Speed Of Light

How good is Speed of Light on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The lyrics:
Another time another place
A hollow universe in space
I took a trip to see the sights
That will be blacker than the night

One way ticket no returns
My shooting stars are vastly burnt
On the edge that you can see

Let's shoot the moon you and me
I'm not particular you'll see
Just a lonesome galaxy

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
We slip into the night

I'll say a mass for you and wave
Shooting plasma from my grave

Event horizon lost in space
Running in a human race

I don't know where I don't know why
But somehow back in time again
I'm on the edge that you can see

I'm not particular at night
A single party calling me
You won't be tracking me by sight

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
We're slipping through the night

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows and the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

We're slipping through the night

Wow, too many words and yet the song doesn't feel like Bruce is singing all the time. Pretty cool song although it doesn't make any sense lyrically.

Those lyrics sound like Bruce wrote them, alright.

I think this song works better in the context of the album than it did as a standalone single. A great change of pace from the way the opener ends.

I liked it as a standalone, but agree it really fits well between its bookend songs

I think this is an incredible song, and it really stands out on the album, as it's the only song on it which has a really upbeat feel to it. I just learned how to play this song today on guitar, and it is immense fun to play and sing along to as well. For me, it's the best lead single for a Maiden album since "Man On The Edge". It's just a very fun song, with a great sense of urgency, and a classic solo battle between Davey and H to top it off. It's definitely not out of place, or inferior when compared to the other songs on the album, with it's immediacy being a strength rather than a handicap.

I think this is an incredible song, and it really stands out on the album, as it's the only song on it which has a really upbeat feel to it. I just learned how to play this song today on guitar, and it is immense fun to play and sing along to as well. For me, it's the best lead single for a Maiden album since "Man On The Edge". It's just a very fun song, with a great sense of urgency, and a classic solo battle between Davey and H to top it off. It's definitely not out of place, or inferior when compared to the other songs on the album, with it's immediacy being a strength rather than a handicap.
After several listens to the whole album this song feels like it doesn't belong here. Maybe because I've heard it so many times before?

I only listened to SoL about a half dozen times after it came out, so it's still fresh to me. The effect when it kicks in after Eternity gets better with every play. Perfect for a second track.

I only listened to SoL about a half dozen times after it came out, so it's still fresh to me. The effect when it kicks in after Eternity gets better with every play. Perfect for a second track.

Yes. It is really a Aces High 2Minutes opening

I agree that SOL is perfectly placed in it's position as the 2nd track. The song has a greater effect in a full album context in that position, than if it had been placed elsewhere in the tracklisting. It's a wonderful blast of fun sandwiched between the darkly epic 1st song, and the simmering brooding of the 3rd song. It's a welcome shift of pace and mood, and helps with the flow of the album greatly.

Take away the cowbell & it's great. Speed up the main riff & you have Sanctuary. Has a very old school Maiden vibe to it. Catchy as hell Chorus. I don't know why people call it one of the weaker on the album. I think it's great.

Mid tempo, this is what Maiden are now, and it rocks. The harmonies are ridiculous & the vocals are very good. Catchiest chorus in a long time!

Official Lyrics:

Another time, another place
A hollow universe in space
I took a trip to see the sights
I will be blacker than the night
One way ticket no return
My shooting star so fast it burns
On the edge that you can't see
Let's shoot the moon, you and me
I'm not particular you see
Just a lonesome galaxy

Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light
Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
We slip into the night

I'll say a mass for you and wave
Shooting plasma from my grave
Event horizon lost in space
Running in a human race
I don't know where I don't know when
But somehow back there time again
I'm on the edge that you can't see
I’m not particular at night
A single particle of me
You won’t be tracking me by sight

Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light
Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
We slip into the night

Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light
Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light
Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light
We slip into the night!

It grew on me when I heard it the the context of the album. Its nice. It's far from the worst on the album.

I didn't get burnt out on this one and only heard it 3-4 times before hearing the whole album... When it comes to reunion era short rockers, I think only The Wicker Man and Different World are better and it's on par with Rainmaker, maybe even better. Pretty much the type of song TFF was missing to make it a perfect album... it'd fit so much better than The Alchemist since it's gazillion times better.

Back