Steve Harris On That Metal Show

I'd rather think that when acting under the Maiden banner, those guys act as a real band ( and Steve himself has apparently changed a lot on that respect), but when it comes to solo stuff, there is a stiff competition beetween them.
It's true that watching the road reports or Flight 666, I've always been puzzled by the lack of contact between them after the shows, but after such a long time, this is normal.

Yeah. And Steve's thanklist gets bigger with every album he releases. Now he has 6 or 7 children or something. That keeps him busy as well. ;-)

6. He talked a lot about how he put the solo album together, he was amazed he could keep it a secret that long, and that Nicko asked to hear it but no one else in the band has talked to him about it. He said it would be weird for him to put his band-mates on the spot by asking them what they thought of it. I thought that was an interesting view into the dynamic of the band.
7. He said this is the first time in a long time that he's done promotional stuff all by himself. He doesn't like it, and hopes to get the other band member involved. He much prefers bringing Nicko along to handle all the talking.

Lol, he does not talk to his band mates about his solo album but he still wants them to promote it? :)

EDIT: Oops, in 6 it's Maiden band mates and in 7 it's British Lion band mates. :)

A bunch of guys in their late 50's (early 60's) don't hang out together when not on stage!? Sounds like common sense. I'd suggest this is the reason Maiden have been around for 30+ years. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't get on. Although, judging by the speculation about who does & who does not get on, it would seem like there is/has been conflict mainly been the most creative members of the band, which is hardly unexpected; competing ideas, etc. Dave & Nicko seem to enjoy playing golf together though. And neither of them write much. Hmmm...

Can't wait! :)
Ok, I was well and prepared to give you a huge rundown of the episode (and I still did ) BUT I wanted to see if I could find it on another site that MAYBE you could watch it? The episode is 10x better to watch rather than trying to explain the whole thing and its well worth to watch especially if you're an H fan :D. So, try this site and see if it lets you watch the episode. If not then, I'll post my loooong summary :lol:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/blog/...-smith-stops-by-vh1-classics-that-metal-show/

Also here is a short little recap of the episode. It hits the main points of it and a rundown of what they talked about:

http://loudwire.com/that-metal-show...n-england-bruce-dickinsons-pilot-skills-more/

Well good thing I typed up a summary and saved it so I will be posting that for you later then :D. Its quite long but it is detailed. If you don't mind me asking, what trouble are having actually being able to view the video? What really needs to happen is someone NEEDS to post it on youtube.

This just about wins the prize for understatement of the year. :D
Ooo! Whats my prize? :p

Well, apparently only users from the US are allowed to view the videos. Having it posted on YouTube would be the solution obviously and I'm regularly checking in case someone actually has, but no luck so far.

I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to type up the summary. Thanks again.

That's really stupid how that's set up. Anyone should be able to view them. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it.

You're welcome! I'm glad to do it :).

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about? I'm just providing some important information regarding H on That Metal Show :p.

Caught the Steve Harris show yesterday ... fairly intersting, but not a ton of real news or new info IMO beyond that there will be another album coming at some point after this tour is over.

For Ariana. My summary of H's That Metal Show episode:

Ok, so the show starts out with the Top 5 Maiden albums which I discussed before. After a break, H comes on (and the crowd goes wild! :p) and the first topic of discussion is how hard it is to get Maiden members on the show and its not because they're blowing anyone off, its because they're busy touring and with their own lives and its not like they live exactly close.

They then go into the current Maiden England tour and how its modeled after the original tour and most of the songs are from Seventh Son. A funny little bit happened at this part where H couldn't exactly remember how many songs are on Seventh Son (8 or 9) and he looked to the crowd for help :p. H also talks about how he likes that they revisit the early days and do the old tours for the newer age fans. They continue to talk about touring in general. H explains how they have to organize how a tour is going to go and what songs to play if they're doing a certain theme and he also says how if a new album is out, its easy because they can just play most of the songs off that new album.
He also mentions that its hard to know what to play because they have such a big catalog and he says there's certain songs you just can't leave out. H gets asked if its kind of refreshing to go back and play songs they haven't played in a while and he says that he likes doing that and he sometimes likes to add little different things in the songs here and there but because everyone knows the songs so well, its hard to deviate too much from the songs.

They start talking about En Vivo abit and of course they crazy worldly fan base they have. They also talk about Ed Force One here a bit. H is asked if he was at all terrified the first time he flew up with Bruce and he admitted he wasn't because he had flown up in a small plane with him before and its not like he does flying for a hobby, hes an actual pilot so hes easy to trust. He talks more about it saying that Bruce will look at flight plans literally right before a show and after a show, Bruce doesn't even want to relax and just wants to fly right to the next city. While still talking about En Vivo, H says how they were on their way to a show in Japan when the earthquake/tsunami happened back in March 2011. They plane had to divert to another airport where it was stuck for several hours. H says that they were in the dark as to what was happening but were glad they didn't land a few minutes earlier.

After a break, they look at the 'Video Vault' where they show some old footage from the past and they show parts of Behind the Iron Curtain and talk more about the worldly fan base and how it was even crazy back then. The conversation then turns to when H first joined the group and if he and Dave clicked right from the start but H explains that he and Dave were friends way before Maiden days so it wasn't so awkward. They also talk about Bruce replacing Paul. H says how Paul was a great guy of course and says about Bruce replacing him that he did his own thing and didn't try to copy Paul at all and thats why he worked well as a replacement.

After another break, they finally get into Primal Rock Rebellion which H says he was working on for about 4 or 5 years with Mikee Goodman. H talks about how they met and started writing and became good friends and Primal Rock Rebellion was the result of that. Says how the album is a heavier, different sound with an industrial tinge and he also mentions how there are still guitar solos on the album.

They ask about the writing process of when they work on new stuff and H shared some insight saying that Steve used to bring in completed songs to the sessions. Now, he does more arranging and that he, Bruce and Steve do alot of writing together now which is different then how they use to. H jokes about maybe on the next album they should do shorter songs. They go on to talk about how the great thing about Maiden is that they don't have to worry about if a song will get played on the radio and so they can pretty much write what they want and they ask H if they were ever forced to write singles and he says they really weren't.

That's kind of where they end it then except for one of the hosts telling H to keep doing what they're doing (talking about Maiden). H is still on the show till the very end while they do their other stuff and that all isn't very note worthy.

Anyway, hope this is detailed enough for you! Sorry for it being so long but you did ask for detail so I just typed everything as I watched it really.

Enjoy and I hope one day you'll be able to watch this wonderful episode :D

Thanks a lot, Moon Child! :notworthy:
I just got into the office and this is a great way to start my day. Very enjoyable to read.

I'm glad you liked it! :D A good way to start your day off right. Now they just need to get it on YouTube so you can actually watch it.

Back