Songs where Nicko hits the china cymbal

I agree that this is an interesting thread. Although I don't kmow much about the technical side of musicianship - I'm not even sure what a China cymbal is - I would appreciate seeing more of this.

It is the high, hard/attacking/aggressive (especially when hit hard) and shorter sounding (shhhhh) one from the cymbals, often hanging on a far side. I'm sure you'll recognize this sound: click

Hear it's in The Duellists: go to the break starting at 1:06 and then the china follows at 1:08.

Here Nicko shows his China, see how different it looks (and sounds) from the other cymbals (@Lego do you know this clip, he criticizes the way the china landed on the album!?):
click

So he uses it most dominantly for playing the rhythm in The Book of Souls in this part:
click

Last edited:
I agree that this is an interesting thread. Although I don't kmow much about the technical side of musicianship - I'm not even sure what a China cymbal is - I would appreciate seeing more of this.
well whats outstanding about the china cymbal is that it makes such a unique sound compared to his crashes.

I add one song to the list (even though its live recording and not Nicko original)
Running Free - 2:10

@Lego what about 3:37 in this clip, the third hit with the snare as soon as one from the word (no-one) appears ? It might not be the first one (if it is one) but it comes close, doesn't it? Perhaps it is not high enough.

Foro, Duellists at 1:08 sounds more like splash cymbal to me. Also on 3:37 Flash of the blade. China tends to sustain longer I think

On Flash of the Blade, could be indeed. On The Duellists: nah.... can't imagine he'd use that on such a(n important) moment. And it sounds strong and clear enough for a china.

For some unclear reason I can't imagine him playing splash at all. I must have seen it once, but I've forgotten about it. Do we have any examples? E.g. on live songs so that we can see if/where that also happens on studio material?

That's why I said "sound like", it also might be a small diameter crash, I don't recall Nicko as using splash that much. And I'm not a drummer :)

attachment.php

Is that splash in the middle. On FOTB he does a cymbal run so it might be that last hit.

That's why I said "sound like", it also might be a small diameter crash, I don't recall Nicko as using splash that much. And I'm not a drummer :)

Is that splash in the middle. On FOTB he does a cymbal run so it might be that last hit.

Nicko doesnt use a splash, on that spot he has his 13" Heavy Bell 602.

@Lego what about 3:37 in this clip, the third hit with the snare as soon as one from the word (no-one) appears ? It might not be the first one (if it is one) but it comes close, doesn't it? Perhaps it is not high enough.
Those are all crash cymbal hits

Somewhere in Time:

Caught Somewhere In Time - 3:29
Wasted Years - 1:29ish (interspersed with crash hits halfway thru the chorus)
Sea of Madness - 0:00 (doubled with crashes)
Heaven Can Wait - 1:17
TLOTLDR - 1:53 (on the upbeats)
Stranger In A Strange Land - 0:17
Deja Vu - 1:56
Alexander The Great - 4:24

Some drummers and Nicko experts here. Good thread. Not that I'll remember this info in a weeks time ;)

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
Moonchild - 1:13 (the last hit of the last grouping of accents in the intro)
Infinite Dreams - 1:59
Can I Play With Madness - NONE
The Evil That Men Do - 3:17
SSOASS - 1:09
The Prophecy - NONE (possibly a double with a crash on the last hit before the acoustic outro, very hard to discern)
The Clairvoyant - 3:08 (super quiet, at the end of the accents under "just by looking through your eyes")
Only The Good Die Young - 0:10

The *ahem* subpar production on this makes it pretty difficult- the cymbals are all quite washed out and thin, making hard to differentiate cymbals hit in quick succession. Still, I've tried my best:

No Prayer For The Dying

Tailgunner - 0:20
Holy Smoke - 0:00 (doubled with crash)
NPFTD - 0:51
Public Enema No. 1 - 2:25
Fates Warning - 1:14?
The Assassin - 2:04
Run Silent Run Deep - 0:39
Hooks In You - 0:46
BYDTTS - 2:18 (doubled with crashes)
Mother Russia - 2:40ish (lots of overdubs here, multiple layers of crashes and timpani)

Back