Sons of Apollo

That is kind of misleading. Derek says he doesn't want to play any more DT songs but then he says "Mike is in control of the setlist, a lot of it, and yeah, we kind of have to play from that record, because there's fans from both of us that really enjoy that record." I can't see MP not wanting to do Dream Theater songs. What Derek wants doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm surprised this band is still together honestly.

Really enjoying the digital new live lp that released today! The symphony playing with the covers works well with Kashmir & Diary of a Madman as well as the original Labyrinth. I like the clean channel separation of Bumblefoot's guitar (left) & Derek's keyboards (right). On God of the Sun & Sign of the Times there are some sounds I thought (when listening to the studio versions) were guitar but turns out were keys! Makes sense as Derek plays Eruption very well on his keyboards.

Only low point for me is that I don't think this was the best night for Jeff. His vocals, at times, sound more like screaming (or an attempt at least) than singing. Definitely sounded better when I saw them live.

Looks like an interesting setlist. I downloaded it. What unfortunate time to release an album, Tools release is sure to overshadow this. You would think that Portnoy would know this.

I like it as well. Good song, the keyboards in the beginning sound very cool, but why is Bumblefoot so hidden in the video? I love the fretless guitar parts. I'm no fan of Soto's, the voice is good, but his performance and character usually seem a bit "pseudo" to me, though it's not too bad here. Portnoy's the best drummer in the world for this stuff.

Listened to New World Today. Wasn't too bad but also didn't really do much for me. It kinda checks all the boxes for progressive metal, but it also lacks the personality or excitement of bands I enjoy. The ending was cool though. Great playing of course.

Listened to New World Today. Wasn't too bad but also didn't really do much for me. It kinda checks all the boxes for progressive metal, but it also lacks the personality or excitement of bands I enjoy. The ending was cool though. Great playing of course.

Probably my least favourite on the record so far. Good playing, but I don’t like the lyrics and the vocals seem disconnected from the music.

On first listen I like MMXX less than the debut. The new record seems more focused on rhythm than on melody, and the lyrics are more eye-rolly (really, how many songs need to reuse the soul metaphor...?).

There’s still good stuff on here, though, and I’ll keep listening to see if it grows on me more.

SOA started their tour last night. Here is setlist. Short US tour so far announced before heading elsewhere. No dates yet near me.

nice mix from both lps. Only song not played from MMXX is Resurrection Day. Only cover is one they haven't played before (to my knowledge) which is cool to not repeat same covers as last tour

Back