Steve’s most unsingable vocal lines

naranja

Educated Fool
Steve has written some literally unsingable vocal lines in his time. He’s lucky that he has an absolute freak of nature in Bruce in the band that can manage them.

From Bruce’s book- “Steve had a habit of whistling softly into a portable cassette machine, and then transposing this into a vocal line or a guitar riff... I suddenly understood why a lot of Maiden vocal lines were virtually unsingable, or at least requires careful attention to phrasing to ensure you didn’t bite off the end of your tongue while wrapping your gills around the unnecessary consonants.

For Steve, the words exists in rhythmic space first and foremost, then perhaps lyrical or poetic space, and lastly in a format designed to make the most of the human voice.”

What are the most unsingable Maiden tunes?

The verses on The Red and the Black are ridiculous.

The Mother or Mercy copy and pasted chorus.

The literally impossible Lightning Strikes Twice chorus.

This part of Sotc

Praying to god won't keep me alive
Inside my head feel the fear start to rise...

They'll be saying their prayers when the moment comes

Hallowed Be Thy Name is pretty bad, especially this part (and the rest after it):

As the guards march me out to the courtyard
Someone calls from a cell God be with you
If theres a God then why has he let me die?

It's hard enough on the low tempo studio version... (And quite awkward - I think it flows better now... even though words are omitted and the diction isn't nearly as clear.)

I used to think Where Eagles Dare ain't so bad, but then I actually checked the lyrics, and what the fuck. That's quite a few syllables per line, there.

e: Ah, I see it's already been mentioned. Okay, Isle of Avalon. It's not nearly as bad as some of the other examples, but it has its moments of very awkward pacing to fit everything in.

"Bandits at 8 o'clock move in behind us
Ten ME-109's out of the sun
Ascending and turning our spitfires to face them
Heading straight for them I press down my guns."

Those last two lines are a disaster in terms of singability.

I'm prone to falling into the same trap in my songwriting as well. My lyrics can be a mouthful and difficult to sing sometimes.

Aces High has always been easy to sing for me, it’s a matter of hitting the notes, lol.

Aces High has always been easy to sing for me, it’s a matter of hitting the notes, lol.
I also don't find "Aces High" that hard. Steve has done waaaaaay worse than that.

It's not just about being able to get the words out. It's virtually impossible to sing those lines without sounding like you're just trying to get the words out in time, because they're too long.

It's virtually impossible to sing those lines without sounding like you're just trying to get the words out in time, because they're too long.

Got to get words out before it's too late!

Screaming, mumbling, shouting
Struggling, singing, belting, screaming again
Screaming, mumbling, shouting
Struggling, singing, belting, screaming again

Sing, live to scream, scream to live
Hit those notes, won't you...
Sing, live to scream, scream to live
Notes are hiiiiiiiiigh

Back