Sons of Apollo

I like that set.
It's nice that they now have 2 albums to pull from and they can focus pretty much soley on their own stuff without having to pull out a bunch of covers and other stuff.
I'll be seeing them for the first time in 1 week!

Solid set indeed, I’m pumped for the show next week!

I could tell from the first listen that Goodbye Divinity was going to be an opener. It’s literally made so each member can walk out in order of their ego.

I’m glad they’re playing fewer covers this time around. Hearing these talented musicians play Van Halen was super lame last time.

Also, Sheehan is a beast, but a band like this absolutely does not need a standalone solo at a gig.

Was listening to Dream Theater live version of Lines in the Sand from Chaos In Motion; James' vocals on the chorus were painful to listen to...horrible!
Then I heard Jeff's vocals on the SOA live lp; MUCH better.

Really enjoyed seeing that song played live by SOA on the first tour

I forgot to recap: saw Sons of Apollo a couple weeks back with @Detective Beauregard and @Lampwick 43 out in a Chicago suburb. Went to a few breweries beforehand so that we were nice and lubricated for an awesome show.

This setlist was miles better than the first time we saw them (too many covers on that tour). Band was awesome as always and the standout (once again) was Bumblefoot just being a monster guitarist and singing most of the high parts (including some of the stuff Soto does on the records).

A fun show, good band. I would loved to see them again in a club setting instead of a seated theater, but oh well.

I forgot to recap: saw Sons of Apollo a couple weeks back with @Detective Beauregard and @Lampwick 43 out in a Chicago suburb. Went to a few breweries beforehand so that we were nice and lubricated for an awesome show.

This setlist was miles better than the first time we saw them (too many covers on that tour). Band was awesome as always and the standout (once again) was Bumblefoot just being a monster guitarist and singing most of the high parts (including some of the stuff Soto does on the records).

A fun show, good band. I would loved to see them again in a club setting instead of a seated theater, but oh well.
I'm jealous! This is a VERY short US tour; not anywhere near me...yet. Probably (hopefully) announce more dates when they return.

I'm jealous! This is a VERY short US tour; not anywhere near me...yet. Probably (hopefully) announce more dates when they return.

Definitely a band that I find quite enjoyable and would always see again. All of their songs are pretty good and they're all monster performers. Just wish they'd play some cheaper venues.

I'm a bit jealous. I'd love to see them! However it seems as though Mike Portnoy (and even Dream Theater) aren't aware that Spokane is a city.

I remember when they played my town on their first tour; it was the same night as Helmet/Prong in one venue and Battle Beast/Delain/Kamelot in another! Of the three, even though I like all the bands, I am glad I chose to see Sons of Apollo.

Definitely the right choice. Battle Beast is great and Kamelot probably played 2-3 great songs, but Sons of Apollo is just a fun, professional gig.

Definitely a band that I find quite enjoyable and would always see again. All of their songs are pretty good and they're all monster performers. Just wish they'd play some cheaper venues.
I remember you weren't that big on New World Today when you first heard the new cd; was it better live?
I'm a bit concerned with the more than five minute instrumental section in the middle of the song losing the audience.

I remember you weren't that big on New World Today when you first heard the new cd; was it better live?
I'm a bit concerned with the more than five minute instrumental section in the middle of the song losing the audience.

I've warmed up to it a little bit for sure, though I still find it a little silly. Trust me, I don't think any SOA fans are the type to lose interest during instrumentals. If so, Derek and Billy need to have a talking to about their solo sections.

I'm a bit jealous. I'd love to see them! However it seems as though Mike Portnoy (and even Dream Theater) aren't aware that Spokane is a city.
Dream Theater seems to have forgotten the West coast extends further north than California for that matter.

Uh oh…
That sucks. Really great band. Also really great live.

If I’m reading between the lines: Portnoy was the problem? I mean, Sheehan’s a great player but easily the most replaceable in the band (as evidenced by his tour replacement).

I have a vague memory of seeing some passive aggressive posts from Sherinian that strongly implied that SoA was finished.

Also Portnoy has been known to not really be able to commit to bands that long anyway. Basically every band he’s spearheaded that he doesn’t involve Neal Morse has either quietly folded or Portnoy has quit the band.

Back