Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

Let's see how many references to Maiden's history we can come up with...I'll start.

1) The Wasted Years control panel from the Wasted Years single at the start of the video...

2. Charlotte from Charlotte the Harlot at the beginning of the pixel video game..

3) The Killers axe in space

A colleague of mine who's not into Maiden (or metal for that matter) just watched the video and gave it a 7/10, praising the graphics especially.
Based on this totally ridiculous mini-study I infer that the video may appeal to a wide audience.

Let's see how many references to Maiden's history we can come up with...I'll start.

1) The Wasted Years control panel from the Wasted Years single at the start of the video...

2. Charlotte from Charlotte the Harlot at the beginning of the pixel video game..

3) The Killers axe in space

4) Killers Eddie in the first pixel part (he uses his axe to destroy the flames too!...is the big bad guy who abducts Charlotte also a reference?)

4) Killers Eddie in the first pixel part (he uses his axe to destroy the flames too!...is the big bad guy who abducts Charlotte also a reference?)

5) In the second video game part there is a poster for Trooper beer on one of the buildings.

6) In the section where Eddie gets the second heart we can see the alien skull from TFF, the Cyborg arm from SIT and the foetus creature from SOASS all in jars as well.

Not sure but...

7) The donkey kong scene is taken from the Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter artwork

8) The bad guy is throwing boxes with eyes on them that flames up like the TV boxes on the Holy Smoke artwork

Mediocre song, classic latter day maiden single. Video clip is clever, baring in mind the band's dislike for starring in them or recording them

A colleague of mine who's not into Maiden (or metal for that matter) just watched the video and gave it a 7/10, praising the graphics especially.
Based on this totally ridiculous mini-study I infer that the video may appeal to a wide audience.

I think you are running into methodological problems with this assessment.

As far as games are concerned and to complete SixesAlltheway's list, I think I can recognize
1) Donkey Kong / BYDTTS artwork
2) Robocop (partly) / Live After Death into Somewhere in time artwork
3) Mortal Kombat w/ Barbarian (cf the blood gushing from the devil's throat) / Run to the Hills artwork
4) Quake / The Book of Souls artwork.

For me, the song is a decent rocker, but the Wicker Man is still better, as is El Dorado or TFF.

The cowbell is really out of place and the first drum fill (in between the cowbells) raised a question mark above my head as soon as I had heard it. Really really weird timing.

As for the lyrics, they're pretty superficial. Event horizons are mentioned, plasma, planets, moons... But in its entirety, the song is just listing "space things" without much meaning. A step down from the extremely clever El Dorado lyrics.

As far as games are concerned and to complete SixesAlltheway's list, I think I can recognize
1) Donkey Kong / BYDTTS artwork
2) Robocop (partly) / Live After Death into Somewhere in time artwork
3) Mortal Kombat w/ Barbarian (cf the blood gushing from the devil's throat) / Run to the Hills artwork
4) Quake / The Book of Souls artwork.

When Eddie kicks The Beast up into the air in the third section and proceeds to combo him it looks very similar to when a character performs Super or Ultra in Street Fighter, so an homage to another fighting game as well as the obvious Mortal Kombat.

Pause the video at 4:53 when Eddie is back in the arcade hall. You can see arcade machines from all the "stages" he was in..There's a Live After Death machine, a Matter of Life and Death machine, etc :)

Also you can see the new Speed of Light artwork on the side of the machine he is standing at.

9) There's also a poster that looks like it could be original Eddie from the Iron Maiden cover at the bottom of the building that he starts out at.

I also noticed with amusement a bat hovering over the moon in that first pixel game! (shout out to Batman I'm guessing)

I also noticed with amusement a bat hovering over the moon in that first pixel game! (shout out to Batman I'm guessing)

That's still from the Bring Your Daughter....artwork though :)

Iron-Maiden-Bring-Your-Daught-562127.jpg

When Eddie climbs the ladder in the SIT era stage before falling down he passes the red and the green lighted windows from the Killers cover...

I like the song. However once more the sound is not good. I can't put my finger on it but the sound does not fit the song at all (in my opinion). I don't agree that this is a lively sound at all. Live maybe because of the mistakes but the mix just does not sound good to me.

EDIT: I am also going through some songs from the new Ghost album. Now this is a GOOD sound and mix.

I like the song. However once more the sound is not good. I can't put my finger on it but the sound does not fit the song at all (in my opinion). I don't agree that this is a lively sound at all. Live maybe because of the mistakes but the mix just does not sound good to me.

EDIT: I am also going through some songs from the new Ghost album. Now this is a GOOD sound and mix.

Definitely agree with you with regards to Ghost, I've been getting into them recently, great band.

The more I think about it, the more problems I see with this study.

Starting out, you are not providing a statement of methodology, as I already indicated. I understand that "not into Maiden (or metal for that matter)" is meant to be a quantification of your test subject's potential prejudice towards the experiment, but the problem is that the quantification is worthless if we are not provided with any data to follow your assessment. Does your test subject merely shrug and say "meh" when they hear The Trooper or do they want to rip their ears out and fill them with manure when exposed to Megadeth?
I find this problematic because you are depriving your audience of the possibility to reproduce your experiment and compare the results. Granted, I have no access to your test subject, but I am also not able to find one with the same values myself. Granted, finding a person "who's not into Maiden (or metal for that matter)" is not difficult, but what other conditions may speak about the possible prejudice of the subject towards the experiment? What environmental conditions did the experiment take place in? To name but one of many possibilities, the (relatively) positive response of your subject may be due to their suffering of a fever which was cured by the cowbell in the song. Did you conduct medical tests before and after this incident?
To be fair, I am not criticising your study per se, nor do I question its validity, but I find this publication disappointing. It makes your experiment look like a totally ridiculous mini-study.

The more I think about it, the more problems I see with this study.

Starting out, you are not providing a statement of methodology, as I already indicated. I understand that "not into Maiden (or metal for that matter)" is meant to be a quantification of your test subject's potential prejudice towards the experiment, but the problem is that the quantification is worthless if we are not provided with any data to follow your assessment. Does your test subject merely shrug and say "meh" when they hear The Trooper or do they want to rip their ears out and fill them with manure when exposed to Megadeth?
I find this problematic because you are depriving your audience of the possibility to reproduce your experiment and compare the results. Granted, I have no access to your test subject, but I am also not able to find one with the same values myself. Granted, finding a person "who's not into Maiden (or metal for that matter)" is not difficult, but what other conditions may speak about the possible prejudice of the subject towards the experiment? What environmental conditions did the experiment take place in? To name but one of many possibilities, the (relatively) positive response of your subject may be due to their suffering of a fever which was cured by the cowbell in the song. Did you conduct medical tests before and after this incident?
To be fair, I am not criticising your study per se, nor do I question its validity, but I find this publication disappointing. It makes your experiment look like a totally ridiculous mini-study.

I've seen harsher reviews than this. I think I even gave one once.

Now, about the video: I like it a lot. It's really cool. But if I was to nitpick, there's one thing that bothers me.

The last level, the first-person one, is supposed to represent The Book of Souls, right? And that album is supposed to have a Mayan vibe to it, right? Then why, please in the name of everything explain it to me, why is there an Aztec sun stone?
mad0136.gif
Aztec and Maya are not the same. They are not. Putting an Aztec item in a Maya environment is like depicting Plato's library with a Qur'an. The Aztecs appeared in the 13th century, the classic Maya age ended seven hundred years before that. They spoke entirely different languages and had entirely different belief systems. I know that in the 2012 hysteria, the Aztec sun stone was always shown depicting the Mayan calendar, and it was wrong then already.

tumblr_inline_ns7p2ecat91r3uqae_500.gif

I'm taking this as a reference to poorly researched video games, not the album artwork.

Back