Songs where Nicko hits the china cymbal

naikon

Nomad
Powerslave - 0:00
2 Minutes to Midnight - 3:29
The Longest Day - 5:39
The Duellists - 1:49 and 2:51 (thanks forostar)
These Colours Dont Run - 3:31
Running Free (live) - 2:10 Link

Please help me fill up with more songs cause ive surely missed some

Last edited:
Way more I guess. E.g. The Duellists, The Book of Souls. Nice question for @Lego as well.
Who knows we may find out on which album he used it in the most songs and on which album he used it in the least amount of songs.

id also like to add that at 5:02 in Ancient Mariner it sounds very much like a china sound but im pretty sure its actually his big gong. Or maybe he hits both

Haha, I thought you'd like this. Let's have it.

edit:
I like how Nicko hits the china in The Duellists when going into the second verse (after the 1st chorus: a break on the toms follows and then: bang). Another one ( a double hit!) at the start of Adrian's solo.

Perhaps his china (or how it landed in the mix) sounded the best on that album.

Last edited:
Haha, I thought you'd like this. Let's have it.

edit:
I like how Nicko hits the china in The Duellists when going into the second verse (after the 1st chorus: a break on the toms follows and then: bang). Another one ( a double hit!) at the start of Adrian's solo.

Perhaps his china (or how it landed in the mix) sounded the best on that album.
Great find Ill that to the list

Alright I've got a list going by album/song, but I'm only grabbing the first china hits in each. Otherwise this post would be unbelievably lengthy. Will post here when it's done

I can tell you right now before even finishing this that the winner is gonna likely be something from the '83-'88 era for sure.

That's fine. It's about counting songs mostly, or else it'd be too much (although naikon could continue of course).

Alright here's the first two done, this is taking longer than expected :D

One caveat- the way the cymbals are EQ'd and the way the songs are mixed on the '80s albums can make it a bit difficult to accurately ID crash vs. china sounds. Most of these are pretty easy to hear, but a few require repeated listens with headphones.

Piece of Mind:

Where Eagles Dare - 0:23
Revelations - 0:05 (doubled with crash cymbal hits)
Flight of Icarus - 0:00 (again, double with crash cymbal hits)
Die with Your Boots On - 0:46 (at the end of verse 1, just before the pre-chorus)
The Trooper - 0:57 (right before "As I Plunge On Into Sudden Death")
Still Life - 2:02
Quest for Fire - 0:59
Sun and Steel - 0:01 (doubled with crash)
To Tame A Land - 0:06

Powerslave:
Aces High - 0:25 (first hit after the intro)
2 Minutes to Midnight - 1:15
Losfer Words - 0:04 (doubled with crash)
Flash of the Blade - NONE (there may be some doubled-up hits, but it's very hard to tell the way things are mixed)
Duellists - 1:07
Back In The Village - 1:22 (going into verse 2)
Powerslave - 0:20 (on the non-fucked up original version, where the intro is still attached...)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 0:17 (just before vocals enter)

Alright here's the first two done, this is taking longer than expected :D

One caveat- the way the cymbals are EQ'd and the way the songs are mixed on the '80s albums can make it a bit difficult to accurately ID crash vs. china sounds. Most of these are pretty easy to hear, but a few require repeated listens with headphones.

Piece of Mind:

Where Eagles Dare - 0:23
Revelations - 0:05 (doubled with crash cymbal hits)
Flight of Icarus - 0:00 (again, double with crash cymbal hits)
Die with Your Boots On - 0:46 (at the end of verse 1, just before the pre-chorus)
The Trooper - 0:57 (right before "As I Plunge On Into Sudden Death")
Still Life - 2:02
Quest for Fire - 0:59
Sun and Steel - 0:01 (doubled with crash)
To Tame A Land - 0:06

Powerslave:
Aces High - 0:25 (first hit after the intro)
2 Minutes to Midnight - 1:15
Losfer Words - 0:04 (doubled with crash)
Flash of the Blade - NONE (there may be some doubled-up hits, but it's very hard to tell the way things are mixed)
Duellists - 1:07
Back In The Village - 1:22 (going into verse 2)
Powerslave - 0:20 (on the non-fucked up original version, where the intro is still attached...)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 0:17 (just before vocals enter)

Thats some great effort , i really didnt know it was that many songs

Piece of Mind and Powerslave-songs fits kinda well with the china sound, but it will be interesting to see if you find any in Somewhere in Time and forth on

Thats some great effort , i really didnt know it was that many songs

Piece of Mind and Powerslave-songs fits kinda well with the china sound, but it will be interesting to see if you find any in Somewhere in Time and forth on
Oh there's plenty- off hand really the only albums where he doesn't use it much are the Blaze-era albums, BNW and DOD.

Oh my god, this is incredible. I sincerely hope this spawns a million spin-off threads in the vein of "3 Favorite Members, 5 Favorite Hair Styles from Each..."

- Songs where Adrian, Dave, or Janick use a pick squeal
- Songs where Steve plays bass chords
- Songs where Adrian and Dave play unison solos
- Songs where Bruce sings nonsense syllables not listed in the original release lyrics booklet

Let's just make this the general all the technical trivia you never knew you wanted, the thread.

Back