Steve Harris On That Metal Show

My ONLY problem with the episode was that they didn't do what they did with Adrian's episode, make a FULL Maiden episode with a Maiden Top 5 and Throw-Down and such. Guess I can't complain too much considering it was Steve on the show for the full hour and not just for part of it :D but that was my only issue. Oh and Marilyn Manson too....

To answer Forostar's question, the Top 5 was Maiden Albums. The list they decided on was:

1. Number of the Beast
2. Killers
3. Piece of Mind
4. Iron Maiden
5. Powerslave

As far as the episode was concerned, it was kind of the same as Steve's with asking questions about Maiden and fans and all that. They talked about En Vivo a bit too and of course they talked about Primal Rock Rebellion too. I apologize that its not in GREAT detail but it was just kind of the same formula as Steve's. Plus, I can't remember all the exact details...shame on me! :p

They decided on? Who were they? Not Adrian himself?

Huh?! I am surprised to see that he mentioned the first 5 Maiden albums!
I might be mistaken but I remember some other interview (Swedish television) where he mentioned SIT as one of his 3 favourite Maiden albums.

Shame on you!

Yeah, I remember this as well. Adrian and Bruce disagreed on SIT and Powerslave, which was Bruce's choice. Besides, why would he choose album he did not play on?

They are the 3 hosts of the show. At the beginning of every show, they do a top 5 of something or other in Hard Rock/Metal genre. Because H was going to be on the show, they did a top 5 Maiden Albums. Each host picked 5 albums and from their 5 they came up with one list of 5 albums and that's what they came up with.

Sorry! I should have explained it better. H didn't pick the albums. He came on the show after that was said and done.

Oh, believe me! I would in a heartbeat! :D ....But I'm at work right now... :(. I'll watch it when I get home and let you know! Not unless someone beats me to it which usually happens.

I saw the Steve Harris interview on TMS. It was mostly Eddie Trunk kissing his butt. Key take-aways:

1. He confirmed there would be another Iron Maiden album, but they haven't even begun to think about working on it -- they don't write songs while touring.
2. He seemed genuinely confused, even after all these years, why Iron Maiden is so popular worldwide. He said the band tries to really pour their heart out on stage and give the fans a good time, and speculates that this must be one reason why the fans are so loyal. He talked about people who have regular jobs who save up their money and plan vacations around following the band on tour, and seemed amazed and grateful for that.
3. He reiterated the band's desire to keep the tickets for the areas down front available for the "real fans, not the VIPs".
4. They showed an old clip from an interview he did in 1983, then asked him whether that was "around the time you changed singers" (it was actually two albums after that) and what that was like. He explained why they had to fire Paul.
5. He seemed surprised and a little dumbstruck to hear that Paul DiAnno has announced his retirement from music. Obviously they don't keep in touch.
6. He talked a lot about how he put the solo album together, he was amazed he could keep it a secret that long, and that Nicko asked to hear it but no one else in the band has talked to him about it. He said it would be weird for him to put his band-mates on the spot by asking them what they thought of it. I thought that was an interesting view into the dynamic of the band.
7. He said this is the first time in a long time that he's done promotional stuff all by himself. He doesn't like it, and hopes to get the other band member involved. He much prefers bringing Nicko along to handle all the talking.
8. He doesn't know much about whether and how extensively he will tour with the British Lion band, as he doesn't know what the response of the fans will be to the new album.

Two other things I forgot until I hit "post":

1) Eddie Trunk correctly guessed the trivia question (posed by an audience member): What was Iron Maiden's highest-charting album (as opposed to biggest selling inception-to-date).

The correct answer:
The Final Frontier

2) They asked him in the "throwdown" segment which rhythm section he liked better, Led Zeppelin's (JPJ+Bonzo) or Deep Purple's (Glover+Paice).

Steve's answer:
Zep

@ Cornfed Hick : a huge thank you for bothering to give us an account. I was litteraly out of my mind not being able to watch videos of the program.

Please, what did you mean with that sentence of yours : "I thought that was an interesting view into the dynamic of the band" ?

@ Cornfed Hick : Please, what did you mean with that sentence of yours : "I thought that was an interesting view into the dynamic of the band" ?
Just that, no one (other than Nicko) asked to hear any of Steve's music, and he didn't offer to play it for them either. I think we knew this, but these guys are obviously just business partners at this point, not friends. If one of my friends from work were to open a new business or start recording music or doing something new that they were passionate about, I'd want to see/hear it.

Great summary even though I saw the episode too. Maybe that's how I should outline the review of H's episode for Ariana except with lots more detail :p.

@ Cornfed Hick again. Thank you for the precision. I thought Steve and Dave were good friends, so maybe some of the guys dont dare to ask. I mean, Steve is the guy to whom they have to submit their work in Maiden.

I think we knew this, but these guys are obviously just business partners at this point, not friends.

I can imagine they are not friends but "just business partners" with such a lack of interest/sharing (caring actually!), I find that disappointing.

Back