burning-ambition

The last time he played at the venue he mentions (Guildford Civil Hall) was in 1981 and the venue no longer exists. We now have G Live, which is too big for British Lion, but he could always play at The Boileroom. :D

Are there any fans of British Lion here? I'm not reading all 44 pages of this thread but wanted to pop in to see what the consensus was on that album. I was super disappointed. It's not bad, it's just really bland, boring, and mediocre. The worst part is the vocals. The singer can sing well enough but he sounds SO quiet. I thought it was the production but even live he sounds very quiet. I'm looking for opinions that are not like my opinion.
I disagree with the vocalist being quiet live. He comes across to me as putting a lot into it, it's just not a brootal or macho style. I thought the album was decent enough, if a far cry from Maiden, but enjoy them a lot more live. The atmosphere is great at these small shows, and everyone (including the band) just relaxes and enjoys themselves. Despite that, I don't find it too pedestrian.* It's definitely Steve's chilled night off band, somewhere between a small gig and seeing a major musician appear at an open mic night.

* unless you absolutely insist on comparing and contrasting every last detail to a major all-singing, all-dancing, all-exploding Maiden show :p

I disagree with the vocalist being quiet live. He comes across to me as putting a lot into it, it's just not a brootal or macho style. I thought the album was decent enough, if a far cry from Maiden, but enjoy them a lot more live. The atmosphere is great at these small shows, and everyone (including the band) just relaxes and enjoys themselves. Despite that, I don't find it too pedestrian.* It's definitely Steve's chilled night off band, somewhere between a small gig and seeing a major musician appear at an open mic night.

* unless you absolutely insist on comparing and contrasting every last detail to a major all-singing, all-dancing, all-exploding Maiden show :p
I’ve watched some live footage of him on YouTube; it’s clear he can sing. He just sounds so quiet or buried in the mix. I’ve looked up multiple videos and vocal wise it’s all the same. It sounds like he’s belting into a microphone that’s turned up to 4 out of 10. I’m not complaining that he’s not Bruce, just that’s he’s kinda noiseless and boring. For comparison I love Bruce, Blaze, Paul, Mike Patton, Bowie, Devin Townsend, and Garm as my fave vocalists. Not sure what that says about me but there it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing this show (definitely in Toronto - possibly in Waterloo) next week.

Does anyone know if there are any fan meet & greets before/after the show?

I will rather ask him when his is coming. It was supposed to be out last year, and I don't really care about Bruce's.

I would have loved to do Waterloo and Ottawa gigs, but I must absolutely be at work on monday. That's the end of the school holidays in my area, and I would never ever have got a special permission to go to a rock concert, let alone abroad. Next year, if BL tour Europe, I will do loads of gigs.

Unfortunately it's not going to happen for this show (I'm not even sure if I can catch the one in Waterloo). But hopefully Maiden will give me a reason to be there next year - it's certainly not going to be for the Senators!
Well, I'm just saying that there will be a Maidenfans Canada Meetup somewhere in Ottawa...

Something like this then:

Ze6Ihgo.gif

Back